Niinimaa out of Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Niinimaa leaves team Finland!!

Niinimaa leaves team Finland of his own willingnes, because he`s not cabable to work with head Coach Raimo Summanen. People chemistry between Niinimaa and Summanen just doesn`t work.

yle text tv (only in finnish)

This is huge, I can`t remeber when was the last time finnish hockey player didn`t want to play in national team because of the coach. Altough there has been a lot of converstion about Summanen`s way to lead national team. It has come from board of finnish hockey federation, but also players have wondered Summanen`s hard demands in practises etc.

Last edited:

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Janne Niinimaa chose to left Team Finland today because of lack of chemistry between him and Team Finland heaf coach Raimo Summanen. Niinimaa won't be in use of Team Finland in the World Cup any further. Niinimaa attended in the team's practice that ended at 1pm local time and left after the practice. Team Finlad spokeperson says Team Finland regrets the incident.

Wow, this was a total schocker! :eek:

I know Niinimaa wasn't our best d-man but imo he was very good one. This was a blow to us but luckily we have few d-men waiting for a chance and this just good be a chance to Pitkänen. How this affects the team spirit is left to be seen. This could also be bad to head coach Summanen. I'm guessing Niinimaa won't play for Finland as long as Summanen remains as the head coach.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Padawan said:
How this affects the team spirit is left to be seen. This could also be bad to head coach Summanen. I'm guessing Niinimaa won't play for Finland as long as Summanen remains as the head coach.

It`s sure that Niinimaa wont play anymore under Summanen coaching. Summanen`s personality isn`t the most pollite and correct, far a way from it. This sure will affect to Summanen`s continuing as head for Finland. Earlier this week there was talking that Summanen will get fired after WC, but those talks were canceled by press. So maybe this accident will put more pressure to fire Summanen.

Mr. Penguin

Aug 30, 2004
Finland
Oh well, not a big loss, but still it's not nice to see him go. Well, maybe now Pitkänen will get a chance to show what he can do. :)

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Shack said:
I hope Summanen takes Pitkänen in and keeps Berg scrathed.
This was a big suprise.

What I have read biggest reason to scrathe Berg in the first place, was that he had lower body injury. Now they say he is okay. So I would assume that Berg will be in the roster, altought I would like to see what Pitkänen can do against Germany.

It will be interesting to see who Summanen will bring to the team after this? Or does he bring anybody? Petteri Nummelin and Antti-Jussi Niemi were alternatives with Niinimaa when Summanen chosed replace man for Karalahti. Situation is pretty complicated cause for example Nummelin may have done any skating this summer cause he wasn`t selected to team. And all in a sudden somebody needs to take a place in a roster, if they are planning to bring someone in.

Eds

Aug 22, 2004
Helsinki
Niinimaa can easily be replaced, but I'm more worried about how this will affect the team spirit. It's been a good tournament for us so far and I hope the rest of the players can pull it together by tomorrow evening and face Germany with full force. I don't like this at all. :shakehead

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
gib said:
This is huge, I can`t remeber when was the last time finnish hockey player didn`t want to play in national team because of the coach.
During the Pentti Matikainen era were the latest this kind of incidents.

I am really sad and surprised because I thought Summanen and Niinimaa were more friends than Summanen with most of the team...

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Korkki said:
I am really sad and surprised because I thought Summanen and Niinimaa were more friends than Summanen with most of the team...

Ehm... from where did you fetch this impression? I had completely different image of their relations, for example little over week ago in an interwiev for local newspaper (Kaleva) Niinimaa told that he at first turned down Summanen´s invitation to join the team after Karalahti´s right to play was denied because he was so angry to not make the team in the first place.

Hockey_God

Mar 11, 2004
Ottawa
first I don't see my favorite player in this tournament, Sami kapenen, and then have to settle for his younger brother, now Janne Niinamaa!, c'mon.. I'm a huge fan of finish hockey players and two of my favorites aren't there anymore. I for one think that the loss of Niinamaa will be felt greatly as he looked very solid back there, adding alittle offensive punch. I'm sure they will get his lost eventually but it isn't going to be a walk in the park from here on end.

PS. anyone know the REAL reason Sami Kapenen isn't there?

Eds

Aug 22, 2004
Helsinki
Sami Kapanen has had a lot of injuries and isn't it top form at the moment. And btw, Niko Kapanen isn't related to Sami at all.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Sami had a LONG season and needs his rest.

Anybody know if they're going to play Pitkanen?

Inhalator

Sep 2, 2004
Tampere, Finland, Europe
I am not sure, but I remember that Summanen and Niinimaa had quite serious fight in Sm- Liiga finals when Summanen was playing with TPS and Niinimaa with Jokerit. So their antipathy could be this old... ?

I also think that Galgarys Ville Nieminen has always had some problems with Summanen. Im quite sure that he is not going to play any games in this tournament.

DJPeikko

Mar 9, 2004
Inhalator said:
I am not sure, but I remember that Summanen and Niinimaa had quite serious fight in Sm- Liiga finals when Summanen was playing with TPS and Niinimaa with Jokerit. So their antipathy could be this old... ?

I also think that Galgarys Ville Nieminen has always had some problems with Summanen. Im quite sure that he is not going to play any games in this tournament.

Well according to Helsingin Sanomat(finnish newspaper), Nieminen is going to replace Antti Laaksonen in the next game(against Germany).

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
Inhalator said:

Exactly why I have questioned him. How can you play Jarkko Ruutu over Nieminen when they are similar defensively, both agitators, and with Nieminen being both a better skater and having WAY better hands? Also Nieminen has been to two Stanley Cup finals, winning once, he knows what it takes to win.

I think Niinimaa is a bigger loss than some are letting on here. remember this is NHL size rinks, not International size. I will give you guys like Salo and Timmonen on an international size, but Niinimaas style is better suited to these rinks and he has proven to be more capable of a higher level of play in this style of game than any other Finnish Dman except Teppo back in his prime (and ok upon further thought a case can be made for Timmonen, but Im not sold on Timmonen over Niinimaa). I dont think Niinimaa can be replaced easily.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
IMO this is no big deal, honestly. I said it before and still do that Janne is in a low point in his career. Being dumped by Oil can't have helped and I think he's still reeling from it. There's been too much talk about his off-ice antics too. He's going to need to get his a** in the gear and he knows it too.

His performance so far in this tournament hasn't been anything much to write home about. He may be able to hold his own on the offensive blue line (not that he's racked up the points tho) but in the own end he's been a nerve-wrecker. His speciality so far have been half-hearted clearance attempts along the boards that always seem to end up in the opposition's hands.

The only reason I would have wanted him on board is insurance, it's not like we have too many passable defencemen in the roster, but if it's come to this, then so be it. It's always better to step out if you don't feel you can give your 100% to the team.
¨
Now if only Berg's so-called "knee injury" wouldn't go through a magical recovery we'd be all right with Pitkanen stepping in. But that must be too much to hope for, I am afraid. As long as Jarkko Ruutu remains out of the rink and in row Q, I will be happy with the lesser of the two evils. :D

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Niinmaa was decent so far. Not bad, but not at his best. Still, losing him is a blow.

If they get a replacement, I can't see them turning to anybody else than Toni Söderholm. Smaller than most, but he makes up for it in feistyness and character. Besides, he woudn't complain about being in the press box or little ice-time. In fact he could provide a nice spark to the team..

What I'm concerned about, is how does the team react to this? If it collapses because of players feeling Summanen messed too much with Niinimaa, then I can see Summanen's reign as coach ending and Jortikka appointed (he should have been head coach in the first place..)

*The official reason for not appointing Jortikka was that he asked for too much $$$, but then they appointed Summanen, Westerlund and Kurri.. 3 men for the job who as a whole make more than Jortikka requested..

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Erm... if Summanen is thought too edgy, outspoken and lacking in people skills, I am not sure Jortikka should be considered an upgrade. Not in those departments, anyway. ;)

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
broman said:
Erm... if Summanen is thought too edgy, outspoken and lacking in people skills, I am not sure Jortikka should be considered an upgrade. Not in those departments, anyway. ;)

Maybe true, but I think Jortikka would get away with it.. this was posted by someone on jatkoaika :

Jos haluaa olla yhtä mulkku ihmisenä kuin Jortikka, niin sitten pitäisi olla edes puoliksi niin menestynyt.

"If you want to be a jerk of a person like Jortikka, then you have to be at least half as successful."

Midas, despite being very similar to Summanen, would have a lot more respect from the players thanks to more championship medals than most hockey players can count to.. Summanen, on the other hand only had 2 SM-Liiga medals, and both needed teams of overwhelming firepower to get them.

Midas has 6. Finland can't afford to experiment with this or that coach, if someone is as qualified for the job as Jortikka is, then we have no choice but to appoint him and see how he does. Unless ofcourse, Kummola can persuade Scotty Bowman to come..

btw, someone said that Aamulehti had reported that there were upto 3 players considering quitting the team.. anybody read this morning's Aamulehti and can verify that?
If there's a player revolt brewing, then Summanen's history even if he wins the world cup.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
broman said:

I don`t agree in here. Jortikka even if he can be somehow jerk, has better skills with people than Summanen. Jortikka can be hard to players, but not too hard. He respect players and what they are doing even if he doesn`t let it show that easily. He doesn`t judge and say bad things about players that much and even if he says I think there is always little humour behind that. Otherwise than Summanen who seems to have no place for humor at all, it`s almoust seems there is no place for laugh if you wanna be his this team. If you laugh it shows to Summanen your not givin 100% of yourself to the ice.

Now Niinimaa says (mtv3) the reason he left was, that he couldn`t stand Summanen`s behavior towards players.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Summanen can be a total psycho sometimes, he appears calm and collected in front of the cameras but when gets to lockerroom he blows his fuse and totally loses it, becoming a raging maniac for the next hour or so. I've heard this from inside sources that his personal skills are close to zero and he's always close to losing it for no apparent reason. Back when he was playing for Ilves he once trashed a lockerroom because of a bad period.

I have lots and lots of respect for Janne, he has always been a 100% teamplayer who has never quit his team so this is a huge shock for me and just confirms what kind of an ******* Summanen can be.

Remember that Summanen has already been criticized by sponsors of the national team for being basicly being a jerk & lacking both communication & personal skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad