Value of: Nino Niederreiter

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Really? You'd throw in Fleury to get rid of Nino? I think Fleury will be a very positive asset in what you get vs what he costs for the next few years.

I don't see it as throwing in Fleury to get rid of Nino. I think Fleury's value is right around the #20-30 Overall pick. Right now Vancouver's pick is #20 but it could go to #27-31. The Canes will be unlikely to be able to keep Fleury through the expansion draft, especially if he plays well again next year.

Getting rid of Nino's cap hit on the deal is just gravy. But I would guess Nino has negative value which could be wrong given some of the offers here.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Nino is a frustrating player for sure. He has size, skill, wicked shot, plays physical and does a lot of the little things right it’s just that his decision making is like a second too slow or something.

I always say an angry Nino is a good Nino. When he’s playing with emotion and is engaged you will get good hockey out of him and when he’s hot he can be a PPG player. It’s just a matter of putting him in the right situation and matching up with the right line mates to make that happen. I think the problem is that no one has cracked the code as to what right situation/line combo is on a consistent basis to get those results.

As a Canes fan I would love nothing more than for Nino to be our top line LW and at times he he worked great with Aho and TT but just not consistently enough. But the weird thing is, other than Svech there hasn’t really been anyone else who has consistently worked there either which is very odd because you would think you could put a pumpkin with those two and get decent results.

Anyway, a team looking to bolster their top 6 who has cap space could hit a homerun with Nino and the return would be minimal. Canes have over extended themselves on defence (again) and need cap flexibility to work that out and find the right fit for our top 6.

So either a mid round pick would do OR ideas for players like Hornqvist (RH shot hard nosed gritty vet with some scoring touch at similar money) could work as well.

Out of the names thrown around in this thread, Palmieri and Burakovsky (Not an RH shout though) have been the most interesting for sure

I mean, the Pens are looking to get younger, and unfortunately Horny doesn't seem to be a good fit anymore with Crosby or Malkin. He's got a 5.3m cap hit. Do we just swap?

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I expect that the offseason will contain few deals where teams are happy to trade pure cap space and futures for players who represent poor performance-to-cap-hit ratios.

The flat-cap era is here, and the state of gate receipts going forward is a huge unknown. Everyone is looking to be more efficient in that respect. Nino Neiderreiter is a good player but he's receiving full value and then some in compensation on his present deal. Could the Hurricanes move him? Sure. Could they free up a lot of cap space in the deal? I doubt it, and that seems to be the OP's goal here.

He has value, but I'd expect a team to want the cap hits to even out, either with player(s) going back or retention on Nino's deal. Seemingly, that would obviate the main objective of the OP.

I expect a lot of teams are going to find they are stuck with their current players for a while, if they are on lucrative deals.
i second that feeling. i really think dubas did very well, push the button early with the kapanen trade. once fa contracts are signed, there will be less and less cap space available and the cost to move undesired contracts will only raise from there.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I mean, the Pens are looking to get younger, and unfortunately Horny doesn't seem to be a good fit anymore with Crosby or Malkin. He's got a 5.3m cap hit. Do we just swap?

Yeah, I’d do a swap. It’s risky for the Canes if Horny’s play really drops off bc then you have $5.3 on the books for 3 years but I think we could move out salary from our D to make it work.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad