Speculation: Niklas Backstrom, Josh Harding, Darcy Kuemper, and Johan Gustafsson, OH MY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
I said it in january and i say it again, Raanta is new Rinne. He's style of playing is similar to Patrick Roy's. Just so fun to watch.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Raanta was just phenomenal yesterday. I mean an absolute beast. One of the best performances I've seen a goalie have in WHC.

Would be awesome to get him here. I feel like he could succeed in the NHL level right away.

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I dunno, there's a lot of good promising goaltending in the Wild organization and not sure they want to add another promising young goalie with no NHL experience. Unless they re-sign Backstrom and cut Harding. But they have Kuemper and probably Gustafsson coming over as well.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
I dunno, there's a lot of good promising goaltending in the Wild organization and not sure they want to add another promising young goalie with no NHL experience. Unless they re-sign Backstrom and cut Harding. But they have Kuemper and probably Gustafsson coming over as well.

This is more than true, but from MPOV Raanta seems to be some levels above both our prospects..

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Sign Raanta, split time between him and Harding next season, cut Backs loose. Kuemp and Gustaffson keep developing until Harding is done in a year or two.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Backs has been run into the ground, quite possibly for good, thanks to Yeo's stubborn insistence on playing him every single game in a compressed season. Harding looks like he's getting a handle on his MS, so he's probably got around one good year left, and both Kuemper and Gustafsson could use a little seasoning.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Backs has been run into the ground, quite possibly for good, thanks to Yeo's stubborn insistence on playing him every single game in a compressed season. Harding looks like he's getting a handle on his MS, so he's probably got around one good year left, and both Kuemper and Gustafsson could use a little seasoning.

It is not Yeo's damn fault. None. Absolutely none.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Given Harding's stellar playoff performances thus far, if he continues I am starting to wonder if it would convince the organization to finally let Backstrom go and go with him and somebody else, whether that is Kuemper or a FA goalie in the crease next year.

A sentence I never thought possible a week ago.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
I think we roll Hards + a seasoned veteran next year. Possibly Backstrom will be re-signed, he is awesome, but just don't know his future with this organization.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
If we don't resign Bäckström, we'll still need another veteran goalie. Unfortunately there aren't many decent ones available. I don't see any way how we could go into the season with Harding being #1 and having only Kuemper to back him up. If Harding's health takes a turn for the worse, we'll be left with Kuemper as our starter. Ummmm, no thanks. This isn't a knock on Kuemper at all, I love him, but I don't want to put him in that position.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
So this is the problems with Wild.

Backstrom got run into the ground, he'll be 36 next year which is going to raise durability concerns.

Harding has MS. you never know when his next start is going to be his last.

Kuempur: Young, has shown promise, but he's young.

Gustavsson: Young, has played stellar in a professional league tho.

So if we cut Backs and go with Harding as the number 1 we could end up having to go with two rookies in the year if something happens to Harding.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens, but I'm a greedy **** so I'm saying I want the Finnish kid.

THEKOSTAJA

Apr 7, 2013
Turku
I'm laughing a bit at this Raanta hype. Yeah sure, he had ONE great season in Finland, that does not mean that he is NHL ready. For example, Atte Engren played very well in Finland for two seasons before going to AHL, and he did not succeed.

That being said, I still hope that Raanta lives up to the hype and get's a shot in the NHL in the near future.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
I'm laughing a bit at this Raanta hype. Yeah sure, he had ONE great season in Finland, that does not mean that he is NHL ready. For example, Atte Engren played very well in Finland for two seasons before going to AHL, and he did not succeed.

That being said, I still hope that Raanta lives up to the hype and get's a shot in the NHL in the near future.

The thing with Raanta is that he did not train like a pro until 2 years ago.The talent on this kid is insane. I am pretty sure that he will be next big finnish goalie. Besides, it tells something about his ambition towards NHL that he said he aint gonna go for easy money and sign to some khl team. He wanna be in NHL. Ofcourse i could be wrong and he's q total bust. But with 750-900k rookie (and a two way contract ofc.) it is a very, very low risk and very high reward situation.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Besides, it tells something about his ambition towards NHL that he said he aint gonna go for easy money and sign to some khl team. He wanna be in NHL.

This is really awesome. Always shows great ambition and guts to pursue your dream instead of KHL money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia