Player Discussion Nils Aman

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Both Aman and Johansson were scooped up by the Canucks, after the Av's and Wild drafted these guys and then decided not to sign them.

I wonder if Allvin and the scouting staff have their 'spidey senses' out there for any other players that have slipped through the cracks.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah but the season Aaron Miller was on the team sucked.

Oh for sure, but you'd think you'd at least remember the existence of a 10 year vet playing out his final season.

At least Davison had some scraps, and I think I remember him trucking someone at some point.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
quite a few guys were useless under green that year.

Both Aman and Johansson were scooped up by the Canucks, after the Av's and Wild drafted these guys and then decided not to sign them.

I wonder if Allvin and the scouting staff have their 'spidey senses' out there for any other players that have slipped through the cracks.

or they might just be in love with guys they scouted themselves, like every other gm when they first come up, and some gms for far too long.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't know that it really came out of nowhere for Hansen to be a decent secondary offensive contributor. He kind of tracked as such all the way in.
I thought Hansen was better than Raymond in 08-09 but didn't get the same opportunity. Hansen with better finish would have been a consistent top 6 player for sure.

My memory may be faulty, but didnt Lammiko only look good when Motte was here? He was really nothing special from what I can remember on his own. Seemed like he was pretty close to his ceiling already.

Aman on the other hand, has tons of room to grow with his size and youth. Seems there is some real potential for growth offensively.

This is correct..under Green,.. Lammiko was useless (I remember making the comment that you could saw the blade off of his stick and it wouldnt make the slightest bit of difference)..Boudreau aligned him with Motte, and it was a good line, both guys had a good motor and saw plenty of ice time.

Lammiko is playing in Europe now.

To be fair, Lammikko sucked at a time when everyone else did.

But Lammikko with Motte definitely had some great stretches of play. I liked Lammikko and thought he has a bit more offensive upside in him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
To be fair, Lammikko sucked at a time when everyone else did.

But Lammikko with Motte definitely had some great stretches of play. I liked Lammikko and thought he has a bit more offensive upside in him.
Boudreau did a good job resurrecting Lammiko..but make no mistake , it was Motte that was the straw that stirred the drink on that line.

Two months ago, I would have said that Motte/Lammiko were a better 4th line than Joshua/Aman..but the young guys have kicked it up a notch, and looking down the road..there is more upside there..IMO

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You've got to give some serious props to Jeremy Colliton in Abbotsford--the guys that have played there this year for even a brief period, look like different players.

Aman, Di Guiseppe, Wolanin, Juulson and Brisebois are all contributing right now, and it isn't a fluke. As for the guys still down there--Hoglander, Bains and Karlsson have improved by leaps and bounds.

Really hope the Canucks can hold on to the Abbotsford Canucks coaching staff......we're finally seeing some prospects actually improve on the farm and knocking on the door for NHL employment.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Since his recall, he's looked more confident and assertive and he and Joshua have played really well together. Having a few more noticeable offensive moments, more aggressive defensively. And his faceoffs are improving - 43% since recall after 35% before.

Well this proved prescient. I didn’t see much of last night’s game, but the part I did see was when he notched a couple of points.

His unselfish return pass to Miller on the shorthanded break had me fooled – the ol’ Sedin-brand one extra pass when he probably could have scored – so it was nice to see him be the tap-in guy following Joshua’s nice drive to the net shortly after.

Reactions: MS and HockeyWooot

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
He's having a good first season in NA and looks like there's more there, he's been better in his second stint up. Hope he keeps the progression going!

Reactions: Play

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
You've got to give some serious props to Jeremy Colliton in Abbotsford--the guys that have played there this year for even a brief period, look like different players.

Aman, Di Guiseppe, Wolanin, Juulson and Brisebois are all contributing right now, and it isn't a fluke. As for the guys still down there--Hoglander, Bains and Karlsson have improved by leaps and bounds.

Really hope the Canucks can hold on to the Abbotsford Canucks coaching staff......we're finally seeing some prospects actually improve on the farm and knocking on the door for NHL employment.
Agreed and I wouldn't forget the influence of the Sedins. This organization has made a very serious effort to focus on development and it seems to be paying off. Can't just be coincidence, can it?

Reactions: MarkMM

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA

Agreed. It’s funny how once guys like Green and Cull are gone and they hire someone who isn’t a dinosaur the players start tracking better. Who would’ve thought???

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Aman is profiling as as 15-20 even-strength point centre for quite awhile. He'll probably have one 15 goal season that will trick people into believing there's more to him but it will be a combination of luck and shooting percentage that creates a mirage. Subsequently people will be angry that he can't sustain that production.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Every game now, Aman is setting up glorious scoring chances with some amazing on-ice vision. Set up Brisebois for his first NHL goal; and should have had a second on a wide-open chance by Dries.

Is it a mirage? I know since Horvat was dealt, the Canucks have been in desperation mode for a third line center. Maybe it'll be Raty someday. But right now Aman is doing his best imitation of the guy they need all along.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Are there two prospects in the entire Canucks system who've made bigger strides this season than Aman and Silovs?

Maybe Bains and Karlsson. But expectations for those guys were probably a bit higher going into the season.

Any time you can find a top-level goaltending prospect in sixth round; and sign a player like Aman as a UFA who projects as a solid 3-4 center;, you have to be something right.

Of course it's all about 'development'. For the first time in what seems like decades, young guys are going down to the AHL in Abbotsford, and are coming out as NHL diamonds in the rough. Who knew it could happen?

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
For sure, early days but they seem to be doing something right with the program in Abbie.
People are quick to credit Colliton but I've seen several mentions of the Sedins in recent articles (sorry, no links). This is for general player development, not Aman specifically.

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
People are quick to credit Colliton but I've seen several mentions of the Sedins in recent articles (sorry, no links). This is for general player development, not Aman specifically.
Good point.....from all reports the Sedins are at most of the Abbotsford Canucks practices working with individual players.

The thing you immediately notice about Aman, is that his on-ice vision seems to have dramatically improved. He's now finding the guys coming into the zone late, and have set up at least three for four glorious scoring chances in the last couple of games.

Probably the Sedins' magic rubbing off.

Reactions: tradervik

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Good point.....from all reports the Sedins are at most of the Abbotsford Canucks practices working with individual players.

The thing you immediately notice about Aman, is that his on-ice vision seems to have dramatically improved. He's now finding the guys coming into the zone late, and have set up at least three for four glorious scoring chances in the last couple of games.

Probably the Sedins' magic rubbing off.

That sounds more like a player who is having the game slow down a bit for him as he becomes accustomed to the speed and intensity of a new league.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
He’s young, fast, got some size, is defensively responsible, and starting to show some offensive IQ. Needs to work on his face offs.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't know that it really came out of nowhere for Hansen to be a decent secondary offensive contributor. He kind of tracked as such all the way in.

Yeah. Hansen was more or less an "offensive player" in Juniors who really reinvented his game to become a fantastic 3rd line grinder. He always had some offensive talent though. It showed up at even strength at the NHL level at times and he was one of those amazing "glue guys" who just makes a line work because he hustled, did the spadework, got to the net, and had enough offensive instincts to make some plays or at least keep the play alive around more skilled linemates. He was great in that role and there was always elements of that to him. But he was never a real play driver.

I thought Hansen was better than Raymond in 08-09 but didn't get the same opportunity. Hansen with better finish would have been a consistent top 6 player for sure.

If Hansen had better finish, he would've been a completely different player. :laugh: The problem with Hansen that always held him back was that he just didn't have the natural hands, timing, or touch to be a top quality finisher. He was just a really good, hardworking complementary winger who could survive occasionally in the Top-6 on sheer effort, grit, and that ability to get the puck to better players.

Raymond was a legitimate Top-6 scorer for a bunch of years. It was always complicated by the fact he wasn't the greatest puck distributor and neither was Kesler. But he was absolutely a Top-6 Caliber winger, where Hansen was always just sort of a stand-in for one. Raymond had a different sort of speed and offensive instincts from Hansen. Raymond was a frustrating player because too often, he'd use that speed to skate himself into nowhere, and he lacked the elite shot of a sniper so he garnered the reputation of a "crest sniper". But the point is, he was capable of generate all sorts of good offensive chances with his speed and skill...even if most of them ended up right in the goalie's chest. Hansen was less frustrating in a lot of ways, because he played right up to his limitations and seemed to understand them. But he never had anything like the offensive touch Raymond had, or that ability to use his speed to create chances the same way.

I think Aman pretty clearly leans toward the Hansen end of things...but even less skill. He has the tools to be an effective player, but he also doesn't seem to have any NHL caliber offensive instincts. Where he gets his points, it's mostly just like Hansen where it's the product of hard work and feeding the puck to someone else more capable of making a play. Just doesn't process the offensive side of the game quickly enough to feel like there's much more offensive "upside" to explore there. Which is fine for a "found money" NHL center. But i don't think that's a limitation that's likely to change.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Yeah. Hansen was more or less an "offensive player" in Juniors who really reinvented his game to become a fantastic 3rd line grinder. He always had some offensive talent though. It showed up at even strength at the NHL level at times and he was one of those amazing "glue guys" who just makes a line work because he hustled, did the spadework, got to the net, and had enough offensive instincts to make some plays or at least keep the play alive around more skilled linemates. He was great in that role and there was always elements of that to him. But he was never a real play driver.

If Hansen had better finish, he would've been a completely different player. :laugh: The problem with Hansen that always held him back was that he just didn't have the natural hands, timing, or touch to be a top quality finisher. He was just a really good, hardworking complementary winger who could survive occasionally in the Top-6 on sheer effort, grit, and that ability to get the puck to better players.

Raymond was a legitimate Top-6 scorer for a bunch of years. It was always complicated by the fact he wasn't the greatest puck distributor and neither was Kesler. But he was absolutely a Top-6 Caliber winger, where Hansen was always just sort of a stand-in for one. Raymond had a different sort of speed and offensive instincts from Hansen. Raymond was a frustrating player because too often, he'd use that speed to skate himself into nowhere, and he lacked the elite shot of a sniper so he garnered the reputation of a "crest sniper". But the point is, he was capable of generate all sorts of good offensive chances with his speed and skill...even if most of them ended up right in the goalie's chest. Hansen was less frustrating in a lot of ways, because he played right up to his limitations and seemed to understand them. But he never had anything like the offensive touch Raymond had, or that ability to use his speed to create chances the same way.

I think Aman pretty clearly leans toward the Hansen end of things...but even less skill. He has the tools to be an effective player, but he also doesn't seem to have any NHL caliber offensive instincts. Where he gets his points, it's mostly just like Hansen where it's the product of hard work and feeding the puck to someone else more capable of making a play. Just doesn't process the offensive side of the game quickly enough to feel like there's much more offensive "upside" to explore there. Which is fine for a "found money" NHL center. But i don't think that's a limitation that's likely to change.
Great post

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Torres - Malhotra - Hansen was an elite 3rd line. They did everything - shut down opponents, hit and score.

We havent had a third line even come close since then… I think they mightve been the best 3rd line in the NHL that year. The other that comes to mine is Cooke-Staal-Talbot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad