Nino Niederreiter

Staalguy

May 15, 2010
Canada
one more year would be good but has the body size, skill, and determination to compete at the NHL right now, Ripped up the WHL when he got back and continued that in the playoffs........... If he went back he could score 85-95 points

Thinks this years Brayden Shenn......... great skill level(ready for NHL) but 1 more year would develop him a lot

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I may be in the minority, but I do not think Nino has much upside at the NHL level as some people think...and i think it will be tough for him to make a team out of camp

With that being said, he seems to have NHL size and is a pretty rounded player...if he bulks up a bit he should at least have a chance at camp...but another year in Portland would probably be a safe bet imo

R S

Sep 18, 2006
If I was the GM of whatever team drafts him (PLEASE GOD LET IT BE ANAHEIM) I'd put him in the AHL.

you mean after another 2 years of junior? He's not even AHL eligible.

I bet he spends one more year in junior then plays a fourth line role as a 19 year old.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
you mean after another 2 years of junior? He's not even AHL eligible.

I bet he spends one more year in junior then plays a fourth line role as a 19 year old.

This is the one reason i think he has a chance to make it, just b/c he can hit and check, therefore he isn't a guy that has to make the top 6 to be effective...you can put him on the 4th line and he can still go out and make a contribution

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
I may be in the minority, but I do not think Nino has much upside at the NHL level as some people think...and i think it will be tough for him to make a team out of camp

With that being said, he seems to have NHL size and is a pretty rounded player...if he bulks up a bit he should at least have a chance at camp...but another year in Portland would probably be a safe bet imo

Couldn't be more with you. Many people formed opinions on him based on his WJC and the top prospect games. Personally, I still haven't consistently seen that kind of play from him. I felt he had a good season and playoffs, but certainly not to the extent that really justifies him as the next best forward after Hall/Seguin (Or even Connolly and Taresenko).

I just have this familiar feeling with Niederreiter that I did when Carolina drafted Ladd. Both supposed to be this young promising power forward with lots of offensive upside. I really hope I'm wrong, but he hasn't impressed me all that much in his WHL play. Personally, I'd consider drafting Skinner and Granlund before him, even with their size and skating deficiencies. But, I suppose we'll see come draft day.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Couldn't be more with you. Many people formed opinions on him based on his WJC and the top prospect games. Personally, I still haven't consistently seen that kind of play from him. I felt he had a good season and playoffs, but certainly not to the extent that really justifies him as the next best forward after Hall/Seguin (Or even Connolly and Taresenko).

I just have this familiar feeling with Niederreiter that I did when Carolina drafted Ladd. Both supposed to be this young promising power forward with lots of offensive upside. I really hope I'm wrong, but he hasn't impressed me all that much in his WHL play. Personally, I'd consider drafting Skinner and Granlund before him, even with their size and skating deficiencies. But, I suppose we'll see come draft day.

I guess the only consolation is if you draft a guy like Ladd and he doesn't end up the scoring PF you think he projects to be, he can play a shutdown role and be a very serviceable NHLer..you take Granlund and he doesn't translate well you might have a guy who never cracks the top 6

but all in all, I agree I just have a bad feeling if he is taken in the top 10 (or even top 5) that he will be one of the biggest busts in a while...I'll gladly accept defeat If I am wrong tho...but everyone says he was lighting it up in the WHL, when it kinda looked like his numbers almost were declining after the WJC...played pretty well in the playoffs but his numbers are definitely not so impressive that I'm blown away

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
He strikes me as the sort that could contribute on an NHL team out of the draft, but as a bottom six player. And at his age, if I drafted him, I would want him focusing on developing his offensive game, rather than pigeonholing him into a defensive focus. That is to say, he probably could play in the NHL, but it'd be better if he stayed in juniors.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal

Sure, you're in the minority, but I'm too! I'm pretty sure he is NHL material, but i don't see him becoming a 1st line player.

The Ladd comparison, that has just been posted is good IMO. In fact, I'm afraid it is... but I hope I'm wrong. NHL always need elite talent(even if it's not in my team :cry:).

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
As noted I also think he already could play on a 4th line. I saw him in 4 games with the Swiss team (2 preparation games and 2 WC-games where he played) and he had that role there and played it good. He knows how to check and is also enough strong. It's probably up to the GM to decide what the best way is for him. As noted he'd be able to play in the AHL in two years, so he'd have to play two more years in juniors.

@Bileur
As far as I know this rules also counts for imports if the play in the Juniors before get drafted. Luca Sbisa also couldn't play AHL this season.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
I think he could play in the NHL right now. But I'd say another year of the WHL wouldn't hurt him

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Europeans who have played in the CHL can´t play in the AHL until they are 20 just like North Americans from the CHL. Well, they can play in the AHL play-offs after their CHL team´s season is finished.

Only matters if they were drafted after playing in the CHL. If they're drafted and THEN go to the CHL, they can leave whenever they want to go to the AHL

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
I find it funny that people consider Ladd to be a bad player..:help:

He's 24 and a 20-20 guy already. I think Nino is a little bigger but also probably not a quick as Ladd when drafted. Nino also has a higher upside in terms of goal scoring I would say. If a team gets him around 10-15 as expected I think a Ladd type player would be all they are hoping for. That is not at all a bad thing.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal

He's 24 and a 20-20 guy already. I think Nino is a little bigger but also probably not a quick as Ladd when drafted. Nino also has a higher upside in terms of goal scoring I would say. If a team gets him around 10-15 as expected I think a Ladd type player would be all they are hoping for. That is not at all a bad thing.

Not saying Ladd is a bad player, but definitely not worth a 4th pick overall...

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN

Ladd is a fine player, but was not worth his draft position. Same with Niederreiter. If he's drafted in the top 10 to simply be a bottom six player, that's a waste of a pick, especially when their are more dynamic offensive players like Taresenko, Granlund and Skinner available. I don't really think Niederreiter belongs in the top ten, and should be considered the safe pick for a playoff team, who can live with him being a third liner if all doesn't pan out as planned.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

Agreed, i just think his value should fall somewhere into the 12-15 range and not anywhere near the top 5...i would LOVE to have a Ladd type player on the Oilers, just a little disappointing with a 4th overall pick...though i think his offense could develop quite nicely later on

I guess 2004 was also not a great draft year after the top 2...taking Ladd was prob fair, other than maybe Zajac and i think Wolski that draft? (04 or 05 i forget) he has been better than most...but with a deep draft i think Ladd around 15 seems fair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad