Prospect Info: Niko Mikkola (127th Overall in 2015) - Signs 2 year ELC

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think Ransku was saying that Mikkola's shot is similar to Edmundson's but he is better at moving with the puck at the blue line (walking the line/east-west skating/etc). That's how I read it anyway. :dunno:

Reactions: Ranksu

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think Ransku was saying that Mikkola's shot is similar to Edmundson's but he is better at moving with the puck at the blue line (walking the line/east-west skating/etc). That's how I read it anyway. :dunno:
Okay I get it. He has a lot more room to do that in European ice do I think it remains to be seen if that is truly a strength in North American professional hockey.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Okay I get it. He has a lot more room to do that in European ice do I think it remains to be seen if that is truly a strength in North American professional hockey.

Ofc he doesn't have room for it at NHL like Europe, but I haven't seen that tall Guy like Mikkola play that smoothly east - West at blueline.

I won't throw superstar names out there (like Burns or Hedman), but his skating is really another level compare to Parayko.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Watching him last preseason, he was more mobile and more inclined to venture deep into offensive zone than I was expecting.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm happy to see this contract signed. It felt like a no brainer, but it's nice to have it out of the way. I don't think he has much chance to play more than a handful of NHL games this year (unless our blue line depth looks dramatically different in two months), but competition is good and he's looking like he might be able to be a regular top 6 NHL D man as early as 2019. That's exciting for a 2015 5th rounder and we'll be in need of reliable defensive play on the 3rd pairing since Bouw, Gunnar and Bortz all have contracts expiring after the upcoming season.

I'd love for him to surprise me at camp this year, but I'm excited to get him to North America even if he proves not to be NHL ready.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I don’t necessarily expect Mikkola to play for the Blues next year, but I wouldn’t entirely rule it out either. Season on the line, and we were running Butler and Reinke out there. We have a huge unknown on when Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester are ready, and then how good they will be after that.

Absent any summer moves that change things, if you are a left side dman in San Antonio, the message should be to get yourself ready because the opportunity is definitely here for 2019, and given the unknowns entering 2018, it could be there sooner for anyone that kicks down the door.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Bortz is comfortable on the left side, so you probably start with

Eddy/Petro
Dunn/Parayko
Bortz/Schmaltz

Ive heard people say they would move Parayko in the right deal. Imagine those pairing you just listed without Parayko? Ugly

Reactions: 67Blues

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Ive heard people say they would move Parayko in the right deal. Imagine those pairing you just listed without Parayko? Ugly
If they were insane and moved Parayko without a plan for a #4 RHD, then they would get what they deserved and Yeo/Army probably wouldn't make it through the end of the season. Even if JBo came back healthy and moved to the right side, it would still be very ugly.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
He looked good at the prospect camp last summer, will be interesting to him this summer hopefully there and during the preseason to how he developed over the course of the season. Good to get him into San Antonio this year.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Bill Armstrong has basically built an entire defense outside of the 1st round. Yeah we have Petro but aside from him, Dunn, Edmundson and Parayko are all top-4 D. Walman and Mikkola look like potential future NHL'ers. And even Lindbohm is good enough to be a #7. Pretty awesome.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Some promising statistics about Mikkola:

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Bill Armstrong has basically built an entire defense outside of the 1st round. Yeah we have Petro but aside from him, Dunn, Edmundson and Parayko are all top-4 D. Walman and Mikkola look like potential future NHL'ers. And even Lindbohm is good enough to be a #7. Pretty awesome.
That’s the best way to do it too.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I know what you're all thinking. "What about that little guy":

View media item 2325
To which Ranksu would certainly tell us:

cd9906d7a6e12540687506798a85c55d.jpg

It's even better than not worrying about that little guy. That blip is a great thing. I'm not sure there is a worse place to take a shot from than along the boards on the goal line, and opponents are selecting to shoot from there more when he is on the ice than they usually would.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It's even better than not worrying about that little guy. That blip is a great thing. I'm not sure there is a worse place to take a shot from than along the boards on the goal line, and opponents are selecting to shoot from there more when he is on the ice than they usually would.

Short-side, bad angle? Have you seen who's our #1 Goalie? That's exactly where the Blues DON'T want people shooting on Allen from...

And yes...that map is a coaches wet dream...i'm sure the Blues would gladly give up a few more long-range shots from the opposing LD, or some horrible prayer of a shot from the corner, considering most of the danger areas are icy-blue. Honestly, I just wanted another reason to post a Super Troopers meme.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Anytime you can use the "that little guy meme"......use it. No matter how many mental hurdles you have to clear

Reactions: Stealth JD

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I’m absolutely stunned that ranksu is using hyperbole when talking about a Finnish player!

If he is on another level from Parayko, when it comes to skating, this must be the Finnish Bobby Orr!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad