Speculation: Nino Niederreiter - Requests Trade

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
How is he more ready than Machacek, or even Scheifele? Did you even see the numbers Nino put up last year? In 55 games, he put up a single point. Mark matched that in his 7 game stint. Being a star in the AHL doesn't mean a player is NHL ready.

Scheifele and Nino are both about equally NHL ready. Scheifele is doing well in OHL and Nino is doing well in AHL. Scheifele had a strong WJC.

I am curious now what you would give up to receive him and is fair to both parties. I don't care if Garth Snow would accept the deal I am more curious what would be fair to give up for a player who currently has 1 year eligibility used, was 5th overall in 2010 and has just stated he wants to be dealt. Winnipeg could EASILY find a place for him in the future. He has the potential to develop into a 1st line RW.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
How is he more ready than Machacek, or even Scheifele? Did you even see the numbers Nino put up last year? In 55 games, he put up a single point. Mark matched that in his 7 game stint. Being a star in the AHL doesn't mean a player is NHL ready.

Nino's stats from last year are irrelevant. He got no minutes and he played with players who had no ability to generate offence as a line. Marty Reasoner was absolutely awful last year.

He's having a really good year in pro hockey, was dominating early on when a lot of NHLers were in the A. He's older and more experienced than Schiefele and in watching him play a lot, I believe he would be a more productive NHL player at this moment than Schiefele. He's more ready than Machacek because he has a lot more talent. He's easily just a better hockey player.

Bottom line, he's still a valuable core-type prospect to the Islanders, like Schiefele and Burmistrov are to the Jets.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
How can anyone call Neiderreiter a bust? He had a bad year since he was playing 5 mins a night with terrible players. Now he is still younger than Burmi and playing fantastic in AHL.

The asking price for Nino from WPG would start with Burmistrov or Scheifele or Trouba.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
Just throwing darts here but what about something like:

Little + Postma/Redmond + CHI 2nd
for
Nino + Donovan/de Haan + NYI 2nd

I could be OK with a trade like that, obviously some other team that really believes in Nino could offer a young top prospect at NY and they would be more inclined to take that but I think at the very least this is a fair trade.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just throwing darts here but what about something like:

Little + Postma/Redmond + CHI 2nd
for
Nino + Donovan/de Haan + NYI 2nd

I could be OK with a trade like that, obviously some other team that really believes in Nino could offer a young top prospect at NY and they would be more inclined to take that but I think at the very least this is a fair trade.

Nino is miles higher value than Little, Donovan/de Haan are both better prospects than Postma/Redmond and NYI 2nd will be higher than CHI 2nd. Not even close from a NYI perspective.

Their counter would be something like

Scheifele + Postma + WPG 2nd
for
Grabner + Katic + NYI 2nd

Any chance we take that?

I think some of you are underestimating Nino Neiderreiter. There is a reason he was drafted before Burmistrov, he is a great young player with huge upside. Remember he is 11 months YOUNGER than Burmistrov as well. This should be his rookie pro season, and he is tearing up the AHL. He is easily worth a 1st (top 10 protected) + a solid prospect on his own.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
Looking at it again not sure what I was totally thinking there... your correct its not even close.

I agree that a lot of people are undervaluing Nino the best comparable I can think of is the Brayden Scheen deal and I think if Snow is looking to move him it will be for a similar return. Let me try this again see if I can't do a little better.

Evander Kane for Nino + Nielsen + 2nd/ D prospect

Interesting move, I actually think I would be OK with that deal but it would never happen.

Last edited:

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The offer involving Kane does no make sense to Winnipeg.

The truth is, if Nino Niederreiter indeed has asked for a trade and Garth Snow has to explore trade offer he will not recoup his investment. Being a good AHL player is 100% different than being a good NHL player. If Niederreiter goes public or his agent does, it will leave the Islanders with no choice but to move him as the locker room will not want Nino playing with them.

The return for Nino Niederreiter will be something along the lines of a lower 1st round selection or a collection of lower end prospects similar to that of Winnipeg dealing a packing including a Telegin, Sutter or Lowry. No team is going to give up an elite prospect for someone who has already demanded to be dealt and has wasted 1 year of eligibility. The biggest issue is that his NHL performance has been damaging and that is squarely on the Islanders management for having him play 55 games on a 4th line racking up few minutes. Who in their right mind would do that to a top line potential winger?

This is my take on what type of offer based on his NHL experience and his demand to be dealt:

Telegin or Sutter or Lowry/Postma and a lower tier prospect or a 4th round selection for Nino Niederreiter. This is ALL assuming him or his agent goes public with a trade.

SHOULD HE DENY REQUESTING A TRADE... There is 0% chance of any deal being made.

Remember Ottawa gave up a player taken 17th overall and a 2nd round selection for Kyle Turris who was taken 3rd overall. Turris was poorly handled by Phoenix and wasted 2 years development HONESTLY very similar to how our franchise has rushed Burmistrov to the NHL.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
I think we are way closer to a Brayden Scheen situation then a Kyle Turris situation. Turris and least had some leverage in his hold out, Nino has zero leverage.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The offer involving Kane does no make sense to Winnipeg.

The truth is, if Nino Niederreiter indeed has asked for a trade and Garth Snow has to explore trade offer he will not recoup his investment. Being a good AHL player is 100% different than being a good NHL player. If Niederreiter goes public or his agent does, it will leave the Islanders with no choice but to move him as the locker room will not want Nino playing with them.

The return for Nino Niederreiter will be something along the lines of a lower 1st round selection or a collection of lower end prospects similar to that of Winnipeg dealing a packing including a Telegin, Sutter or Lowry. No team is going to give up an elite prospect for someone who has already demanded to be dealt and has wasted 1 year of eligibility. The biggest issue is that his NHL performance has been damaging and that is squarely on the Islanders management for having him play 55 games on a 4th line racking up few minutes. Who in their right mind would do that to a top line potential winger?

This is my take on what type of offer based on his NHL experience and his demand to be dealt:

Telegin or Sutter or Lowry/Postma and a lower tier prospect or a 4th round selection for Nino Niederreiter. This is ALL assuming him or his agent goes public with a trade.

SHOULD HE DENY REQUESTING A TRADE... There is 0% chance of any deal being made.

Remember Ottawa gave up a player taken 17th overall and a 2nd round selection for Kyle Turris who was taken 3rd overall. Turris was poorly handled by Phoenix and wasted 2 years development HONESTLY very similar to how our franchise has rushed Burmistrov to the NHL.

If the Islanders don't want to trade him they won't, no matter how much he wants to call the shots.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Is the KHL honoring NHL contracts? I remember for a while they weren't. Also when Niederreiters entry level contract is up and he's a restricted free agent he could easily go to the KHL and play there and the Islanders have no recourse.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Is the KHL honoring NHL contracts? I remember for a while they weren't. Also when Niederreiters entry level contract is up and he's a restricted free agent he could easily go to the KHL and play there and the Islanders have no recourse.

KHL and NHL have had an agreement for years. Even Visnovsky has been made to return to the NHL, no options for him while under contract.

He has this year and next on his ELC. He will get his chance in a real role on Long Island long before that contract runs out.

He is a top end prospect, right up there with Scheifele and Trouba. Trade will not happen, IMO.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
KHL and NHL have had an agreement for years. Even Visnovsky has been made to return to the NHL, no options for him while under contract.

He has this year and next on his ELC. He will get his chance in a real role on Long Island long before that contract runs out.

He is a top end prospect, right up there with Scheifele and Trouba. Trade will not happen, IMO.

I don't think it will but if he continues to insist on being traded, if I was the Jets GM I would totally take a shot at him. I do have a HUGE interest in players who were former top 10 draft picks who are available. When people were saying which players should the Jets go after I listed a bunch of 1st rounders who were still relatively young and unrestricted free agents. Semin was one, and Montoya who we signed was another. I am excited to see what Montoya has in the tank. You don't get drafted so high in the draft by accident.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

With that line of thinking, the Isle players would have balked at Nabokov joining them.

The team wouldn't be waiting on Vis' son's surgery, looking to have Vis join their overworked top 3 of Hamonic/Streit/MacDonald.

Nino's agent has already said, in his latest comments that he expects tough contract talks with Snow in 2 yrs. Nino's telling fans that it's all his agent's doing (bs excuse).

Bottom line is, Snow shows no intention of moving Nino, while Nino and his rep have no way to force Snow's hand.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Nino is miles higher value than Little, Donovan/de Haan are both better prospects than Postma/Redmond and NYI 2nd will be higher than CHI 2nd. Not even close from a NYI perspective.

Their counter would be something like

Scheifele + Postma + WPG 2nd
for
Grabner + Katic + NYI 2nd

Any chance we take that?

No.
Grabner has in the first 4 games, looked like the dangerous Grabner of his 34 goal season. I'm hoping he can keep it up. Isles want a playoff push this season and won't trade the cheap Grabner for prospects/picks.

Katic has no real value. He's been passed on the prospect depth chart and signed in Europe. The isles still own his rights, but I'll be surprised if he every plays for them.

Isles don't have a 2nd rounder. They sent it to Anaheim for Vis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad