Value of: Nikita Zadorov

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Habs need a large offer which still might be rejected by the AVs. Only 23 years old and month younger as Domi and Drouin with nearly the same amount of NHL games. I suggest the following:

Poehling + Suzuki

Zadorov has 1D potential. Size, skating, defense, passing and nastiness. Prone to mental lapses which leads him to the occasional game scratches. However, DMan have the toughest position to learn. So the offer would be very high.

So a potential number 1 centre (likely 2c/ 1rw) and a future middle 6 centre for a 23 year old future top 4?

Yeah okay, no.

Just no.

No.

Zadorov for Poehling is fair value.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
There is no reason to suggest that he will get moved. Doing so would just leave them with another hole for them to fill as they don't have a replacement for him. This isn't like with Barrie where they will just slot in Makar once he is gone.

I'm not saying to not gauge interest from 13 people from other teams saying "they aren't sure there team would be willing to give up XYZ when the package isn't even half of what it would take to get him anyways" but that I wouldn't expect anything to come from it.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Looked good in the game last night. Would love to have him.

Wasn't he "available" just a couple weeks ago?

No it was just media members thinking "out loud" and trying to fill air time that doesn't involve Nylander. There was no basis for it at all.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Habs need a large offer which still might be rejected by the AVs. Only 23 years old and month younger as Domi and Drouin with nearly the same amount of NHL games. I suggest the following:

Poehling + Suzuki

Zadorov has 1D potential. Size, skating, defense, passing and nastiness. Prone to mental lapses which leads him to the occasional game scratches. However, DMan have the toughest position to learn. So the offer would be very high.

No, he really doesn't.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Zadorov has the confidence and abilities that 99% of the defensemen in the NHL don’t. He’s a huge, intimidating presence that can actually move the puck. Defensemen are notorious for taking a while to develop, especially ones of Zadorov’s size and skill. Chara didn’t take off until his 5th season in the NHL (24 years old) and he’s a hall of famer. Zadorov is still only 23 and has shown glimpses of top pairing play. He has simplified his game since his one game scratch and is starting to look like a force out there again. Most Avs fans believe that he’s a key part of our core and we don’t really have anyone in the pipeline to replace him...so why exactly would we move him for anything but an absurd overpay?? Even if he regresses and settles in as a bottom pairing defenseman, he’d be one of the best bottom pairing defensemen in the league and those are still quite valuable and desired AFAIK. I wouldn’t bet against Zadorov though!

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Here’s a post from @Foppberg on the Avs board:

How's Nikita Zadorov these days? He's 'happy' and feeling...

“Well, their skilled guys, they don’t like when they get hit,” Zadorov said. “Malkin, Crosby, Kessel. So that was my goal pretty much was to stay on them so they don’t like to play against me.”
Avalanche alternate captain and defenseman Erik Johnson said Zadorov has regained some of his confidence.
Johnson, who has played in more than 660 career games, said it can be difficult for a young defenseman to learning the nuances of the position at times.

“I think you gotta have some leniency in their development,” Johnson said. “Heck, I don’t think I felt like I really figured it out until I was 24, 25. You gotta have patience with guys like that. He’s so raw and he has such great skating ability. A guy like that, once he gets’s confidence, trusts his skating, trusts his hands and everything starts to fall into place for him."

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Zads completely changes the complexion of the game when he's on the ice. There's been countless number of times where i've seen players simply chip the puck in and give the Avs the puck back, simply because Z has a good angle to crush them even if that isn't his intention. He had a rough start, but even then his game still showed improvements in some areas. He doesn't take himself out of the play anymore to make a huge hit, he'll just wait for the opportunity to arise.

There's just zero reason to trade him. Our biggest need is filling a #2C, but we have plenty of other assets to make it work if Sakic wants to try and fill the hole earlier.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I’d have offered Carter for Zadorov, but suddenly not sure that’ll fly after some skimming.

Would LA need to offer up a LD as well and expand the deal?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I’d have offered Carter for Zadorov, but suddenly not sure that’ll fly after some skimming.

Would LA need to offer up a LD as well and expand the deal?

I don't think there's a deal to be made. Looking at what LA could realistically offer, I don't see anything that really jumps out to me as being something that we need anywhere near as much as we need Zadorov to continue to develop and become a fixture in the top 4 for years to come.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Zadorov isn't someone you trade at his current value. You either pay for his perceived value or you move on.

Avs need to be patient and let him hit the 400 game market to see what they have in him. He's a highly skilled, physical and mobile defender with the potential to be on the top pairing in the future. He's been tasked through his development in the NHL to become stronger defensive presence, but he has the natural ability to also contribute offensively if given opportunity.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Looked good in the game last night. Would love to have him.

Wasn't he "available" just a couple weeks ago?

He was "available" in the sense that some people overreacted to his low ice time and a healthy scratch after he took some boneheaded penalties. Bednar, like every coach on earth, can be hard on young players and Zadorov has had moments of inconsistency.

Zadorov got back into the lineup, has played really well, and has now stepped up in the absence of the Avs' best defenseman. So there's no need whatsoever to trade him.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
:laugh:

If Poehling is a potential 1C Zadorov is absolutely a potential Top pairing Defender. Love the bias.

I think he was referencing to Suzuki as a potential first line C/RW(I see him more as a potential 1st line RW or 2nd line C) and Poehling as a middle 6 Center...

I see the tools with Zadorov and I'm sure he can be a good contributor (aka top 4), but I really don't see the num 1 D upside tbh.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
We're not gonna sell semi-low on Zadorov

Honestly I don't want to trade him at all. He's a very unique player and person and I think the Avs are better off keeping him around and seeing what he might turn into (he's flashed some real wow-type stuff at the NHL level)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
So a potential number 1 centre (likely 2c/ 1rw) and a future middle 6 centre for a 23 year old future top 4?

Yeah okay, no.

Just no.

No.

Zadorov for Poehling is fair value.

To be impartial to personal opinions, I used the Habs own fansite on the value of their players. Considering the Farm system is fairly weak these supposedly blue chip players should be ranked high.

• Poehling. #8 Prospect. "With his ceiling seemingly set at being a third-line centre, though with a floor not considerably lower, I regarded Poehling as a safe pick for a team full of similar players, in a time when what the organization really needed was skilled offensive players to go along with the more balanced options that existed throughout the NHL lineup."
  • Suzuki. #2 Prospect. "I think Suzuki has more offensive tools than Ryan Poehling and has a better chance of becoming an offensively impactful forward playing in the top six of an NHL team, even if the latter is a better two-way player and a more sure-fire centre at the top level."
An unbiased opinion from a HABs fansite supports our belief the potentials are: 3rd - Poehling and 2nd - Suzuki.

So not sure if together they're even worth a definite Top 4 DMan, with 1D potential.

2018 Montreal Canadiens Top 25 Under 25: #7 Ryan Poehling

Nick Suzuki is one of the top prospects in a strengthening Montreal Canadiens system

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
There are definitely question marks about Poehling's offensive upside, but there's no way I'd deal him for Emelin Jr.

Hey look, Dr. Quincy is taking a dump on another Avs player again!! I'm shocked! Do you have an actual job or is this pretty much it? :laugh:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hey look, Dr. Quincy is taking a dump on another Avs player again!! I'm shocked! Do you have an actual job or is this pretty much it? :laugh:

Zadorov is very similar in quality and type to Emelin. If you had an actual defense of your player try using it instead of the woe is me ad hominem.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
:laugh:

If Poehling is a potential 1C Zadorov is absolutely a potential Top pairing Defender. Love the bias.
No, I think he's saying Suzuki is the potential #1 and Poehling is the potential middle 6.

I don't think Suzuki is a potential #1 C either (or maybe even a C in the NHL), but I think he does have a higher offensive upside than Poehling. I like Poehling a lot, but if things work out to their absolute best, he's a #2, and most likely a really good #3.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
To be impartial to personal opinions, I used the Habs own fansite on the value of their players. Considering the Farm system is fairly weak these supposedly blue chip players should be ranked high.

• Poehling. #8 Prospect. "With his ceiling seemingly set at being a third-line centre, though with a floor not considerably lower, I regarded Poehling as a safe pick for a team full of similar players, in a time when what the organization really needed was skilled offensive players to go along with the more balanced options that existed throughout the NHL lineup."
  • Suzuki. #2 Prospect. "I think Suzuki has more offensive tools than Ryan Poehling and has a better chance of becoming an offensively impactful forward playing in the top six of an NHL team, even if the latter is a better two-way player and a more sure-fire centre at the top level."
An unbiased opinion from a HABs fansite supports our belief the potentials are: 3rd - Poehling and 2nd - Suzuki.

So not sure if together they're even worth a definite Top 4 DMan, with 1D potential.

2018 Montreal Canadiens Top 25 Under 25: #7 Ryan Poehling

Nick Suzuki is one of the top prospects in a strengthening Montreal Canadiens system

Zadorov doesn't have #1 potential. 17 pts a season, w/ poor metrics, and questionable decision making isn't #1 potential.

He's physical, he's big and he's mobile. That has real value. But no "unbiased opinion" would ever say he's a #1 potential guy and even saying he's a potential #2 is a pretty large stretch.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Zadorov is very similar in quality and type to Emelin. If you had an actual defense of your player try using it instead of the woe is me ad hominem.

Lol I'm not going to waste a 'defense of my player' on the likes of you because I know all too well it will fall on deaf ears.

Every single chance you get to demean an Avalanche player you absolutely help yourself and don't even try to deny it. It's been going on for YEARS.

Saying Zadorov is anywhere close to Yemelin level in terms of talent is a joke and you just don't know what you're talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00