Confirmed with Link: Nino to Wild for Cal Clutterbuck & Wild 3rd Rounder #70

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Maybe we should go to the Panthers board and thank them for Grabner... that probably won't ruffle any feathers...

Great idea, but 1st stop by the Vancouver board about Grabner and the Pittsburgh board about Moulson. Also stop by twice at the Kings board for Hickey/Moulson = )

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Okposo was better off in Bridgeport than in school.

Nino is better off in Minnesota than Long Island.. because, you see, at least one member of our coaching staff wanted to kick Niederreiter's ass.

Literally beat him up. Badly.

That's how much Nino was hated by some in our organization..

Matt Moulson, who we just sent packing to Buffalo, was praised and complimented up and down by out General Manager for what a great player and PERSON he is.. Nino, as an asset was fine, as a PERSON he's a little ***** so our GM had more of a "buh-bye!" tone.

Most people believe Nino will be a better player than Clutterbuck, but everyone KNOWS Clutterbuck will be a better Islander than Niederreiter..

If Nino fits in to the Wild culture better as a result of the trade, great. Maybe he grew as a person as a result of the trade.

We did what was right for us.. and if Nino scores some goals (2 so far this year!) and Wild fans want to wander over here and ha-ha at us from time to time, go for it.. like PWJunior said, NYI fans on HFBoards hashed out the trade from A to Z and back again..

I think I largely speak for the board when I say that we're now at peace with the trade.. even those of us (like me) who didn't like the trade for hockey reasons at the time have accepted it and it isn't an issue that lingers a ton on our board..

Amen

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
That was my position too, and still is. I agree with you.

I think you were equally interested in having our fan base lament losing Nino. Mostly, we don't.

The Islanders think they're better off. The Wild think they're better off. Nino thinks he's better off. Clutterbuck (and his new big fat contract) thinks he's better off.

There are some interpretations that can made, but on the whole it seems it's a rare circumstance where all parties got what they wanted. It was a win-win-win-win.

That writer clearly wrote the piece to pump up Nino's tires in his new market and that's fine too. So even the article writer got a win out of the trade.

Also this. Some good posts Jeff.

Ironically, Nino not working out for the Islanders opened the door for the Vanek deal.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I think it's funny that the tail (UMinn) wags the dog (Wild) in MN. Not funny in a nah na h nah nah nah way. Just in a funny huh way.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Any inspection of our draft history during Snow's tenure will clearly show that the NYI quite very much fancy the state of Minnesota as a developer of hockey players. Seem to take at least one Minnesotan per draft.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
CC has his best game as an Islander last night. At his best he is a 3rd liner , on a normal night he is a 4th liner. Why did we make the trade again?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
CC has his best game as an Islander last night. At his best he is a 3rd liner , on a normal night he is a 4th liner. Why did we make the trade again?

because he hits hard, plays with energy and inspiration, and when the Islanders play that way, they win. They played that way against the Pens the in the playoffs and gave them a good scare.

Clutterbuck's no game changer, but that's the role he provides and I believe why Snow wanted him.

This is no way reflects whether it was the right move or fair asset value for Nino specifically though. Maybe they could have landed Clutterbuck and kept their prized rookie.

I have no problem with Clutterbuck. He's no passenger out there. If you don't expect too much, he's not someone to complain about. Is he much better than Colin McDonald, who was acquired for NOTHING? Debatable. He has scored 10-19 goals four straight years - something not yet done by Okposo, Nielsen, Bailey.

Many get upset about the the Nino-Clutterbuck deal. But we may have traded the next Peter Mueller, Zherdev, Chistov, Filatov, Pouliott for Clutterbuck.

I'm not happy that Nino sulked his way off the team but I'm not unhappy with Clutterbuck on the Islanders.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Any inspection of our draft history during Snow's tenure will clearly show that the NYI quite very much fancy the state of Minnesota as a developer of hockey players. Seem to take at least one Minnesotan per draft.

Very true. With as much disdain Snow has for the Gopher hockey program, he sure loves to pick players from that team: Okposo, Ness, Bischoff and Cammarata have all been recent selections.

Other Minnesotans (not Gophers) taken include Anders Lee, Jason Clark and Brock Nelson.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Because our gm let his ego and temper dictate trade terms.

Nino and his agent probably thought draft day 2013, was Christmas coming early. Yeah, don't mess with Snow. He will banish you to another franchise :sarcasm:

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com

Also because on Nino's worst night (of which there are MANY) he isn't even a useful 4th liner. The choice was, acquire a young established grinder who will go through walls and provide toughness and a desired compete level on the ice and positive attitude and leadership in the locker room, along with an NHL caliber wrist shot that CAN provide offense.

Or continue coddling a kid and potentially putting him in the line-up every night crossing your fingers hoping that was a night he was going to show effort and play like a true top 6 player. Only to come up short most nights and fail to show any effort and nothing resembling a well rounded game.

Trust me, based on how Kyle Okposo and others are treated around here, had Nino stayed he would have been HATED around here. Instead before he proves anything he is dealt away for a young productive player with less upside and now Nino can be revered forever and held over Garths head.

I love the mentality of some 'fans' (or trolls) just be negative and contrary to EVERYTHING and you can give plausibility to any outlandish theory you want to create so long as the Islanders don't win a cup, you're ridiculous theory can't be dis-proven.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Also because on Nino's worst night (of which there are MANY) he isn't even a useful 4th liner. The choice was, acquire a young established grinder who will go through walls and provide toughness and a desired compete level on the ice and positive attitude and leadership in the locker room, along with an NHL caliber wrist shot that CAN provide offense.

Or continue coddling a kid and potentially putting him in the line-up every night crossing your fingers hoping that was a night he was going to show effort and play like a true top 6 player. Only to come up short most nights and fail to show any effort and nothing resembling a well rounded game.

Trust me, based on how Kyle Okposo and others are treated around here, had Nino stayed he would have been HATED around here. Instead before he proves anything he is dealt away for a young productive player with less upside and now Nino can be revered forever and held over Garths head.

I love the mentality of some 'fans' (or trolls) just be negative and contrary to EVERYTHING and you can give plausibility to any outlandish theory you want to create so long as the Islanders don't win a cup, you're ridiculous theory can't be dis-proven.

You post that if Nino had stayed, he would have been hated. Then you post about fans having outlandish theories that can't be dis-proven.

Pot meet kettle.:sarcasm:

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Can we close this and open it in about 2 years and then we will have a better take on this trade and how it worked out. Analyzing this tade after every game is getting ridiculous. Pretty soon we can do it after every shift...

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
It's hilarious how people on these boards get so butt-hurt and defensive when their opinion is challenged, especially in regards to the Nino/Clutterbuck and Moulson/Vanek deals. People act like your attacking their manhood or something when you disagree with them.
I liked the Nino trade, loved the Vanek trade, but I'm not gonna get into some schoolyard 5th grade pissing match because of it.

Rooting for your favorite team is supposed to be fun, right?

Let's go Islanders.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
You post that if Nino had stayed, he would have been hated. Then you post about fans having outlandish theories that can't be dis-proven.

Pot meet kettle.:sarcasm:

Correction, The Nino hate that was already prevalent on the board before he got traded would have grown in correlation to Islander fan viewership in much the same manor many presumed underachievers, low motor, inconsistent effort players all suffer while on Long Island, ALWAYS.

Thanks for pinning me down and requiring further clarification on my vague theory.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Correction, The Nino hate that was already prevalent on the board before he got traded would have grown in correlation to Islander fan viewership in much the same manor many presumed underachievers, low motor, inconsistent effort players all suffer while on Long Island, ALWAYS.

Thanks for pinning me down and requiring further clarification on my vague theory.

You presume Nino would have given a crappy , inconsistent effort and been hated for it.

Much like the post trade comments from some fans,who presumed Nino would not work hard in either the isles training camp or the Wild training camp. Like the fans who presumed Nino would not make the Wild roster. Like the fans who presumed Nino would be demoted to the Wild AHL club and throw a hissy fit out the door. Like the fans who presumed 21 yr old Nino, could not get his development back on track.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
You presume Nino would have given a crappy , inconsistent effort and been hated for it.

Much like the post trade comments from some fans,who presumed Nino would not work hard in either the isles training camp or the Wild training camp. Like the fans who presumed Nino would not make the Wild roster. Like the fans who presumed Nino would be demoted to the Wild AHL club and throw a hissy fit out the door. Like the fans who presumed 21 yr old Nino, could not get his development back on track.

It's cool, you haven't watched him, OR are just 'presuming' he is going to turn into a different PERSON and have a heart transplant and show consistency with all areas of his game.

That's a lot to hope for, and frankly is years away from happening, if ever. SNow wanted to acquire someone that he didn't want to worry about that with, and in addition not worry about pissing and moaning from a kid and or his agent every time he felt slighted. As an employer, I understand that. I get why you might not.

For the record, i was NOT one of those fans that said he wouldn't make the team or even produce goals in the NHL. I believe me exact words (before and after he was traded) was that if given top 6 minutes consistently and PP time he would score 20 goals in the NHL falling out of bed, even as a rookie. Unfortunately the number of frustrating nights where he is a zero, or worse will far outnumber of nights that he gets his stick on the puck at the top of the crease and slide it in.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
The Isles go after character. Bailey. Okposo {it's starting to show with the chain smoker}. Clutterbuck. Tavares. The list goes on.

Nino showed he does not have the character. Will he grow as a person? Hopefully. But he's gone, and I am thrilled we got Clutterbuck for him.

Cal will be BIG when we're in the playoffs. I think he's still getting his game together.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It's cool, you haven't watched him, OR are just 'presuming' he is going to turn into a different PERSON and have a heart transplant and show consistency with all areas of his game.

That's a lot to hope for, and frankly is years away from happening, if ever. SNow wanted to acquire someone that he didn't want to worry about that with, and in addition not worry about pissing and moaning from a kid and or his agent every time he felt slighted. As an employer, I understand that. I get why you might not.

For the record, i was NOT one of those fans that said he wouldn't make the team or even produce goals in the NHL. I believe me exact words (before and after he was traded) was that if given top 6 minutes consistently and PP time he would score 20 goals in the NHL falling out of bed, even as a rookie. Unfortunately the number of frustrating nights where he is a zero, or worse will far outnumber of nights that he gets his stick on the puck at the top of the crease and slide it in.

I am presuming Nino really did prefer, the $2.7m he had a chance to earn in the NHL vs. the $67,000 he stood to earn in the AHL.:sarcasm:

I am presuming that when he told the press at the 2013 WC, that he was determined to come to NYI camp and winning a job, that he meant it.

Snow gets zero props, for playing a major role in screwing up a 5th overall pick's development, then selling low.

And imo it should not even be about Nino, but the wasting of a 5th overall pick in a strong draft. I find the little leak about Snow not being sold on Nino when he drafted him, almost as frustrating as the trade.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if Snow traded Niederreiter to Minnesota so they won't have the cap space to go after Vanek? He said that the Vanek trade had been in the making for months...

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I wonder if Snow traded Niederreiter to Minnesota so they won't have the cap space to go after Vanek? He said that the Vanek trade had been in the making for months...

We traded for an RFA Clutterbuck and signed him to a deal at 2.75per. Nino has done nothing to earn that.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Heatley's $7.5m cap hit, comes off the books this summer.
And Nino is a rfa. I expect his cap hit will come down considerably for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad