Confirmed with Link: Niku re-signs 2 years $725K AAV

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
no idea where he fits into the line up. he's not better than anyone on the right side, left side maybe 3LD? i definitely would not pair him at 2LD with Pionk. Even then, think Maurice would go with Beaulieu or Samberg at 3LD. Id go Samberg.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
no idea where he fits into the line up. he's not better than anyone on the right side, left side maybe 3LD? i definitely would not pair him at 2LD with Pionk. Even then, think Maurice would go with Beaulieu or Samberg at 3LD. Id go Samberg.

If his defensive abilities haven’t improved, give him a go at forward and see what he can do. He certainly has more offensive skill that some of a depth pieces.
I just don’t see him playing D while Maurice is here.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If his defensive abilities haven’t improved, give him a go at forward and see what he can do. He certainly has more offensive skill that some of a depth pieces.
I just don’t see him playing D while Maurice is here.

And what, play bottom 6 forward when he's not even defensively responsible or physical enough to crack our lacking defensive core? Also I know we had Buff, but you don't see many players in the NHL jump from defenseman to forward, or vice versa, for good reason.

I think Niku has the tools, just needs to put it together. It is unfortunate that he ran into injury problems last season as that would have been the most opportune time to gain some NHL experience and get through some growing pains. I imagine his rumoured attitude issues might turn around as a lot of people mature greatly after their first child. Maybe he'll come to camp having had an offseason with an entirely different training mentality and approach to the new season? :dunno:

There's a lot more bodies blocking his way now though, especially if Heinola and Samberg both make the team (and if we trade for/sign another D), so it will be hard for him to get the chance to prove himself. Although every year it seems I'm somehow always surprised at how many games extra/depth defensemen get, so I guess we'll see. That is if he's not included in a trade.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Good for Niku. Good for the Jets. With the one way deal for 2 years, we know which 2 defensemen are going to be exposed in the expansion draft. There's not much you can say about his year last year. When you are injured it is difficult to get up to and keep pace, that was what hampered Poolman the year before. I'd say this boosts the Jets playable defensive depth to at least 10 strong, without including Heinola. I was trying to figure how his salary was so low. I thought ELCs earned an automatic 10% increase with qualification, is that of qualifying his previous cumulative base salary?

Reactions: Inshallah

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Good for Niku. Good for the Jets. With the one way deal for 2 years, we know which 2 defensemen are going to be exposed in the expansion draft. There's not much you can say about his year last year. When you are injured it is difficult to get up to and keep pace, that was what hampered Poolman the year before. I'd say this boosts the Jets playable defensive depth to at least 10 strong, without including Heinola. I was trying to figure how his salary was so low. I thought ELCs earned an automatic 10% increase with qualification, is that of qualifying his previous cumulative base salary?
The qualifying offer for Niku would have been 105% of last years base salary which would have been $882,000. He obviously took the security of a 2 year deal and at an amount that makes him as attractive as possible to another team in a trade. Being available to Seattle in the XD is also probably something he is very open to.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The qualifying offer for Niku would have been 105% of last years base salary which would have been $882,000. He obviously took the security of a 2 year deal and at an amount that makes him as attractive as possible to another team in a trade. Being available to Seattle in the XD is also probably something he is very open to.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought a qualified player had to get a raise, didn't realize it was negotiable.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks for the explanation. I thought a qualified player had to get a raise, didn't realize it was negotiable.
The QO is a 1 year raise, anything after that is negotiable. Niku also didn't meet the minimum requirement for the QO not to to be a 2 way contract. It looks like Niku took the security of a 2 year deal and my guess confirmation will come out that it is a 1 way contract.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
The 2 year, $725K AAV signing is kind of a surprise. Good cheap depth, and a D who can be exposed in the expansion draft.

Makes me wonder if that combination (cheap contract, expansion draft eligibility) makes him attractive as a throw in to a Roslovic trade?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The 2 year, $725K AAV signing is kind of a surprise. Good cheap depth, and a D who can be exposed in the expansion draft.

Makes me wonder if that combination (cheap contract, expansion draft eligibility) makes him attractive as a throw in to a Roslovic trade?
This contract has made him as attractive as possible to a team that thinks he be an everyday player.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The QO applies to a 1 year deal. They can negotiate a 2 year extension at a lower rate.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
And what, play bottom 6 forward when he's not even defensively responsible or physical enough to crack our lacking defensive core? Also I know we had Buff, but you don't see many players in the NHL jump from defenseman to forward, or vice versa, for good reason.

I think Niku has the tools, just needs to put it together. It is unfortunate that he ran into injury problems last season as that would have been the most opportune time to gain some NHL experience and get through some growing pains. I imagine his rumoured attitude issues might turn around as a lot of people mature greatly after their first child. Maybe he'll come to camp having had an offseason with an entirely different training mentality and approach to the new season? :dunno:

There's a lot more bodies blocking his way now though, especially if Heinola and Samberg both make the team (and if we trade for/sign another D), so it will be hard for him to get the chance to prove himself. Although every year it seems I'm somehow always surprised at how many games extra/depth defensemen get, so I guess we'll see. That is if he's not included in a trade.
I don't think they'll bring Heinola over this year. There's not likely to be an AHL as a back up plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad