Value of: Nino Niederreiter

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Get OS dreams of Barzal out of your head. After losing Tavares I'm fairly confident we match anything. Probably even anything that would be considered ridiculous.

As far as Nino goes though, I was always a fan and wish we actually gave him another shot after some actual development. Might be too expensive at this point but I'd definitely look into it. Unfortunately a good chunk of our fanbase still apparently hate him for some reason so I doubt we'd be a match.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Nino is the sort of player the Canucks could probably use as a complementary piece in their Top-6. But i'm not sure what they'd have to offer, and they'd have to figure something out to absorb the cap hit, when they really don't have much of any room to spare. Getting a piece on defence is probably the bigger priority though anyway. Which Carolina seems like a potentially good fit for...so maybe there's something that could get worked out by piling Nino into a deal with someone like Bean/Fleury.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Nino is the sort of player the Canucks could probably use as a complementary piece in their Top-6. But i'm not sure what they'd have to offer, and they'd have to figure something out to absorb the cap hit, when they really don't have much of any room to spare. Getting a piece on defence is probably the bigger priority though anyway. Which Carolina seems like a potentially good fit for...so maybe there's something that could get worked out by piling Nino into a deal with someone like Bean/Fleury.
Nino and Bean for Demko?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Nino would probably look really good under Trotz. Not sure what he could fetch from NYI.

Clutterbuck . Duh

Not Duh towards you friend . Just figured the return would be easy to come up with ... Both have 2 years left on their deals. Nino makes a lot more $$$$ though.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Nino and Bean for Demko?

Doesn't really work, because of the salary cap situations. There would have to be cap equal to or more than Demko going back probably. Maybe there'd be a workaround with Cap vs Actual Money, or another team involved to eat some cap somehow...but that doesn't seem likely either.

As a deal, it's really attractive, assuming they can get Markstrom re-signed. But that's far from a guarantee either.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Would love Niederreiter on the Avs.

Depending on the route the Avs take for free agency i'd be open to Burakovsky or Grubuaer for Nino +.

Reactions: Brett44

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I expect that the offseason will contain few deals where teams are happy to trade pure cap space and futures for players who represent poor performance-to-cap-hit ratios.

The flat-cap era is here, and the state of gate receipts going forward is a huge unknown. Everyone is looking to be more efficient in that respect. Nino Neiderreiter is a good player but he's receiving full value and then some in compensation on his present deal. Could the Hurricanes move him? Sure. Could they free up a lot of cap space in the deal? I doubt it, and that seems to be the OP's goal here.

He has value, but I'd expect a team to want the cap hits to even out, either with player(s) going back or retention on Nino's deal. Seemingly, that would obviate the main objective of the OP.

I expect a lot of teams are going to find they are stuck with their current players for a while, if they are on lucrative deals.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Nino is a frustrating player for sure. He has size, skill, wicked shot, plays physical and does a lot of the little things right it’s just that his decision making is like a second too slow or something.

I always say an angry Nino is a good Nino. When he’s playing with emotion and is engaged you will get good hockey out of him and when he’s hot he can be a PPG player. It’s just a matter of putting him in the right situation and matching up with the right line mates to make that happen. I think the problem is that no one has cracked the code as to what right situation/line combo is on a consistent basis to get those results.

As a Canes fan I would love nothing more than for Nino to be our top line LW and at times he he worked great with Aho and TT but just not consistently enough. But the weird thing is, other than Svech there hasn’t really been anyone else who has consistently worked there either which is very odd because you would think you could put a pumpkin with those two and get decent results.

Anyway, a team looking to bolster their top 6 who has cap space could hit a homerun with Nino and the return would be minimal. Canes have over extended themselves on defence (again) and need cap flexibility to work that out and find the right fit for our top 6.

So either a mid round pick would do OR ideas for players like Hornqvist (RH shot hard nosed gritty vet with some scoring touch at similar money) could work as well.

Out of the names thrown around in this thread, Palmieri and Burakovsky (Not an RH shout though) have been the most interesting for sure

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Maaaybe Hornqvist. That could actually help both teams. But that said, Hornqvist has positive value, probably slightly higher than Nino who might have a neutral value. Carolina probably adds something but discussion can be here around these two. Another offer could be McCann + Bjugstad for Nino.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Maaaybe Hornqvist. That could actually help both teams. But that said, Hornqvist has positive value, probably slightly higher than Nino who might have a neutral value. Carolina probably adds something but discussion can be here around these two. Another offer could be McCann + Bjugstad for Nino.

Id rather looking at making Horn work. We don’t need MORE forwards. We need forwards that fill the holes and fit our system. 1 for 1 swap makes more sense.
I agree with your assessment on Horn v Nino though. Patric does have an extra year of term at slightly more money and moving that from 3 years to 2 years might mitigate a bit of risk and give some flexibility for the spend. I think it’s close though as you mention. A small add from Carolina would be fine.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Carolina deserved more from the series vs Boston (every game was close), but at the same time Carolina was clearly missing some skill in their depth players up front. Without the top guys carrying the load, their depth failed to fill-in on the score-sheet.

Nino's contract has 2 years left at 5.25 million per year. He is actually a fairly effective player on the ice but he cannot seem to turn that into production, which is something that Carolina desperately needs in their bottom 6. Nino's contract is not bad per-se but the money being given to him can be better spent on someone like Cirelli, Barzal, Reinhart, Burakovsky, or Mikheyev. (Pending fwd RFA's that could be trade bait or offer-sheet bait).

What could Carolina get for Nino realistically? Would they have to add any value onto him to get rid of his contract?

Barzal for bottom 6? What planet do you reside on?

Reactions: w e l o s t b o y s

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Barzal for bottom 6? What planet do you reside on?

i think you are misreading what the poster was saying. The poster is saying we need producers in the bottom 6. Since he isnt giving us that we could spending the money more wisely (insert bigger names here) that would add a lot of value to the team. They arent saying those names are bottom 6 players. Just that the bigger name player would provide more value for 5+ million cap hit (yes i know Barzal will be much higher than 5 mil).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Nino is a frustrating player for sure. He has size, skill, wicked shot, plays physical and does a lot of the little things right it’s just that his decision making is like a second too slow or something.

I always say an angry Nino is a good Nino. When he’s playing with emotion and is engaged you will get good hockey out of him and when he’s hot he can be a PPG player. It’s just a matter of putting him in the right situation and matching up with the right line mates to make that happen. I think the problem is that no one has cracked the code as to what right situation/line combo is on a consistent basis to get those results.

As a Canes fan I would love nothing more than for Nino to be our top line LW and at times he he worked great with Aho and TT but just not consistently enough. But the weird thing is, other than Svech there hasn’t really been anyone else who has consistently worked there either which is very odd because you would think you could put a pumpkin with those two and get decent results.

Anyway, a team looking to bolster their top 6 who has cap space could hit a homerun with Nino and the return would be minimal. Canes have over extended themselves on defence (again) and need cap flexibility to work that out and find the right fit for our top 6.

So either a mid round pick would do OR ideas for players like Hornqvist (RH shot hard nosed gritty vet with some scoring touch at similar money) could work as well.

Out of the names thrown around in this thread, Palmieri and Burakovsky (Not an RH shout though) have been the most interesting for sure
Ferland worked well with them as well when healthy. I think the big need on that line is simply a disruptor with skill. When Nino is on he brings that, but when he's not he's overpaid by about 2m per to be a bottom 6 kinda but not overly physical guy that chips in about 15 goals a season and is defensively responsible. At 3 million that's a good player, but at 5 that's dead cap space. Hornqvist wouldn't be a bad target but he's older on a longer contract for about the same production historically.

If anything we need to be looking to add another physical forward with some talent and ideally would be moving either Gardner or Skjei (+ obviously) from the blueline to do it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
MN wants in on this bottom six forward, Barzal.

Nino, at this point, is a good grinder. 5+M is a lot to pay for a grinder.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Carolina deserved more from the series vs Boston (every game was close), but at the same time Carolina was clearly missing some skill in their depth players up front. Without the top guys carrying the load, their depth failed to fill-in on the score-sheet.

Nino's contract has 2 years left at 5.25 million per year. He is actually a fairly effective player on the ice but he cannot seem to turn that into production, which is something that Carolina desperately needs in their bottom 6. Nino's contract is not bad per-se but the money being given to him can be better spent on someone like Cirelli, Barzal, Reinhart, Burakovsky, or Mikheyev. (Pending fwd RFA's that could be trade bait or offer-sheet bait).

What could Carolina get for Nino realistically? Would they have to add any value onto him to get rid of his contract?
Nino is what you have seen from this past season. He had 2 excellent runs. The final year of his prior contract where he put up like 57 points. Expectation was that he made it and that 55 plus points would be his new benchmark. The second run was the 30 he put with when he arrived in Carolina last season thus all the threads about how great a move it was.

but he has now settled back into a 0.5 ppg guy that he’s been for pretty much his entire career save for those 2 stretches of 120 games.

I don’t think he will draw interest at that cap hit.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
No real need for Byron, but I’d do that deal for picks in a heartbeat.

I was thinking value compared to Andrew Shaw. Nino is the better player but cost more. So I was feeling he was worth a little more as well. Habs got a 2nd and a 3rd for him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad