Nikita Zaitsev

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
How is Zaitsev regarded in Leafland?

Wouldn't mind having him in Vancouver, so I was just wondering what the dedicated invested fanbase thought of his performance/value to the team? Is he worth his caphit? Strengths/weaknesses?

Whatever you think, feel free to reply!
Most LeaFlanders want to rid the team of him, he went through a lot of upheavals last year with injuries, a new baby in the house, another kid under the age of two. He didn't look anything like his rookie season when he was regarded as one of the teams steadiest guys, last year was tough on him and of course as is the custom LeaFland unleashed their collective disgust on him

That opinion is still holding on though I'm afraid, even though his game is on the rise, he's a trusted PK and protect the lead kind of D and has some offense. There is no panic in his game.

Unless something a whole lot better comes along, or it's absolutely necessary to relieve cap pressure, I see no real upside in moving him. He reminds me of Hjalmarsson when he was in Chicago's 2nd pair during the glory days. Lots of similarities

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
It depends on who you ask. Mike Babcock loves him, while the analytics community hates him. His shot suppression is about as bad as Polak's but Babs says their internal stats show he breaks the cycle. The thing with him and when he's actually skating the dude looks good. I don't know if it's the coaching staff or his own confidence, but he handles the puck like a hot potato recently

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It depends on who you ask. Mike Babcock loves him, while the analytics community hates him. His shot suppression is about as bad as Polak's but Babs says their internal stats show he breaks the cycle. The thing with him and when he's actually skating the dude looks good. I don't know if it's the coaching staff or his own confidence, but he handles the puck like a hot potato recently
If your looking at his advanced stats this year you really would need to consider how much he is being played in the defensive zone by Babcock especially relative to the other 2 pairings.

Some very crazy usage where Gardiner is being used on the defensive/shutdown pairing to an extreme amount. I think we will see the zone deployment change as Hainsey gets up to speed

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
But he's also still young and could potentially get better and be worth it. It's a risk that was taken.

He’s not that young, he’s 26 which is generally the middle of a guy’s prime

Personally I wish we hadn’t taken the risk. Hopefully he’ll prove my doubts wrong.

Reactions: Kiwi

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It was a bit of a risky signing after playing one year
Babcock seems to love him

He definitely does, and I do get that he does some things well, like disrupt the cycle.

What’s questionable is whether those positives justify locking him up for 7 years and I don’t think there’s an easy answer to that

Edit: typo

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
He definitely does, and I do get that he does some things well, like disrupt the cycle.

What’s questionable is whether those approves justify locking him up for 7 years and I don’t think there’s an easy answer to that

They saw potential to be a solid d-man and took a risk. But you can’t have Gardiner and Z making 10 mill +
I’m not sure what to think of the deal yet

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I gotta say, there's a lot of unwarranted praise here for Zaitsev. To my eyes, he's not "steady".

Makes poor choices under pressure, doesn't have the greatest puck control to begin with and he cannot hit the net with his shot if his life depended on it.

On the plus side, he works every game and can skate just fine.

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018
I'm amazed that Leafs have 14 points in 10 games if I were to believe so many postings by fans on this site.
Hainsey, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Marincin seemingly shouldn't be in the NHL. Apparently just Reilly and Dermot are NHL competent.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I gotta say, there's a lot of unwarranted praise here for Zaitsev. To my eyes, he's not "steady".

Makes poor choices under pressure, doesn't have the greatest puck control to begin with and he cannot hit the net with his shot if his life depended on it.

On the plus side, he works every game and can skate just fine.

I was going to say exactly this. Zaitsev has an unsteady and flimsy look to him, like he doesn't have the physical presence to withstand a heavy forecheck, nor the mental fortitude to make the most correct play under duress. He was compared to Anton Stralman as a guy we gave up on too early, but Stralman always had a ton of smarts and evolved into one of those "midfielder" generals who could kind of handle the puck calmly in all situations. With Zaitsev it looks like he's playing scared and the puck might be a water balloon.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
If your looking at his advanced stats this year you really would need to consider how much he is being played in the defensive zone by Babcock especially relative to the other 2 pairings.

Some very crazy usage where Gardiner is being used on the defensive/shutdown pairing to an extreme amount. I think we will see the zone deployment change as Hainsey gets up to speed
Exactly!

What we hear about advanced stats regarding Zaitsev is totally bizarre and that is why Babcock will not use it. Forget about the advanced stats, we as normal human beings will use things that only makes sense. Zaitsev advanced stats make no sense.

Exactly like you said, he always starts in the defensive zone. It is like people forget what a hockey game is like.

If Zaitsev starts in the defensive zone, and the Leafs center loses the draw, half of that possession stat is negative. Then the cycle starts which makes it even more negative. That is all on Zaitsev apparently according the advanced stat.

If the Leafs center wins the draw in the defensive, then how many times do the Leafs just chip it out? Half the time? A quarter of the time? That affects the stat. What also affects the stat, like yesterday, because last night Zaitsev virtually played the entire final four minutes of the game where the Leafs protecting the two goal lead all they did was dump it out, which makes Zaitsev advanced stat even worst.

The way hockey is, that if Zaitsev is always playing with the faceoff in the Leafs zone and playing with the goalie out, his advanced stat should be bad.

Therefore, Zaitsev can "suck my Babcock" as the sign said last night.

We sit around waiting for those guys to make the right adjustments, to reflect these nuances in the data. But that really is expecting too much it is becoming more apparent.

Lastly, I really doubt Babcock has his own version of advanced stats. He probably just has nothing to do with it. With Zaitsev example, can we blame him.

:deadhorse

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I really don’t understand the hate or dislike on Zai, Jake and Hyman.
They are who they are, Zai is mid pairing Dman getting paid Mid pairing money. Say all you want about the term but I will bet that if he is on the trade market, every teams in the league will be calling with good offer. For all the talks about Hamilton, I would rather have Zai with his deal than Hamilton and his deal.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Who on this board wants to go into a corner with Zaitsev? Anyone? Thanks. Sure maybe worth 3 instead of 4 but man, this guy puts on a beating behind the net.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Exactly!

What we hear about advanced stats regarding Zaitsev is totally bizarre and that is why Babcock will not use it. Forget about the advanced stats, we as normal human beings will use things that only makes sense. Zaitsev advanced stats make no sense.

Exactly like you said, he always starts in the defensive zone. It is like people forget what a hockey game is like.

If Zaitsev starts in the defensive zone, and the Leafs center loses the draw, half of that possession stat is negative. Then the cycle starts which makes it even more negative. That is all on Zaitsev apparently according the advanced stat.

If the Leafs center wins the draw in the defensive, then how many times do the Leafs just chip it out? Half the time? A quarter of the time? That affects the stat. What also affects the stat, like yesterday, because last night Zaitsev virtually played the entire final four minutes of the game where the Leafs protecting the two goal lead all they did was dump it out, which makes Zaitsev advanced stat even worst.

The way hockey is, that if Zaitsev is always playing with the faceoff in the Leafs zone and playing with the goalie out, his advanced stat should be bad.

Therefore, Zaitsev can "suck my Babcock" as the sign said last night.

We sit around waiting for those guys to make the right adjustments, to reflect these nuances in the data. But that really is expecting too much it is becoming more apparent.

Lastly, I really doubt Babcock has his own version of advanced stats. He probably just has nothing to do with it. With Zaitsev example, can we blame him.

:deadhorse
Exactly it is plain probability. If your starting a ton of zone starts in the offensive zone your relative probability of a shot for vs a shot against is very high especially when compared with a start in the defensive zone.

Context is key and I agree I dont think Babcock is looking at advaned stats much lol. Old dogs dont learn new tricks

Reactions: Polaris1010

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Why are people hung up on his contract?

He is easily a top 4 D and he is making mid pair D money.

In terms of caphit, length and age comparable:
Dumolin
Orlov
Ekholm
DeKeyser

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I like Z, but the contract is bad. It is not the dollars even ...its the term everyone hates. 32 year old Zaitsev at 4.5 million is going to take a prospect or second round pick just so a team will take him.

LL sucks Babcock.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Ekholm is the only one clearly better, and he plays on the most defensively sound team in the league and just recently broke out into the D he is a few years into that contract.
Orlov and Dumoulin are both way better. i'd be over the moon if we could move Zaitsev for one of them

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Since 2016, the most Giveaways by a Vancouver Canuck until (The time Zaitsev has been in the league) to today is 100. Zaitsev has had 143 in that time frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad