Speculation: Nino Niederreiter - Requests Trade

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/sto...r-seeks-traded-new-york-islanders-source-says

There's the link and its been mentioned on TSN a few times tonight during commercial breaks during the Jets game. I am of this opinion:
If he is indeed requesting a trade, and can be available, Winnipeg needs to jump to the opportunity immediately and acquire this talent players while his stock is at its lowest. He may be available for a draft selection such as 2nd or 3rd or 4th rounder (I don't know the going rate on busts so far who request a trade but is leading scorer in AHL affiliate). This player obviously has immense talent and would fit in beautifully in Winnipeg with a core built around players his age (Scheiffle/Burmistrov/Kane/Bogosian). He has the potential to become a top 6 winger which Winnipeg could always use and would be worth taking a chance on. I just can't help but think of players like Chara and Bertuzzi who left Long Island only to develop into superstars.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't imagine we'd be willing to give up the pieces needed. I wouldn't give up our core guys to get him, which is what I think it would take. I'd love to have him, but I don't see it happening.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/sto...r-seeks-traded-new-york-islanders-source-says

There's the link and its been mentioned on TSN a few times tonight during commercial breaks during the Jets game. I am of this opinion:
If he is indeed requesting a trade, and can be available, Winnipeg needs to jump to the opportunity immediately and acquire this talent players while his stock is at its lowest. He may be available for a draft selection such as 2nd or 3rd or 4th rounder (I don't know the going rate on busts so far who request a trade but is leading scorer in AHL affiliate). This player obviously has immense talent and would fit in beautifully in Winnipeg with a core built around players his age (Scheiffle/Burmistrov/Kane/Bogosian). He has the potential to become a top 6 winger which Winnipeg could always use and would be worth taking a chance on. I just can't help but think of players like Chara and Bertuzzi who left Long Island only to develop into superstars.

I am sure the Islanders would not settle for a 2nd round pick. He probably wants a trade because he expects to be in the NHL. Would he make our team?

noize

Mar 22, 2012
I am sure the Islanders would not settle for a 2nd round pick. He probably wants a trade because he expects to be in the NHL. Would he make our team?

Although I do believe that he does have the potential to eventually blossom into a great player, I don't think he'd make our team in it's current state, especially in his natural position at RW. We've already got Wheeler, Little and Thorburn set in stone, Scheifele near NHL ready, and Machacek just a phone call away. With only posting 1 point and a -29 in 55 games last year, there's no reason Noel would place Nino higher than any of those guys on his depth chart.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Garth Snow has stated that there is little chance of Niederreiter being traded, as his trade request was quite a surprise to him. If he does get traded, it will be for huge money. As it is, the Isle's owner is a cheap mother****er who burned a year of his ELC on the 4th line, just to make it to the cap floor. This will be year 2 of his ELC burned. If Nido is as unhappy as the report says, then I can expect a Kyle Turris situation to happen.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If you want to get an idea of what various fan bases think he is worth there are 13 pages worth of proposals with the full range of outrage and indignation on the main boards. I'd like to see the Jets pick him up, but only on the cheap. I certainly wouldn't want to lose a core piece for him.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
sounds like he wants a trade as he disagrees with management re his NHL readiness. do we need a player with attitude?

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
He's the leading scorer of their AHL team and didn't even get invited to training camp. I'd be pissed too.

this.

I don't think he's a bad character in this situation. It's kind a like if Machacek would demand a trade right now. I'd understand it and wouldn't be pissed at all.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
this.

I don't think he's a bad character in this situation. It's kind a like if Machacek would demand a trade right now. I'd understand it and wouldn't be pissed at all.

I wouldn't be mad because Machacek is a 4th line grinder and is replaceable. Besides, he got invited to TC and didn't impress. No one picked him up on waivers, so...

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Yeah well... Machacek and Niederreiter maybe don't make the best comparing partners but I still think that being pissed with the way the Islanders handled Nino (from Ninos POV) is legit.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yeah well... Machacek and Niederreiter maybe don't make the best comparing partners but I still think that being pissed with the way the Islanders handled Nino (from Ninos POV) is legit.

I agree with that, which is why I think there will be a Kyle Turris style showdown when Niederreiter's ELC is up.

Duir

I doubt the Jets take a hard look because the NYI won't give him up. I can only help but think they are mismanaging his skills and potential; doing what he is doing in the AHL, he has a right no at least be at the camp, by snubbing him sends a potentially confusing message.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
NYI drafted him very high two years ago, if they do trade him, which I doubt, the asking price will be another young top pick, like Burmistrov.

He is considered a core youth player by management. They rushed him into the NHL last year and are correcting that mistake this year. He's still a valuable asset on the trade market.

I love Nino, but I wouldn't give up Burmi for him, and the Isles would take nothing less for him, so I don't think there's a fit there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
NYI drafted him very high two years ago, if they do trade him, which I doubt, the asking price will be another young top pick, like Burmistrov.

He is considered a core youth player by management. They rushed him into the NHL last year and are correcting that mistake this year. He's still a valuable asset on the trade market.

I love Nino, but I wouldn't give up Burmi for him, and the Isles would take nothing less for him, so I don't think there's a fit there.

Disagree. The only reason he was up last year is because his bonuses put them over the cap floor. This is an organization that has jerked him around and really doesn't have a clue what its doing. I don't blame him one bit for asking out

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Disagree. The only reason he was up last year is because his bonuses put them over the cap floor. This is an organization that has jerked him around and really doesn't have a clue what its doing. I don't blame him one bit for asking out

What are you disagreeing with? I didn't state the reason why they kept him up, which is exactly what you said it is. By 'rushed' I just meant played him in the NHL before he should have been there.

Nino can ask out all he wants, he has no leverage. If the Isles treat him properly he will forgive and forget in time. I don't see him getting traded, unless someone is willing to give up a top level prospect.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Although I do believe that he does have the potential to eventually blossom into a great player, I don't think he'd make our team in it's current state, especially in his natural position at RW. We've already got Wheeler, Little and Thorburn set in stone, Scheifele near NHL ready, and Machacek just a phone call away. With only posting 1 point and a -29 in 55 games last year, there's no reason Noel would place Nino higher than any of those guys on his depth chart.

Little has played one game as a winger and now that's set in stone?
If you send Scheifele back to Barrie then Niño takes over his spot. He's more NHL ready than Scheifele is. I just wouldn't want to pay the asking price.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Agree. If traded, I would guess it would be something along the lines of the Turris trade last season. Top prospect for top prospect.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

My thoughts as well. The Islanders are really in no pressure to deal him. Certainly in no pressure to take any offer they don't feel is good for them.

I wouldn't want to trade any of our young guys for him at the moment (Burmistrov, Scheifele, Trouba, and Lowry). I know it's early to put Lowry in that mix, but it's also due to other things than just scoring (org Fit, size, etc).

If a combination of picks, non core roster players, and prospects like Postma, Redmond, Sutter, Kos, got it done I would say great. Can't see that happening, and certainly can't see that being the best deal out there from the other 28 teams.

noize

Mar 22, 2012
Little has played one game as a winger and now that's set in stone?
If you send Scheifele back to Barrie then Niño takes over his spot. He's more NHL ready than Scheifele is. I just wouldn't want to pay the asking price.

How is he more ready than Machacek, or even Scheifele? Did you even see the numbers Nino put up last year? In 55 games, he put up a single point. Mark matched that in his 7 game stint. Being a star in the AHL doesn't mean a player is NHL ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00