Confirmed with Link: Nikita Novikov signs 3-year ELC

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A couple questions about Nikita Novikov and his fellow Russians, if you please.

Does anyone think the signing of NN is an indication that Ryan Johnson has told the Sabres he plans to run out the clock? I see it that way. Talk me out of it. I want both of them.

No idea. They have no one on an ELC who is waiver exempt for the farm team right now with the graduations of Power and Samuelsson to the big club. I doubt they are just signing one guy. They need more - be it Johnson or others - to give them some cushion so they aren't pinched by potential waiver rules.

I did not read the recent 'Athletic' articles about the Sabres, and how they have taken steps to help the Russian players better adapt to North America (and NA hockey). May I request someone to fill me in?

It's mostly about Kisakov's journey to get to camp, then how he and Komarov (who had been drafted out of the Q) had Lyubushkin to greet them both at camp. It doesn't even touch on Novikov and Kisakov both coming out of Moscow Dynamo's MHL team, or being U18 teammates or being U18 teammates with Poltapov. But, it does dig into his breaking trail and how much work he's putting in and how they are trying to work him into the lineup around spending more time in the gym because he is so rail thin.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
A couple questions about Nikita Novikov and his fellow Russians, if you please.

Does anyone think the signing of NN is an indication that Ryan Johnson has told the Sabres he plans to run out the clock? I see it that way. Talk me out of it. I want both of them.
No. The Sabres would have signed both if they could. The Sabres organizational defensive depth isn't very deep. No where near the point where one signing would preclude the other.

I'm also convinced (no proof though) that the Sabres have known for a while that Johnson wasn't going to sign. The timing is coincidental. Novikov's (and other Russians) KHL contracts recently expired, so this is when they were going to sign NHL contracts.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Nikita could have easily signed a new contract with Dynamo and continued to play in the KHL, but he decided to try his hand at North America. As he said, this is his dream. Also, I think what Adams and Karmanos have done over the past few years also has an impact. Young players see that this is no longer the same Buffalo, that young players are developing, they are being worked with and given time to adapt.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Looks like He got married! Saw it on his instagram story but I am such a pigeon idk how to post it on here. Maybe @Dingo44 can help me out?

Looks like he did! Congrats to him and his bride!

Screenshot_20230530_105509_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230530_105513_Instagram.jpg

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I mean, Novikov played 60+ KHL games as a 19-y/o, even if it averaged to ~11 TOI, so he's one of the more experienced present at camp against higher competition.
For some reason, I feel like he's generally over looked. I think he'll be a Sabre for a long time. Maybe it's just lack of exposure to the general public but that should change soon.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I'm relatively high on Novikov, but from my viewing yesterday I saw a guy that's going to need to crank up the speed/agility significantly. Puck skills were of the "defensive defenseman" variety, shall we say.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'm relatively high on Novikov, but from my viewing yesterday I saw a guy that's going to need to crank up the speed/agility significantly. Puck skills were of the "defensive defenseman" variety, shall we say.
That's kind of how he projects to me. Not a ton of offensive upside but he'll jump into the slot from time to time. Decent first pass and skating with the obvious big frame and some physicality.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Kid is exactly what we need in the pipeline. Even if he projects as a 3rd pairing shutdown guy, I'll take that over a Bryson. Does he play both sides?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad