Nine year old phenom...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
Shane said:
Sounds like a puckhog. He should pass more.

Apparently you didn't read the article

"By all accounts, he's not a puck hog, likes to dish out assists as much as anyone and sticks up for kids who get picked on."

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
My little kid is a phenom. He isn't born yet, but I can tell from the ultrasounds that he has immense potential, and most of all, puck poise.

The Fenominal Fetus is his nickname right now.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
tom_servo said:
Too bad a name like Hawryluk precludes him from ever being a star.
That sounds awfully much like a hockey name though...

"Hawryluk comes flying down the wing, he dekes, GOOOOAL by Hawryluk!"

FlamesFan22

Jan 1, 2005
Naru said:
How fast is a normal ball in base ball at his age? I've got no idea, but I Know that I can't through that fast, but I've got relly weak arms...

The fastest pitcher when I was 10 playing in a 10-12 league threw 70 mph. He was 12, and as he got older he was invited to Division 1 colleges in the States. But he blew out his arm. 70mph as a 9 year old is amazing.

Transported Upstater

mattihp said:
That sounds awfully much like a hockey name though...

"Hawryluk comes flying down the wing, he dekes, GOOOOAL by Hawryluk!"

That does sound like a hockey name.

Can we change the CHL draft rules to allow 9-year olds to be drafted?

Skroob*

If the kid is smart, he will stick to baseball.

its just a matter of 20M vs 200M contracts.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
steblick said:
So, where do you think he would go in this year's draft? After Kessel? Before Frolik and Toews? ;)

I overheard McGuire saying 13 of the 29 GM's he's talked to would take him 1st if he was in this draft. That's pretty remarkable.

turnbuckle*

Maybe he'll follow in Bo, Deion and Brian's foootsteps and become a two-sport player.

Tom Glavine was drafted by the LA Kings in 1984, 102 picks ahead of Luc Robitaille, but he gave up hockey when it became apparent that he was going to be a pro pitcher. Not a bad choice given his pitching career. Kirk McCaskill, another MLB pitcher (former), was a 4th round pick of Winnipeg in Hawerchuck's draft year.

I once wrote an article on a kid in Cobden, Ontario that was just tearing up his league and tournaments, averaging four to five goals per game with ease. He would stickhandle through everybody seemingly at will, and he was certainly drawing raves. He was 11, and he wasn't very big.

He never got very big, and it would prove to be his main detriment, along with a lack of killer instinct as he entered his teen years. He just didn't want it as badly as other kids, and after bouncing around the OHL for a couple of seasons he ended his junior eligibility playing tier ll hockey. Kid's name is Josh Patterson, and it's not the one that played 5 OHL seasons with Peterborough and Erie, even though I can guarantee you that he was a better player thaqn his namesake at 11.

TomWaits

Feb 27, 2002
Skittles said:
Many this kid reached puberty faster, I got alot better at hockey when I got pubes.

Too bad you were playing in the 35+ men's league when it happened. :D

Avery4Byng*

NobodyBeatsTheWiz said:
Completely unimpressive. Dustin Rose put up better numbers as a 2 year old.
He put up better numbers before birth. Those days were known as BR... "Before Rose".

Transported Upstater

Raging Bull said:
My little kid is a phenom. He isn't born yet, but I can tell from the ultrasounds that he has immense potential, and most of all, puck poise.

The Fenominal Fetus is his nickname right now.

:biglaugh: X 100

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Fastest young pitcher?

FlamesFan22 said:
The fastest pitcher when I was 10 playing in a 10-12 league threw 70 mph. He was 12, and as he got older he was invited to Division 1 colleges in the States. But he blew out his arm. 70mph as a 9 year old is amazing.

When I was 12 I played in the Little League World series and I played against an AMAZING pitcher. His name was Danny Almonte and his fastball was over 70 mph, he was unbeleivable for our age group.
(Almonte was a left-handed pitcher for the Rolando Paulino All-Stars, a Little League team from the Bronx, New York. The team made it to the 2001 Little League World Series, where Almonte's 70 MPH pitches made him nearly unhittable; on 18 August 2001 he pitched a perfect game against Apopka, Florida, striking out the first 16 batters he faced. His team, made up mostly of Latinos from the Bronx, became media darlings and earned the nickname of the Baby Bronx Bombers. After the tournament a Sports Illustrated reporter found documents in the Dominican Republic suggesting that Almonte was born in 1987, not 1989, making him two years too old to compete in Little League. Investigation by Little League and Dominican officials determined that Almonte's father had registered the boy's birth twice, with the second registration shaving two years off his age. Little League erased Almonte and his team from the tournament records, and Dominican officials said they might file charges against the boy's father, Felipe de Jesus Almonte, for falsifying documents).

I also played hockey against this huge defenceman named Devereaux Heshmatpour when he played for the North York Rangers in the Metro-Toronto Hockey League. That guy was incredibly large for his age too :)
But I wouldn't think that anyone in hockey would lie about their age like the Almonte family did, would they?? :propeller

Steve Latin*

I heard Ken Hitchcock called this kid a whiner and a diver, so it's a de facto fact that he'll bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad