Proposal: Niklas Kronwall?

LeafFan

Jun 20, 2017
Would fans be opposed to trading for Niklas Kronwall?

Obviously he has the history with Babcock, and he can play the right side on D (despite being left handed shot) and has an expiring contract (in which he only gets paid 1.75M with his 4.75M cap hit). I think he could slot in nicely on the 2nd line. We do already have Hainsey, but Kronwall would be another nice leader to have on D.

Wings are right up against the cap before their LTIR kicks in on Franzen, but there's no reason to be near the bottom of the league but at the top in cap hit. Leafs trading for Kronwall might not cost much either. Draft pick + Prospect + A guy like Pickard (Bernier and Howard are their only options in net, both 30+, and Howard is expiring).

Leafs have the space anyways, so why not? He's not the same guy he was a few years ago, but still a serviceable Dman, especially for just 1 year. What he can bring on and off the ice I think could be real valuable to the Leafs whose weakness obviously is on D.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I have heard that he is slower and his knees are shot. Also, I think red wing fans are ready to move on from him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's not worth very much. Detroit would probably not be willing to pay to get rid of him, but he's not going to get them anything of value either. Maybe a couple of prospects/players we do not want anymore.

Although he's not really an upgrade over what we have right now either.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
If he's not even good enough for a non-playoff team, what use does a contender have for him?

dzombs

Jul 8, 2016
Does the trade include a time machine and we get young kronwall? If not then that's going to be a hard no for me

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I'd be interested if we could dump some contracts.

After Nylander is signed we are at 48.

I'd prefer to be around 45 or 46 so we can bring some PTOs in / sign college free agents closer to the end of the season.

I really didn't like sitting at 49/50 last year, feel like it can really limit a team from making small moves

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I'd be interested if we could dump some contracts.

After Nylander is signed we are at 48.

I'd prefer to be around 45 or 46 so we can bring some PTOs in / sign college free agents closer to the end of the season.

I really didn't like sitting at 49/50 last year, feel like it can really limit a team from making small moves
College free agents? Get off of HF, Brian.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
College free agents? Get off of HF, Brian.

Previewing The August College Free Agent Market

Couple guys here I would be fine with adding to see what they can become.

Summers is a RHD who had some decent college numbers.

Peterson is a big C I wouldn't mind on an AHL deal as our C depth is kind horrendous.

Mostly AHL deals if anything but I would prefer to roll the dice on guys we think we can turn into NHLers if things work out vs guys we have now who we may know are AHL caped.

Reactions: Eb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad