hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Nikita Gusev: Tampa said I’m an AHL player and they don’t want me

giphy.gif

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Tampa has done well to develop guys in the AHL before making the jump. If you have the skill and the work ethic, you won't be there long. Kucherov did it just fine.

Sounds like Gusev didn't want to pay his dues.

Kucherov played 17 games in the AHL as a 20 year old after playing in the QMJHL the season prior.

Gusev is 26 and has been one of the best players in the KHL for the last 4-5 years.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
They said that he was an AHL player or that they would plan putting him in the AHL at first and make his way up from there?

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Kucherov played 17 games in the AHL as a 20 year old after playing in the QMJHL the season prior.

Gusev is 26 and has been one of the best players in the KHL for the last 4-5 years.
I don't agree with his point but at the time of the trade Gusev had put up only two point per game KHL seasons.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Why would he have to pay his dues when he's the best player in a league better than the AHL?

Uhh... Tampa hasn't had his rights for years now, so he certainly wasn't 26 and the best player in the KHL in the time frame Gusev is talking about here. For all we know Gusev might be basing this off conversations he had with Tampa not long after being drafted.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
yea I don't know how anyone can blame them for trading him. At that moment he didnt fit their short term plan

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Well he literally had to sign an ELC which is a two way contract in the first place, and then cement himself as a legitimate top 9 option (cant see them playing him 4th line minutes) on the most stacked forward core in the league. It's really not crazy that Tampa would want him adjusting to North America in the AHL. There are plenty of great KHL players that dont do well in the NHL.

For the record, I think Gusev will be a good player in the NHL but it's not like Tampa was being egregious with their treatment of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad