Nikita Kucherov is the clear favorite for the Art Ross Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't think you people understand how utterly ridiculous this is for a winger to be keeping up with centers like this and is driving basically all the scoring for his team. Kucherov has an outside chance to eclipse Jagr as the GOAT wing by the time his career is over and won't even need the stats to do it.

/rant

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I don't think you people understand how utterly ridiculous this is for a winger to be keeping up with centers like this and is driving basically all the scoring for his team. Kucherov has an outside chance to eclipse Jagr as the GOAT wing by the time his career is over and won't even need the stats to do it.

/rant
Lafleur and Jagr and Howe say hold my beer

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

/rant
He's definitely one of the all time greats but there's some really good wingers to have played the game. If he can maintain this for another 4-5 years I can see an argument, as much as I cant stand the guy he's an absolute wizard with the puck. Playmaking, shooting, handles he does it all. I wouldn't put him above Jagr or Ovechkin but I wouldn't argue against anyone saying he's up there.

Reactions: Faceboner

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He's definitely one of the all time greats but there's some really good wingers to have played the game. If he can maintain this for another 4-5 years I can see an argument, as much as I cant stand the guy he's an absolute wizard with the puck. Playmaking, shooting, handles he does it all. I wouldn't put him above Jagr or Ovechkin but I wouldn't argue against anyone saying he's up there.
You guys obviously never watched Lafleur Or Howe

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Im a 90s baby so no I haven't. I have seen the odd clip here or there.
Lafleur was the dominant player of the '70s 6 straight 50+ goals and 100 + seasons he played with good Centers never an elite one I used to watch the French Channel he was a player that would lift you out of your seat, so underrated compared to the rest of the greats, he was the fastest to 1000 points till Gretzky came along

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

/rant

The idea that a winger is at a disadvantage in terms of points production has never made any sense. The reason centres typically score more is because they’re usually better players who are the offensive catalyst of their line in terms of puck possession and playmaking. But there’s really no difference between that and a winger who is the main offensive catalyst on his line like a Lafleur, Jagr or a Kane, except the winger has less defensive responsibility

Also, all three are scoring a ridiculous percentage of their team’s points (50% for Kucherov, 48% for McDavid, 46% for MacKinnon). They’re all driving a huge amount of the scoring for their teams.

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

/rant

IMG_1116.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

/rant
I think that centers are at an advantage in terms of winning draws that lead to 1 pass and then a goal or directly to a goal in terms of collecting points. That said, how many times does that happen in a season? They are at a disadvantage in terms of playing a harder position defensively and being less likely to cherry pick because of it. At the end of the day the best offensive players on a team will have the most touches on the puck or at least close to it night in and night out unless they are a shooter that needs to be fed the puck.

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Lafleur was the dominant player of the '70s 6 straight 50+ goals and 100 + seasons he played with good Centers never an elite one I used to watch the French Channel he was a player that would lift you out of your seat, so underrated compared to the rest of the greats, he was the fastest to 1000 points till Gretzky came along

Mahovlic, Shutt, Lemaire? These guys were finishing top 5 in scoring some years, unless your definition of an elite center is one who's won the Art Ross, yes, Lafleur did play with elite forwards.

Not to mention having a top 10 D in Robinson.

• Haha
Reactions: blueandgoldguy

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Mahovlic, Shutt, Lemaire? These guys were finishing top 5 in scoring some years, unless your definition of an elite center is one who's won the Art Ross, yes, Lafleur did play with elite forwards.

Not to mention having a top 10 D in Robinson.
Shutt was a winger he was called the garbage man for a reason Mahovolich was a winger till he was put with Lafleur for 2 seasons at center and his production went up 35 points Lemaire was a good center far from elite who's numbers were boosted by Lafleur. Lafleur 1st the player to ever record 6 straight 50 goal Campaigns 1st 6 straight 100-point seasons eclipsing Esposito who did it 5 times with Bobby Orr bringing the puck into the O zone steadily for him , watched all Lafleurs career so underrated . 5 cups 3 Lester Pearsons 3 Art Ross 2 Hart trophies and a Conn Smythe criminally underrated compared to other generational players

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

/rant
Jagr the GOAT winger? Just FYI, Gordie Howe was a winger.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The idea that a winger is at a disadvantage in terms of points production has never made any sense. The reason centres typically score more is because they’re usually better players who are the offensive catalyst of their line in terms of puck possession and playmaking. But there’s really no difference between that and a winger who is the main offensive catalyst on his line like a Lafleur, Jagr or a Kane, except the winger has less defensive responsibility

Also, all three are scoring a ridiculous percentage of their team’s points (50% for Kucherov, 48% for McDavid, 46% for MacKinnon). They’re all driving a huge amount of the scoring for their teams.

Centers have more impact on both ends of the ice, saying there is no difference between winger and center except defensive responsibility is wrong. We wouldn't see so many defensively trash forwards down the middle if that were the case, they'd be playing the wing.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Tbh he's already lost a step to some extent, he doesn't have near as many explosive rushes as he used too. His game is way more predicated around cycling right now and he is having the best defensive season of his career. There's a reason he's among the top of the league in basically every possession stat this year.

I don't think an athlete of his calibre loses a noticeable step at this age without it being something. I agree I do see it but I'm willing to bet it's something to do with his hip flexor or another nagging injury.

I've seen one of the networks post a stat regarding speed bursts over a certain MPH/KM and Nate has double of McDavid. Curious if this was tracked last year

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
I don't think an athlete of his calibre loses a noticeable step at this age without it being something. I agree I do see it but I'm willing to bet it's something to do with his hip flexor or another nagging injury.

I've seen one of the networks post a stat regarding speed bursts over a certain MPH/KM and Nate has double of McDavid. Curious if this was tracked last year
I remember seeing it on Instagram and McDavid was actually #1 ahead of MacKinnon in 22-23 with a large gap between the #2 and #3. He clearly is not peak form physically, a lot of his goalscoring comes off explosive rushes and it's been notably less frequent than in many other years.

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Shutt was a winger he was called the garbage man for a reason Mahovolich was a winger till he was put with Lafleur for 2 seasons at center and his production went up 35 points Lemaire was a good center far from elite who's numbers were boosted by Lafleur. Lafleur 1st the player to ever record 6 straight 50 goal Campaigns 1st 6 straight 100-point seasons eclipsing Esposito who did it 5 times with Bobby Orr bringing the puck into the O zone steadily for him , watched all Lafleurs career so underrated . 5 cups 3 Lester Pearsons 3 Art Ross 2 Hart trophies and a Conn Smythe criminally underrated compared to other generational players
The older, Frank was a winger. The younger, Pete was a center. Lemaire finished top 5 and top 10 in scoring before ever playing with Lafleur. Lemaire also lead playoff scoring in one of those cup wins. Both Mahovlic and Lemaire were top 10 centers during the 70's.

Lafleur was the best forward of his generation, no doubt. Lafleur also played on arguably the greatest team ever, from top to bottom. That team had 3 legit #1 defenseman.

Reactions: Plural

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
I remember seeing it on Instagram and McDavid was actually #1 ahead of MacKinnon in 22-23 with a large gap between the #2 and #3. He clearly is not peak form physically, a lot of his goalscoring comes off explosive rushes and it's been notably less frequent than in many other years.

I think he knows the next few seasons are very important for his and the Oilers chances to win a Cup, and I think he is playing it a bit safe because of that.

His explosive dashes past the defence where he drives to the net are quite risky. He did it a couple of games ago and sort of crashed awkwardly into the crease. I predict we will see him attempt those sort of plays in the playoffs, especially if the Oilers are losing games in the 3rd period.

Reactions: olli

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
The Art Ross race is so close that I think it will mean nothing for who is winning the Hart this season. I think Mackinnon will win the Hart and it will be deserved. I think an argument can be made for McDavid as well. The Oilers looked like they were knocked the hell out to start the season and he helped pick that team off the mat to become one of the best teams in the league for the past 60 games. Some strong candidates.
If it somehow doesn't go to McKinnon, McDavid would be a worthy Hart winner as well.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

/rant
Ovechkin and Howe?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
A lot of people assume that MacKinnon is great defensively based on the way he plays.
MacKinnon has been overrated as hell up until the last few years. And even then it took the dude a decade playing in the league to finally hit 100 points in a season. And when they won the cup he wasn't even close to the best player. Makar was. He won the Conn Smythe. Without him, the Avs don't win that year and MacKinnon is still stuck in mediocrity. His trophy cabinet only has a cup, lady byng and a calder. That's it. Yes he's having a good season, finally but geez. People act like this guy has been top of the league every season winning tons of awards. He hasn't.

snag

Feb 22, 2014

CBC channel 11 in Edmonton? Where after 10pm it was softcore pron? LoL

Why was French CBC so liberal compared to all the others (even English cbc) anyway?

• Haha
Reactions: zar and VainGretzky

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Fastest wingers to 1000 points

1.Bossy 656
2.Kurri 716
3,Lafleur 720
4,Jagr .802

Kucherov 715 GP 853 points not in the same category
Not that I would put Kucherov near Jagr's level, as Jagr gave dominant performances even when the league was much more lower-scoring, but if he continues what he does this season into the next one, then he will reach 1000 points around the same time as Jagr did. He has another ten games remaining this season which should bring him to around 865 to 870 points after 725 games. That means he would have another 77 games until he reaches Jagr's total, with 130-135 points needed to reach 1000. He'd have to match his career best for that, but it is hardly unthinkable.

Kucherov obviously had the advantage of playing in a much more offensive era than Jagr's prime so it wouldn't really be the same, but still.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad