TV: Night Court Reboot first look Jan 17th 2023 premier

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Will be interesting if they can bring back the magic of the first few years of the show. And staying with the tradition of the show. Like with the OG show.. they will swap out one actor after the first episode Ana Villafane shot two pilots and placed in NIght Court in the second seed(meaning if both shows got picked up--she her contract for the first one would kick in right away)

Too bad Bull is not back full time.. he reportedly does drop in on one episode

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Wow!

That may have been the worst promo for a show I've ever seen!

Did they include the spring loaded box gag because they thought it was funny, or because there wasn't anything better?

Either way, it's not a good sign

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I was a huge fan of Night Court as a kid.

Too bad Markie Post passed away.

MARKIEPOST-2021-08-08.jpg

Reactions: Behn Wilson

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wow!

That may have been the worst promo for a show I've ever seen!

Did they include the spring loaded box gag because they thought it was funny, or because there wasn't anything better?

Either way, it's not a good sign

It's a call back to the original show.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was a huge fan of Night Court as a kid.

Too bad Markie Post passed away.

MARKIEPOST-2021-08-08.jpg
reportedly when they doing the reboot--they were going to have the new judge be their child with Post making an appearance. But it took 3 years from the time the announced the show till filming the pilot and she had already passed away. As of right now they are saying that she is not the mother--but it could be a misdirect

Reactions: Guardian17

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
reportedly when they doing the reboot--they were going to have the new judge be their child with Post making an appearance. But it took 3 years from the time the announced the show till filming the pilot and she had already passed away. As of right now they are saying that she is not the mother--but it could be a misdirect

Thanks for the info! :thumbu:

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
Crazy part of the laugh track most shows use, date vack to the 1950s. Nearly all the people you hear laughing have been dead for awhile
This comment got me curious about laugh track history and sent me on an interesting deep dive. From the 50's through the 70's, one man, Charlie Douglass, was responsible for almost all canned laughter on tv. He built a device know as the Laff Box that worked like an organ. He kept his work secretive and only is family knew what was in the box. Eventually, a former protege formed a rival company in the late 70's and started taking business away.

In 2010, someone bought a storage locker after the owner didn't pay rent and discovered the one and only laff box and it ended up on the Antiques Roadshow, 1953 Charlie Douglass "Laff Box".

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
It's pretty strange listening to Melissa Rauch speak as herself and in the clips from this show as I am so used to her squeaky Bernadette persona from the Big Bang Theory. For a long time, I always assumed that was actually how she talked in real life.:laugh:

Laroquette's Dan Fielding was the best part of the show. His 4 Emmy wins attest to this. In this day and age will they allow him to maintain his lecherous persona that played a big part in the show's success? Well, I think the likely answer is no, as he is 30 years older so the writers will explain it away as him mellowing out with age.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's pretty strange listening to Melissa Rauch speak as herself and in the clips from this show as I am so used to her squeaky Bernadette persona from the Big Bang Theory. For a long time, I always assumed that was actually how she talked in real life.:laugh:

Laroquette's Dan Fielding was the best part of the show. His 4 Emmy wins attest to this. In this day and age will they allow him to maintain his lecherous persona that played a big part in the show's success? Well, I think the likely answer is no, as he is 30 years older so the writers will explain it away as him mellowing out with age.
I am going to wait to pass judgement. I am sad they are not making her Stone/Sullivan's daughter but I get why they did that. WIth Fielding, his mellowing started in season 6. It is 30 years later, he got married and lost his wife. I have been married twice and marriage is suppose to change you--did change me and that is why I have 2 ex wives. But the preview suggest he loved his wife and I have had friends who lost wives and they were never the same. I think it will be a good test on JL to see if he can pull off the change.

I was somewhat shocked when I found out Richard Moll is 80 years old--I can see why he turned down the thing. Hopefully they do something nice to say what his character did... like become VP of the US or something

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I had low expectations, but felt obligated to check it out.
I thought the premiere was decent. No big laughs for me, but I like the new judge. And there was a nice scene at the end, where Fielding gave her (& her dad Harry) some mutual love and respect..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I had low expectations, but felt obligated to check it out.
I thought the premiere was decent. No big laughs for me, but I like the new judge. And there was a nice scene at the end, where Fielding gave her (& her dad Harry) some mutual love and respect..
Is John Laraquette a full time cast member? He is mid 70’s and figured his character wouldn’t be working anymore? Maybe as a mentor to the new judge or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad