Confirmed with Link: Nikita Nesterov suspended two games for hit on Curtis McKenzie

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well we should win the next two easily now that Sustr gets to play instead of this mad man.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I think it's a fair suspension. Just very unfortunate for both teams. Nesterov didn't mean to hurt McKenzie but he's still responsible for what he did and unfortunately McKenzie was hurt pretty badly. We still don't know how bad it is or how it might affect his future career. I'm not in the "punish the results, not the action" crowd. I look at this as more of an example of how badly hits like this can go so all of them should be taken seriously even if there's no injury. And I'm confident that Nesterov won't be doing something like this again. I just hope that Cooper will put him back in once the suspension is over.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Honestly as a hockey fan, I wish he got more. That's a really dangerous hit, even if it wasn't malicious.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You never have to worry about Sustr getting suspended for something like this, guys a classy player who wouldn't try to hurt anybody. That's why he refuses to throw a check.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
You never have to worry about Sustr getting suspended for something like this, guys a classy player who wouldn't try to hurt anybody. That's why he refuses to throw a check.

Very generous, too, always giving free hockey pucks to anyone he meets.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Just seeing that hit for the first time. I mean, yeah it's boarding, but that was a 2 game suspension for someone with no history? Definitely suspending the injury, not the hit.

Too bad Nesterov doesn't play in Manhattan. Kreider has injured like 4 players in 2 years on suspect hits and I don't think he's even gotten a hearing.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Honestly as a hockey fan, I wish he got more. That's a really dangerous hit, even if it wasn't malicious.

He got off light for a first offence, with no reputation for anything resembling this, probably. Although I definitely get what you mean. It's more about the message to the rest of the league. But I think the league shocked a lot of people with the Torres suspension, and now they've got some precedent to really go after repeat offenders, which will maybe help out first-timers a bit.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

He got exactly what he deserved. It was a bad hit from a guy and needed a punishment attached, but there isn't any need to go all draconian. It wasn't intentional, and Nesterov being suspended doesn't provide any sort of lesson to the rest of the league other than if you aren't a star (or star in the making) don't make questionable hits. Hopefully it does teach him a lesson however, he needs to not do that.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Not undeserved, hopefully he learned from this.

I don’t know if it was to send a message though to the whole NHL, the hope now is that Nesterov have learned something and especially that McKenzie will make a full and speedy recovery.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

def worst of the two hits i really thought nestea would get nothing it was a bang bang play and move i didnt think myself it was horrendous as obviously some others think i figured worst case he would get 2 days for it and its what he got but if it had only been the 5 minutes that was called i thought that was fair

honestly guy got hurt is why nestea got the 2 days imho

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
def worst of the two hits i really thought nestea would get nothing it was a bang bang play and move i didnt think myself it was horrendous as obviously some others think i figured worst case he would get 2 days for it and its what he got but if it had only been the 5 minutes that was called i thought that was fair

honestly guy got hurt is why nestea got the 2 days imho

I wouldn't call it far worse and I might think Nesterov's is worse since the player is turning to go up ice (no real chance to protect himself). Oduya is standing still with the puck. McDavid's is just stupid since he could have easily attempted to play the puck instead.

Both should be penalties. Both could/should be suspensions.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
An update for anyone wondering. McKenzie will be out for about 2-3 weeks with some sort of hip thing but it looks like there won't be any long-term problems. Took awhile to get tests because of swelling but it seems like everything underneath is okay. Good news for everyone including Nesterov who I'm sure is glad that his momentary lapse in judgement didn't cause a really serious injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad