Nintendo 3DS vs 3DS XL?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So.. I've got some money to burn and decided to get a 3DS. Couldn't find another thread on the 3DS anywhere.

Is the slightly bigger screen size for the XL worth it?
Any must have games (I plan on getting pokemon but would like a few others)?
Any other accessories/suggestions?

Thanks!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Some people dislike that the larger screen makes games less sharp since the resolution on these games is rather low. If you have big hands I'd recommend going with XL, the regular ones are pretty small for me (I'm 6'3).

I'd recommend the New Nintendo 2DS XL: save about 50 bucks cause the 3d effect, while cool, is hardly what I'd consider worth 50 dollars.

Must have games? Metroid Samus Returns, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, at least one Fire Emblem game. That should keep you busy for a while.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Get a 2DSXL.

2ds.900x.jpg

There are a million versions. That is a just announced purple one. I recently bought the Hylian Shield version because I am addicted to Zelda things.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Some people dislike that the larger screen makes games less sharp since the resolution on these games is rather low. If you have big hands I'd recommend going with XL, the regular ones are pretty small for me (I'm 6'3).

I'd recommend the New Nintendo 2DS XL: save about 50 bucks cause the 3d effect, while cool, is hardly what I'd consider worth 50 dollars.

Must have games? Metroid Samus Returns, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, at least one Fire Emblem game. That should keep you busy for a while.
Oh shit. Didn't even see the 2DS XL as an option. Screens are the exact same size too.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
I personally prefer the 3ds, but if you don't really care about the 3d then that 2ds seems like a great choice.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
3DS, the resolution is bad enough as it is.

I do like the 2DSXL's, as they're cheaper, and have a matte finish (I don't use the 3d on my 3DSXL as it is :( ). Must have games: Mario Kart, Zelda LttP and OoT, Bravely series, Ridge Racer. Target had a screw up/sale on Bravely Second, and I got it for $20 a few years ago, games can be had cheap on the used market too.

Do not buy Paper Mario Sticker Star, honestly one of the worst games I've ever played.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Oh ****. Didn't even see the 2DS XL as an option. Screens are the exact same size too.

Keep in mind there are a few 3DS games that can't be played on a 2DS.

Like Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the best 3DS games available and won't work. I think you can also play SNES classics on the 3DS but not on the 2DS.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
The screen on the 3DS is absolutely horrendous either way, so go with the size that suits your hands and lifestyle.

Ditto on the 2DS XL. The 3D is hokey and you have to turn it way down anyway to avoid headaches.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly i'm not even 100% sure it's worth buying one at this point.

While it's back catalog is very good, the incoming new games has all but dried up at this point. That being said, since you've decided already i can at least recommend some games;

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - successor to ALTTP and imo is one of the best games in the entire franchise.

Mario Golf: World Tour: A Mario sports game that doesn't blow.

Metroid: Samus Returns - While it's in theory a remake of the original Metroid II, it's not even recognizable given all the changes they made (in a good way)

Majora's Mask 3D: Completely overhauls a lot of the logistical/design issues the original N64 version had.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don’t believe there are any 3DS games that won’t work on a New 2DS.

Is the New 2DS different? I can't keep these slight variations in titles straight. I thought there was a thing where people who bought Xenoblade couldn't play it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Honestly i'm not even 100% sure it's worth buying one at this point.

While it's back catalog is very good, the incoming new games has all but dried up at this point. That being said, since you've decided already i can at least recommend some games;

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - successor to ALTTP and imo is one of the best games in the entire franchise.

Mario Golf: World Tour: A Mario sports game that doesn't blow.

Metroid: Samus Returns - While it's in theory a remake of the original Metroid II, it's not even recognizable given all the changes they made (in a good way)

Majora's Mask 3D: Completely overhauls a lot of the logistical/design issues the original N64 version had.

I've never fully played the original Majora's Mask so this as actually really enticing.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Is the New 2DS different? I can't keep these slight variations in titles straight. I thought there was a thing where people who bought Xenoblade couldn't play it.

Xenoblade Chronicles will only run on the "new XDS" because it needs the increased specs, it'll run on a New 2DS or a New 3DS.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I've never fully played the original Majora's Mask so this as actually really enticing.

Did you have a regular old 2DS?

Cause you can play those games on the New 2DS/3DS and there are some other great ones, namely the Castlevania games that are like Symphony of the Night.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

3D is def the best way to experience it imo.

Owl Statues now actually save your entire game instead of being a crappy save state type thing that you can lose if you're not careful

the touch screen serves as a quick change menu for all of your gear/masks. Similar to how Ocarina of Time 3D fixed the iron boots changing in the water temple, MM3D does the same here.

And i think they tweaked your notebook/sidequests to make them a bit more logical along with moving some stuff around (the stone mask i remember for sure being in a totally different spot than before)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad