Player Discussion Niko Mikkola

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This guy really reminds me of Marek Malik. Interpret that for what you will, good and bad.

Also as a frame of refefence, compared to Ben Harpur, he looks like prime Ryan McDonaugh.
i mean i quite liked Marek Malik but Mikkola is a mean son of a bitch and i think Malik had like 3 hits in his career lol. sizable difference there in style

Reactions: bhamill

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Feeling a coast to coast wrap around goal similar to Marc Staal opening up the season a few years ago.

I think people like to highlight the few times he’s been stuck in his zone and gassed. He’s a great 6D and I think will be valuable in the playoffs with his size and skating.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
i was told earlier that he sucks.. told you this guy is good especially as a #5 instead of a #2. would be great if they could find a way to keep him

Blues fans were acting like this guy was a cap dump or a severely negative impact player that NYR did them a favor by taking him on…

I don’t get it…unless they had weird unrealistic expectations for him

He’s solid and a perfectly capable NHL defenseman who can stabilize lower pairings and play above his head on too on higher pairings in complimentary role, if needed.

He’s miles better than Harpur/Schneider or anything else NYR can throw out there on the botttom pair like Jones/Hajek

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
This. I thought he was shit when he got here. Was taking a boatload of penalties, but he's scaled that back heavily and looks pretty good on D.
In fairness to Mikkola, half of those penalty calls were absolute garbage. A ton of ghost calls for being 6'4" and actually strong, and knocking smaller players off the puck.

A few legit stick calls in there, but a bunch of BS as well.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In fairness to Mikkola, half of those penalty calls were absolute garbage. A ton of ghost calls for being 6'4" and actually strong, and knocking smaller players off the puck.

A few legit stick calls in there, but a bunch of BS as well.
The first game was absurd. A hooking call after a missed offside, a puck over the glass that was a deflection. A hat-trick of penalties, two of which should not have been called.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
Is someone good with Photoshop? We need a Mikkola gif, can someone edit that?

giphy (15).gif

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Blues fans were acting like this guy was a cap dump or a severely negative impact player that NYR did them a favor by taking him on…

I don’t get it…unless they had weird unrealistic expectations for him

He’s solid and a perfectly capable NHL defenseman who can stabilize lower pairings and play above his head on too on higher pairings in complimentary role, if needed.

He’s miles better than Harpur/Schneider or anything else NYR can throw out there on the botttom pair like Jones/Hajek
He was on a crappy team and he himself was having a down year there. His prior year his metrics were actually pretty good. The hope was by joining the Rangers he would be able to rediscover his game, which it seems he has.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What is a reasonable price for him on a 2-3 year deal He got 1.9 the last 2 seasons so he's going to need a raise. 2.5M? Is that too much for a bottom pair dman (but at least can step up to a better pair when needed)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
What is a reasonable price for him on a 2-3 year deal He got 1.9 the last 2 seasons so he's going to need a raise. 2.5M? Is that too much for a bottom pair dman (but at least can step up to a better pair when needed)
Considering our cap structure, I think it unfortunately is too much. We basically need our bottom pair on ELC/minimum contracts. I think 2,5 for Mikkola is fair, but not sure if we can do it and there will be plenty of interest on him for that price.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
To me the reaction to Robertson and Jones having inconsequential years is to start thinking about a 4-5 year extension for Ryan Lindgren, not spend money on a third pairing defenseman.

Jones and Robertson should get one last shot to make the team next season. Don't need to spend more on the 3rd pair

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
To me the reaction to Robertson and Jones having inconsequential years is to start thinking about a 4-5 year extension for Ryan Lindgren, not spend money on a third pairing defenseman.

Jones and Robertson should get one last shot to make the team next season. Don't need to spend more on the 3rd pair
problem is Lindgren extension would be in the 5 million range a season. We honestly can not do that for Lindgren and I love him. The man is a warrior but with our cap situation it becomes Dan Girardi 2.0. The solution might be trading Lindgren and signing Mikkola for 3 years 2.5 per. Saves the Rangers 500,000 from Lindgren and 1 million from Mikkola to Robertson. So for next year thats a 1.5 million savings. Moving forward its a much greater savings. I originally thought Trouba was the guy to go but he is the true leader of this team and they need him. I love the way Tarasenko plays too, what does it take to sign him and do we need to move someone to make it happen?
Can you get Tarasenko for 2 years at 3.5 million per? If these numbers can play out- they fit under the cap with $241,309 in cap space left. LOL

Kreider - Mika - Tarasenko - Mikkola - Fox - Igor 36,166,667 ( Tarasenko for 3.5/ Mikkola for 2.5 )
Panarin - Trochek - Othmann - Miller - Trouba - ??? 30,412,024 ( 66,578,691 ) ( Miller 3.0/ back up goalie 1.25 )
Laffy - Chytil - KK - Robertson - Schneider 10,322,500 ( 76,901,191 ) ( Chytil 3.5/ Laffy 3.0 )
Cuylie - Goody - Vesey - Harper 6,057,500 ( 82,958,691)
??? 800,000 ( 83,758,691) ( 13th Forward 800,000 )

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
problem is Lindgren extension would be in the 5 million range a season. We honestly can not do that for Lindgren and I love him. The man is a warrior but with our cap situation it becomes Dan Girardi 2.0. The solution might be trading Lindgren and signing Mikkola for 3 years 2.5 per. Saves the Rangers 500,000 from Lindgren and 1 million from Mikkola to Robertson. So for next year thats a 1.5 million savings. Moving forward its a much greater savings. I originally thought Trouba was the guy to go but he is the true leader of this team and they need him. I love the way Tarasenko plays too, what does it take to sign him and do we need to move someone to make it happen?
Can you get Tarasenko for 2 years at 3.5 million per? If these numbers can play out- they fit under the cap with $241,309 in cap space left. LOL

Kreider - Mika - Tarasenko - Mikkola - Fox - Igor 36,166,667 ( Tarasenko for 3.5/ Mikkola for 2.5 )
Panarin - Trochek - Othmann - Miller - Trouba - ??? 30,412,024 ( 66,578,691 ) ( Miller 3.0/ back up goalie 1.25 )
Laffy - Chytil - KK - Robertson - Schneider 10,322,500 ( 76,901,191 ) ( Chytil 3.5/ Laffy 3.0 )
Cuylie - Goody - Vesey - Harper 6,057,500 ( 82,958,691)
??? 800,000 ( 83,758,691) ( 13th Forward 800,000 )

No way Tarasenko is 2 years at 3.5M per. Absolute best case home run is 6M per with a longer term, and even that would represent a pay cut if he's inclined to stay with the team.

I'd love to see them keep Tarasenko, and it's unreasonable to speculate on contract negotiations without knowing how much of a role he plays in negotiations vs. leaving it to his agent, but there is no way they can keep Tarasenko unless Goodrow is moved (and I strongly believe that's the right move as Goodrow is not worth his cap hit and someone will overpay for "intangibles" "experience" and "grit."

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Another "quiet" good game. Start was rough, but now has fit in nicely.

Would love to keep him if we could make it work somehow. But I doubt we can.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Hope he can play this effectively and with effort on bottom pair when Lindgren gets back.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
This guy really reminds me of Marek Malik. Interpret that for what you will, good and bad.

Also as a frame of refefence, compared to Ben Harpur, he looks like prime Ryan McDonaugh.
Think I was the 1st, haha. His size and his stride for the biggest contributors that made me think that. Seems to be a bastard to play against, just ask Wilson, haha

Reactions: markymarc1215

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
What do we think he fetches ufa wise? I really hope we attempt to get him back for at least 1 more year. Hes only 26.

Perhaps even a 2 X 2 hed take. Cup chase for 2 years and up his value to hit ufa at 28 in 2025 with a higher cap ceiling. New york aint exactly a bad place to play either. Hes a very good 6D and has shown to be capable of being able to move up the lineup in the case of injury.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad