Niklas Kronwall with a patented hit on Rudolfs Balcers (update: Hit on Foligno)

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I really wish he wanted to be moved for one last run at a cup. With the way hes been hitting people lately I think he can manage one hell of a final run.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Biggest hitter of the last 15 years.. hes put a few more notches on his belt/highlight reel this season too.Foligno is 6'3 and 230 lbs and he just tossed him like he was nothing

Reactions: Tomas W and Grimm

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
A patented Kronwall is jumping into someone's head with his ass to them. That was just a beauty hit.

If you watch slow mo hits, he really only had both feet off the ice when contact was initiated was on the Kesler hit. The Kucherov suspension was honestly a joke and was pretty controversial. He's never been suspended besides that. Let's end this narrative right now.

Reactions: JFG and IlikeEich

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
If you watch slow mo hits, he really only had both feet off the ice when contact was initiated was on the Kesler hit. The Kucherov suspension was honestly a joke and was pretty controversial. He's never been suspended besides that. Let's end this narrative right now.
Not true. And having both feet off the ice isnt really a judgement on charging or not. Feet do come off the ice after contact; however a good way to tell if a player jumped/launched into a hit is if they already have one foot off the ice at the point of contact. That happens to include most of Kronwall's catalog of highlight hits. Torres still had one skate on the ice when he hit Hossa; he also still clearly jumped.

On to addressing the actual hit(s) in question.

How often do you hear pads crack from a hockey hit? I mean he just smoked Foligno there

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Not true. And having both feet off the ice isnt really a judgement on charging or not. Feet do come off the ice after contact; however a good way to tell if a player jumped/launched into a hit is if they already have one foot off the ice at the point of contact. That happens to include most of Kronwall's catalog of highlight hits. Torres still had one skate on the ice when he hit Hossa; he also still clearly jumped.

How often do you hear pads crack from a hockey hit? I mean he just smoked Foligno there

So you know more than the NHL rulebook?? Kronwall has been suspended ONCE and that was pretty suspect. Even Kucherov after the hit said he had zero issues with it. The Havlat hit, Edzo a Detroit Red Wings HATER, called it vicious but clean. Torres hit was more late/interference and a charge based on distance traveled and a Kronwalling vs that hit are completely different not even close....

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Weird how many of these hes thrown recently despite being essentially useless the last 2 years?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

As a Wings fan the only hit I had an issue with was the Kesler hit... that was very dirty.

Even Kucherov saod the hit on him was great. That was a BS suspension for a game 7.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Can't believe Foligno didn't decide to dummy him.

Whether it's right or wrong (depends on the poster) Kronwall will neverfogjy for a hit the refs consider clean.

*IMO he never should either, but I understand both sides.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Bringing back the big hits, swear he disappeared in this regard for a few seasons.

His knee is feeling the best it has in two or three years according to him. I don't think he trusted that it wouldn't give out completely while doing this. He backed out of a few of them the last few years, he would still line guys up, but you would watch him pull the plug or he couldn't bring the same force he used to when he did come down to execute the hit. One of the things about most Kronwallings is like the Foligno hit he generally picks guys that are significantly bigger than him. Part of it is those big guys have bad habits of trying to fly the zone with their head down, but Clowe, Heatley and most of these guys over the years have been much larger than him.

Kronwall has actually had a fairly solid year, we have expected this to be his last in Detroit for a couple years and now rumors are he might be back for one more. I don't think that is going to go over super well with most our fan-base, but unless we win the lottery and sign a couple big free agents we shouldn't be in contention for much and he brings a ton off the ice for our group. That his physicality is returning a bit is nice as well if he continues. The only thing that dried these up were the condition of his knee, perhaps he has figured something out to help adjust to the degeneration in the knee and make it easier to play with the pain.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Kronwall has been suspended once, and I believe fined for highsticking Coyle on accident while attempting one. He actually does have a couple leaping elbows when he first broke in that are brutal to watch but that is before rule 48. As soon as that came in he pivoted to turning his back and doing the hit that you have seen most often with his butt for the last decade. He actually adjusted to the rule system, it is a part of why the league doesn't punish him.

People can keep claiming what you're claiming, but the league has supported this claim once. So a whole bunch of hockey people aren't seeing what you're seeing and have routinely looked at his hits and said yes these are within the rules. I get not liking them, I understand why people have disliked Kronwall around the league, but your opinion on the legality has been continuously refuted both by the NHL and the IIHF which has even harsher standards and has let a couple of the big Kronwallings go completely unpunished at the international hockey level. The reason for that is while they are heavy and while he sometimes goes flying himself because he is 6' and 185 to 190lbs they are within the current rulebooks in the sport.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Bringing back the big hits, swear he disappeared in this regard for a few seasons.

Weird how many of these hes thrown recently despite being essentially useless the last 2 years?

Yeah like has been mentioned, it seems like this is the first year in a long time where his knee is actually holding up and hes not playing through it hurting him. Hes probably had 4 or 5 big time hits this year where the season or two before he probably didnt have that combined. His hit on Anders Lee this year is one of the biggest of his career.

Anders Lee 6'3, 230 lbs, same with Foligno, Kronwall is 5'11 or so and probably not even 200 lbs and he just absolutely dummied both of them. Hes ridiculously strong for his size

Reactions: Beville

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
So you know more than the NHL rulebook?? Kronwall has been suspended ONCE and that was pretty suspect. Even Kucherov after the hit said he had zero issues with it. The Havlat hit, Edzo a Detroit Red Wings HATER, called it vicious but clean. Torres hit was more late/interference and a charge based on distance traveled and a Kronwalling vs that hit are completely different not even close....
The NHL rulebook doesnt mention the amount of feet off the ice if thats what you are implying.

Also, what do suspensions have to do whether he used to leave his feet a lot when he hit people? Ovechkin used to jump/leave his feet all the time when he hit people, specifically his first 2 years in the league. He also was never suspended for any of them

Players rarely got suspended for charging unless it was Steve Downie on Dean McCammond level heinous.

Also, you red wings fans acting like Im calling Kronwall dirty are being ridiculous. I just said he used to leave his feet when he hit people. Which everyone but Red Wings fans can readily admit/ see.

Why even bring up the Havlat hit when he didnt jump into that one?

Think his hit on Lupul in 06-07, Ruutu in the 08 finals, arguably the Bonk hit, the Kesler hit, a hit on Teemu Selanne in the 09 playoffs, Peverly in 08, one of his hits on Miettinen, think those kinds of hits

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Kronwall has been suspended once, and I believe fined for highsticking Coyle on accident while attempting one. He actually does have a couple leaping elbows when he first broke in that are brutal to watch but that is before rule 48. As soon as that came in he pivoted to turning his back and doing the hit that you have seen most often with his butt for the last decade. He actually adjusted to the rule system, it is a part of why the league doesn't punish him.

People can keep claiming what you're claiming, but the league has supported this claim once. So a whole bunch of hockey people aren't seeing what you're seeing and have routinely looked at his hits and said yes these are within the rules. I get not liking them, I understand why people have disliked Kronwall around the league, but your opinion on the legality has been continuously refuted both by the NHL and the IIHF which has even harsher standards and has let a couple of the big Kronwallings go completely unpunished at the international hockey level. The reason for that is while they are heavy and while he sometimes goes flying himself because he is 6' and 185 to 190lbs they are within the current rulebooks in the sport.
what Im claiming is that he used to jump into hits, which you just agreed with. Where am I calling for suspensions? Where am I saying he is a dirty player?

Because this is the second post specifically bringing up his suspension history as if that really means anything.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Kronwall launches into hits on unsuspecting players. Whether both his feet are on the ice or 1 or none, he's still launching to do maximum damage. It's reckless disregard for the people he hits regardless of whether or not the rules allowed for this or that at the time.

Karma is his knee problems.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Expected his jumping head shot, surprised by a clean hit. Good for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad