Nino Niederreiter : Are his defensive skills underrated?

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Something I noticed a lot of scouts never talked about was Niederreiters defensive ability. Mind you, I never read or heard anyone blast him, or say he's weak in the defensive aspect, but I've never heard anyone praise it much either.

Perhaps it's just me, but is he proving otherwise in the WJC? Last night he looked great defensively especially, and in my opinion, has looked that way all tournament. His defensive awareness looked great, he was making some nice hits, and playing the board pretty well.

Is it just me, or does El Nino have an extremely underrated set of defensive skills that need to be discussed in the future?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
No, they aren't.

He was known as being maybe the most complete player in the draft last year in regards to playing two way, physical hockey. It's part of the reason he was drafted so high.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
His defense has been great in the WJC, which is great because it's hard to see his offense too often on a Swiss team that doesn't generate much offense.

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
Hes got the size, glad to see he isnt some soft euro. I hope his offense will click in the NHL and he doesnt turn into a 3rd line goon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad