Speculation: Niklas Backstrom, Josh Harding, Darcy Kuemper, and Johan Gustafsson, OH MY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
With Matt Hackett being traded, it appears that it is imperative that Minnesota now signs Backstrom to at least a 2 year extension. I don't think Harding will be back next year and will retire, pushing either Gustafsson or Kuemper to backup for the rest of the year. So the question now is, when and how much is Backstrom going to come back for? And can Minnesota now afford to lose him?

Mumbler*

With Matt Hackett being traded, it appears that it is imperative that Minnesota now signs Backstrom to at least a 2 year extension. I don't think Harding will be back next year and will retire, pushing either Gustafsson or Kuemper to backup for the rest of the year. So the question now is, when and how much is Backstrom going to come back for? And can Minnesota now afford to lose him?

Hopefully it goes something like.

Backs - 2 years, probably 1 good of those two. Kuemper backup, press for job, Gustafsson press job 2 years after Keumper has taken role. Have another stud in minors and trade for more awesomeness?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Exactly. Backstrom will be re-signed no problem. He's not going to demand $7 million/year or anything. He'll probably re-sign for something around $4.5 million/year for 2-3 years. If I were Chuck, I would offer 3 years at $12 million/year ($5 mil, then $4 mil, then $3 mil). Worst case scenario you have to trade Backstrom and somebody will take a flier on him at $3 million that last year.

Harding is gone. Sad to say, but true.

Kuemper and Gustafsson will have plenty of time to develop and fight for the starting job.

Billy Mays Here*

Just gonna throw it out there, because I'm starting to think it may actually happen. I think we keep Harding and go with him and Backs again next season. We only get one amnesty buyout per each off-season over the next two off-seasons correct? Use one on Heatley this off-season then use it on whomever the following off-season.

Have Kuemper and Gustafsson battle it out for the starting job in Houston next season, just like Hackett and Kuemper did this season.

As for Backstrom's next contract, I'm guessing around 2 years at 8 million.

I just have a feeling that once he gets on the right meds, Harding will be fine.

Billy Mays Here*

Harding. Not that good. When healthy.

So you're going to judge all 2 of his games this season as his current level of play? :laugh:

He's one of the better back-ups in the league, you should know that.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I remember the last couple of years I was so eager to jettison Backstrom when someone else was getting hot.

I have no point to make with this post.

Kaptain

WarBortles
Feb 7, 2013
Florida
So you're going to judge all 2 of his games this season as his current level of play? :laugh:

He's one of the better back-ups in the league, you should know that.

Nah, not just this season. I'm okay with him in limited action, but a 1a/1b thing would fail miserably. And I think Kuemps is probably just as good.
Don't even bother.

He's a huge Backstrom fan after all.
Well, that means nothing at all. So nice try.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
If we're trying to transition to Kuemper does it make sense to pay Backstrom 4M too play him in 50 games ?

Should we use that money elsewhere ?

I hope you're not suggesting going into a season with a 23-year-old starter, who's yet to even solidify his position as an NHL back-up. Because that would be... something.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I hope Harding can contribute, but I'll need to see it to believe it. And even if he comes out and looks decent, his medical condition will always be the elephant in the room. With MS, you can be fine one day and the next day you have symptoms flair up again. You never really know what's going to happen.

I know this through personal experience. A good friend of mine from the Marine Corps came down with it while we were room mates...and the father of another friend of mine passed away due to MS a few years ago, but I watched him battle that disease for about 20 years.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I wish Josh the best, but I would put him on the LTIR and call it a day. We don't need to buy him out in order to take his salary off the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia