Speculation: Nikolaj Ehlers

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Calgary could be willing to offer something around the Vancouver 1st+ Mangiapane or maybe a Coleman+ style offer. Winnipeg gets the option of a couple playoff style players with differing additions based on who they choose, and Calgary gets an offensive driver who they can give plenty of opportunity to. Calgary’s forward corps begin to look more filled out after with around $18M in cap space to spare:

Ehlers-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Huberdeau-Zary-Sharangovich
Pelletier-Backlund-Mangiapane/Coleman
Does Mang have a bad contract or something. This is second thread in a row I read Flames are trying to pawn him off

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Does Mang have a bad contract or something. This is second thread in a row I read Flames are trying to pawn him off
5.8M with next year being his last so currently a bit overpaid but not for long, with the possibility of retention. Some Calgary fans (definitely not all) think with some of our kids looking for spots and increased roles he’d be an easier player to move with retention that could have value, while others are just on board for selling every and any potential UFAs. I’m one of the few who’d rather just look for active upgrades to the roster.

He has bounce back potential as well, but it’s starting to look less and less likely that’s with the Flames. His first full season he paced for 21 goals, his second 26, then his third was his 35 goal year, before his last couple years where it came down to Earth.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm thinking that he most likely stays with the Jets.

Jets needs are a top 4 defenseman and a top 6 winger (if they trade Ehlers).

Top 4 d-men are generally worth more than 2nd line wingers, so the Jets would have to add.

I was thinking Chychrun, but the cost of acquiring him....

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Ehlers is a hard eval. Trouble staying on the ice and playoff results are sticky points but in the right system with true top six minutes, he’d cook.

Think Avs or Devils - teams the love speed and even strength analytics.

Reactions: hn777

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I fully expect him to get moved and some team will be getting an elite talent. It unfortunate they couldn't find a steady line for him. Dude played mostly 2nd and 3rd line minutes in Wpg.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad