Prospect Info: Niko Mikkola (127th Overall in 2015) - Signs 2 year ELC

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Our D-man boy has become a man. December 9, 2021 Mikkola won his place in the NHL. He's here to stay.

He has some offense too. Believe he led a rush and made the drop pass that set up Walker's second goal.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
He’s not an elite stud or anything but it’s nice to get a solid contributor in the 5th round (or later). I know it’s rare league wide but the blues haven’t found anything that late in a draft since the three year stretch (03-05) of Stempniak, Polak, and Reaves

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He’s not an elite stud or anything but it’s nice to get a solid contributor in the 5th round (or later). I know it’s rare league wide but the blues haven’t found anything that late in a draft since the three year stretch of (03-05) of Stempniak, Polak, and Reaves
I consider Blais a solid contributor. He was a hits machine for us and scored at a 30 point pace over his last 2 seasons here. He played 15 playoff games for us on the Cup run and then (along with a 2nd rounder) returned Buchnevich in a trade. He contributed for us and obviously the Rangers view him as a contributor. I wouldn't say that Mikkola has reached the level Blais did (even though he appears to be rounding into a quality player).

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Our D-man boy has become a man. December 9, 2021 Mikkola won his place in the NHL. He's here to stay.

He has some offense too. Believe he led a rush and made the drop pass that set up Walker's second goal.
miko.gif

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I always knew he had the tools to be a Parayko-lite type of player, so I figured he would be a solid replacement for when Bouwmeester retired. Obviously things didn't go quite how I expected, but here we are. All we really need from Mikkola is for him to be a solid, tough to play against, shut down guy to take some of the load off of Parayko. I think he can be that guy. I'd like to see:

Mikkola - Parayko
Scandella - Faulk
Krug - Perunovich/Bortuzzo

Parayko/Mikkola - Heavy defensive assignments, PK
Scandella/Faulk - Balanced offensive and defensive assignments, some PK
Krug/Perunovich/Bortuzzo - Offensive assignments/PP (PK for Bortuzzo)

You can move Krug up if we're behind and need some more offense and you can swap Mikkola/Scandella from time to time if need be.

But that Mikkola-Parayko pairing has the potential to be really annoying to play against. I just wish they were both a bit more physical. They could both clobber guys trying to beat them wide if they wanted to, but they usually elect to go for a stick check instead, especially Parayko, but he's really good at it so I can't complain too much.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I consider Blais a solid contributor. He was a hits machine for us and scored at a 30 point pace over his last 2 seasons here. He played 15 playoff games for us on the Cup run and then (along with a 2nd rounder) returned Buchnevich in a trade. He contributed for us and obviously the Rangers view him as a contributor. I wouldn't say that Mikkola has reached the level Blais did (even though he appears to be rounding into a quality player).
Idk how I forgot about Blais lol, good catch

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Blues are good at finding depth pieces in the later rounds, but they haven't been able to find guys like Benn, Gaudreau, Palat, Point, Kaprizov, Guentzel, do I need to keep going? And before anyone says it, yes I'm aware finding players like this is very rare, but I find it a bit weird we haven't hit on someone like that since maybe Stempniak or Handzus? Parayko is the obvious defenseman mid rounder that has blossomed, but I'm surprised we haven't found another gem. Carolina has some really good scouting especially on the defensive end, Tampa has good forward scouting, Anaheim had great goaltending scouting. I don't know how this regime will do for the Blues, but I'm hoping we find some nice pieces from these recent drafts. Loof looks promising, Robertsson hopefully comes over to the AHL at some point cause he's getting shafted on ice time, Kessel might be a good bottom pairing d-man, Tucker could be decent.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Blues are good at finding depth pieces in the later rounds, but they haven't been able to find guys like Benn, Gaudreau, Palat, Point, Kaprizov, Guentzel, do I need to keep going? And before anyone says it, yes I'm aware finding players like this is very rare, but I find it a bit weird we haven't hit on someone like that since maybe Stempniak or Handzus? Parayko is the obvious defenseman mid rounder that has blossomed, but I'm surprised we haven't found another gem. Carolina has some really good scouting especially on the defensive end, Tampa has good forward scouting, Anaheim had great goaltending scouting. I don't know how this regime will do for the Blues, but I'm hoping we find some nice pieces from these recent drafts. Loof looks promising, Robertsson hopefully comes over to the AHL at some point cause he's getting shafted on ice time, Kessel might be a good bottom pairing d-man, Tucker could be decent.

How much do you actually expect to be able to find guys like Kaprisov, Gaudreau, Benn, Point, ect. Those are PPG players, and finding anyone like those beyond round 1 requires a massive stroke of luck, or some exceptionally unusual circumstances (e.g. Pavel Bure).

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You've identified like six players taken over the past decade. So pretty much nobody finds guys like that in late rounds!

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
You've identified like six players taken over the past decade. So pretty much nobody finds guys like that in late rounds!
Right!

I'd go a bit further and say that undrafted NHL players have had just as much of an impact on the NHL as players drafted in rounds 3+.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
How much do you actually expect to be able to find guys like Kaprisov, Gaudreau, Benn, Point, ect. Those are PPG players, and finding anyone like those beyond round 1 requires a massive stroke of luck, or some exceptionally unusual circumstances (e.g. Pavel Bure).

I mean we can say this, but some clubs just know how to find guys after the 2nd round. Tampa drafts very well, Ottawa drafts and develop forwards very well, Nashville develops defenseman well. I mean we can laugh and point and say that it's a crapshoot after the 2nd round, but some teams just know how to find those players better than other teams. Detroit had an amazing reputation in the 90's and 00's for developing talent, so it's not like my statement is coming out of nowhere. Blues have had decent success since 2010 in drafting, but teams like Boston and Chicago have done better despite having more "playoff success". I've said this before and I want to say it again, I don't expect the Blues to find guys like Kaprizov every year or couple of years, but I'd like a bit better success with their picks. Your guys' criticism of my hopes are valid, but I think my concerns about the drafting are also valid, respectfully

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I mean we can say this, but some clubs just know how to find guys after the 2nd round. Tampa drafts very well, Ottawa drafts and develop forwards very well, Nashville develops defenseman well. I mean we can laugh and point and say that it's a crapshoot after the 2nd round, but some teams just know how to find those players better than other teams. Detroit had an amazing reputation in the 90's and 00's for developing talent, so it's not like my statement is coming out of nowhere. Blues have had decent success since 2010 in drafting, but teams like Boston and Chicago have done better despite having more "playoff success". I've said this before and I want to say it again, I don't expect the Blues to find guys like Kaprizov every year or couple of years, but I'd like a bit better success with their picks. Your guys' criticism of my hopes are valid, but I think my concerns about the drafting are also valid, respectfully
Detroit had success in 90s bc they were in Sweden and Russia much higher than everyone else. That is no longer true. And not sure why you are hilighting Boston and Chicago as they've both drafted terribly for past 6-8 years.

I think much of what we credit to scouting though is player development. Tampa is really good at it. Montreal has drafted lots of interesting prosepcts and none developed. Is that all on scouts or maybe organizational failure?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Detroit had success in 90s bc they were in Sweden and Russia much higher than everyone else. That is no longer true. And not sure why you are hilighting Boston and Chicago as they've both drafted terribly for past 6-8 years.

I think much of what we credit to scouting though is player development. Tampa is really good at it. Montreal has drafted lots of interesting prosepcts and none developed. Is that all on scouts or maybe organizational failure?
Obviously we have scouts in each of the major hockey countries in the world, but I have firm beliefs that some teams can and do scout better in those areas, but I can't really prove that. I highlighted Boston and Chicago because they were in a similar position as the Blues - playoff team who expects to go deep in the playoffs - yet it seems that they've at least gotten more games from these players than the Blues have. Now, is the quality better? I'd really have to deep dive on that one, but just man games in the past decade, Boston has 5273 (not all with Boston), Chicago has 6094 (not all with Chicago), and the Blues have 4732. Now of course, 2018 and 2019 may be a bit more skewed for Chicago on their first rounders, but they're still way above the Blues. Boston was incredibly lucky getting Seguin and Hamilton, but it is what it is.

I wish I knew which part of the organization is failing, but in Montreal's case, I think it could be both. Lots of interesting players, not a lot have developed like you'd want. I have to agree with you about Tampa, whether they draft gems or not, they develop the players incredibly well. I wish I had more information about this kind of stuff cause I'd love to have an actual conversation about drafting/developing, but I dont

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I could be wrong but wasn’t one of the big things about Kaprizov dropping mostly due to the unknown fact about whether he’d actually ever come over or not?

Edit: and a nice little tie in this thread, KK was picked 8 picks after Mikkola lol

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Obviously we have scouts in each of the major hockey countries in the world, but I have firm beliefs that some teams can and do scout better in those areas, but I can't really prove that. I highlighted Boston and Chicago because they were in a similar position as the Blues - playoff team who expects to go deep in the playoffs - yet it seems that they've at least gotten more games from these players than the Blues have. Now, is the quality better? I'd really have to deep dive on that one, but just man games in the past decade, Boston has 5273 (not all with Boston), Chicago has 6094 (not all with Chicago), and the Blues have 4732. Now of course, 2018 and 2019 may be a bit more skewed for Chicago on their first rounders, but they're still way above the Blues. Boston was incredibly lucky getting Seguin and Hamilton, but it is what it is.

I wish I knew which part of the organization is failing, but in Montreal's case, I think it could be both. Lots of interesting players, not a lot have developed like you'd want. I have to agree with you about Tampa, whether they draft gems or not, they develop the players incredibly well. I wish I had more information about this kind of stuff cause I'd love to have an actual conversation about drafting/developing, but I dont
Obviously some teams draft better than others and some develop better. And any edge we could get would be awesome. I wouldn't say we are best drafting team in league, but given where we've picked I think we have generally done pretty well. We really haven't done great drafting in Finn/Swe/Cze traditionally, but Miko and Husso were nice picks. Russia we have done pretty well (hard to get developmental guys from there bc they tend to stay in KHL). But yeah, this could be area for improvement.

I think the biggest thing with us is that we generally haven't had a lot of picks. Not just dealing firsts, but we have dealt lots of picks over the years. Bruins have all those games but how many picks did they make? Montreal has had lots of picks and not much to show for it. Are any of those Ch0ciago players any good? Feel like Tereuvainen is like last impact player they drafted until Dach?

Anyway, this is fascinating area. And picking late in rounds has made it tougher for us but we have got some gems. Would like more though, obviously. Part of challenge is if it takes 3-5 years minimum to evaluate draft class how many of the guys who made those picks still around?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Obviously some teams draft better than others and some develop better. And any edge we could get would be awesome. I wouldn't say we are best drafting team in league, but given where we've picked I think we have generally done pretty well. We really haven't done great drafting in Finn/Swe/Cze traditionally, but Miko and Husso were nice picks. Russia we have done pretty well (hard to get developmental guys from there bc they tend to stay in KHL). But yeah, this could be area for improvement.

I think the biggest thing with us is that we generally haven't had a lot of picks. Not just dealing firsts, but we have dealt lots of picks over the years. Bruins have all those games but how many picks did they make? Montreal has had lots of picks and not much to show for it. Are any of those Ch0ciago players any good? Feel like Tereuvainen is like last impact player they drafted until Dach?

Anyway, this is fascinating area. And picking late in rounds has made it tougher for us but we have got some gems. Would like more though, obviously. Part of challenge is if it takes 3-5 years minimum to evaluate draft class how many of the guys who made those picks still around?
I haven't dug super deep into the position these players were drafted, but here are the pick splits between those teams I mentioned:
Blues - 75
Bruins - 67
Hawks - 93
Having said this, the Blues still are sitting below games played per pick than the rest at 63.1 gp/pick. Chicago is at 65.5 and Boston at 78.7. What are the quality of players? This is a really good question, and is going to be hard to really make a definitive answer until a few more years down the road. I know some people like to use 200 games played for an impact player on the roster, so that might be a decent place to start. Feels a bit disingenuous to use points as a metric since someone like Hjalmarsson isn't going to rack up points but contributes in a different way.

I'm not sure if the Blues just need to add more scouts on their Euro scouting, but I do think it should be looked into. So far, I think Tkachuk is helping in the NCAA department, but I'd like a bit more data before I call him a great college scout. I'm sure the numbers are somewhere, but I'd like to see the number of scouts the Blues have and where exactly they scout at, and then compare those numbers to other clubs.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I haven't dug super deep into the position these players were drafted, but here are the pick splits between those teams I mentioned:
Blues - 75
Bruins - 67
Hawks - 93
Having said this, the Blues still are sitting below games played per pick than the rest at 63.1 gp/pick. Chicago is at 65.5 and Boston at 78.7. What are the quality of players? This is a really good question, and is going to be hard to really make a definitive answer until a few more years down the road. I know some people like to use 200 games played for an impact player on the roster, so that might be a decent place to start. Feels a bit disingenuous to use points as a metric since someone like Hjalmarsson isn't going to rack up points but contributes in a different way.

I'm not sure if the Blues just need to add more scouts on their Euro scouting, but I do think it should be looked into. So far, I think Tkachuk is helping in the NCAA department, but I'd like a bit more data before I call him a great college scout. I'm sure the numbers are somewhere, but I'd like to see the number of scouts the Blues have and where exactly they scout at, and then compare those numbers to other clubs.
Maybe Tkachuk is an amazing scout. I know he gets credit frequently for guys he advocated. But I also kind of get the sense that they're going out of their way to give him credit. Is it common for a HOF caliber player to spend his retirement time scouting? I would think to do that well you'd have to endure hardships that a lot of guys just won't tolerate at that point. I think they're acknowledging Tkachuk's contribution.

Deko

Jul 14, 2011
Helsinki
Now, is the quality better? I'd really have to deep dive on that one, but just man games in the past decade, Boston has 5273 (not all with Boston), Chicago has 6094 (not all with Chicago), and the Blues have 4732.

You have to take into consideration that the Blues have only had one top-20 pick during the last decade and it was this year. Bruins on the other hand had five between 2015 and 2017. Out of these five McAvoy is elite, DeBrusk is a decent middle-six forward and Senyshyn, Zboril and Vaakanainen have been busts. 2015, which generally had an excellent draft class, when they drafted Zboril, DeBrusk and Senyshyn with consecutive picks (13th-15th) looks even worse considering that the next three players selected were Barzal, Connor and Chabot. Furthermore, if we compare the Blues and Bruins selections in 2015 you could argue that Dunn is the best player drafted by either team in that year, even though Bruins had six picks prior to Dunn's selection at 56th overall.

Regarding finding quality in the later rounds, Parayko was drafted 86th overall.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
You have to take into consideration that the Blues have only had one top-20 pick during the last decade and it was this year. Bruins on the other hand had five between 2015 and 2017. Out of these five McAvoy is elite, DeBrusk is a decent middle-six forward and Senyshyn, Zboril and Vaakanainen have been busts. 2015, which generally had an excellent draft class, when they drafted Zboril, DeBrusk and Senyshyn with consecutive picks (13th-15th) looks even worse considering that the next three players selected were Barzal, Connor and Chabot. Furthermore, if we compare the Blues and Bruins selections in 2015 you could argue that Dunn is the best player drafted by either team in that year, even though Bruins had six picks prior to Dunn's selection at 56th overall.

Regarding finding quality in the later rounds, Parayko was drafted 86th overall.
When regarding Boston, yes I have to concede that they have drafted higher than the Blues most times despite having more playoff success over those 10 years. However, Chicago has done really well with their draft picks which are roughly in the same range as the Blues, and have hit more in the later rounds (albeit it happened more so between 2010-2013), but I understand what you're saying. Maybe my critique is directed towards what position we've drafted rather than quality of player? Because the last good defenseman we've drafted that was in the first 2 rounds was Perunovich, and he's been a pleasant acquisition draft-wise. Then we really missed on Vanelli and Schmaltz, but we got Dunn and Edmundson. After those players, we haven't drafted a defenseman very often in those first two rounds. We've had 24 picks in rounds 1 & 2 and have only drafted 5 defenseman in that time. We've been fortunate enough to get some decent bottom 6/top 4 players in the later rounds, but aside from Vova and Schwartz, we haven't gotten that dynamic talent out of our top picks. Some of that is due to injury, while some of it is just conservative drafting. Thomas and Kyrou are the most recent picks who have bonafide top 6 talent, but Parayko is probably the only defenseman we've drafted recently with top 2 potential. In saying this, I really don't know if that's a good output of talent or not. It could be the case that we've drafted and developed more top end talent compared to the rest of the league, but I think that kind of analysis would take a while to really figure out.

Chicago has had AWFUL luck drafting defenseman, but it kind of makes sense that they wouldn't have had to in the 2010's. Boston has done well in both departments, but like you've said, they have drafted higher than the Blues on like 3 occasions, so it makes sense that those players would be better than what we drafted. I wish I knew the Blues' drafting philosophy when they are scouting and drafting, but I believe it's more conservative if there are no home runs left

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad