Nielsen shuts Darth up!

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I bet you all thought it couldn't be done!

In the off season, I wanted Nielsen moved for help on defense, because he is not physical, can't win faceoffs, and is not much of scorer.

3 goals in the first six games. And something like a 54% FO percent.

Way to make me look bad, Frans! Keep it up, and make me look as bad as you can. :handclap:

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
He may just live up to a bonafide 2C.

He needs to shoot like that more. Would like to see Nelson - Nielsen - Bailey/Okposo (Butchie may not like the LW/C though)

would like to see Bails up on the top line with JT and Grabs for a few games.

Nielsen has passion for this team, it shows. Hope he continues this kind of play.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

He needs to shoot like that more. Would like to see Nelson - Nielsen - Bailey/Okposo

Nielsen has passion for this team, it shows. Hope he continues this kind of play.

Amen.

And, the jump in his game has raised the play of his linemates too.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I too thought he might be expendable with Nelson coming up.... but hes starting to look like one of our best players....

scott99

May 13, 2005

He needs to shoot like that more. Would like to see Nelson - Nielsen - Bailey/Okposo (Butchie may not like the LW/C though)

ANYTHING has to be better than Okposo on the first line with Tavares (except maybe Pierre Marc Bou****). Please put Bailey there. Don't know why they took Grabner away from Bailey and Nielsen, that has been the Islander's best line all season.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Been talking him up forever. Unfortunately sometimes fans need to see stats before they become believers but the skill has been there from day 1. He's steady, consistent, and because of him I don't list this 2C hole that everyone cries needs to be filled. There are much more pressing concerns and Nielsen can hold down the fort as long as need be in that position. Somebody just said it recently crying about "Garth hasn't gotten us a Winger for JT, and top 2 defenseman, and a 2C." Well whomever that was needs to scratch the last one off their list and cry about the other two.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
It's likely he'll revert to his statistical mean as the season progresses.

We should expect more. Like Grabner, he seems to have gotten a bit more confident and commands his space better, getting into the dirty areas more and more. He has a very quick release and is sneaky creative. This should be his best year production wise.

An important player, he's on both the pp and pk. Saw him throw a nice check tonight, didn't know who it was 'til the jersey turned around and was surprised to see #51.

His shootout skills are in a slump unfortunately:/

He deserves a spot on this team in the future be it the 2C or 3C. Maybe Nelson or Strome grows into the 2C but that doesn't matter...

What does - if we have have players like Nielsen and Moulson on the roster, we can't afford to also have weaker players like Regin and PMB. Half of our forwards are easily pushed around and the D is small (for now).

The top line wingers faltering early had a domino effect. Breaks up the strong dynamic 2nd line of Grabs - Nielsen - Bailey who looked good in the first games. And affects the 3rd line with Moulson there. I see things coming together soon, but they have work to do.

If anyone saw the pregame, Frans was asked about the recent play and he was visibly upset when talking. Like him more every game.

Nielsen is an asset. Eat your wheaties and your spinach Frans, we need you.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
It's likely he'll revert to his statistical mean as the season progresses.

While that is probably somewhat true, I think we are also seeing what he can do with better linemates.

Okposo has been a consistent linemate the past couple of years, but he has gotten off to horrible starts. Grabner has been inconsistent. Bailey didn't move to wing until the end of the 11-12 season. Last season, Bailey was injured early and Okposo didn't play during the lockout. Once those two got into game shape, Nielsen put up good numbers.

I think if you look at the Isles the past few years, they have had streaky play on the wings from Grabner, Okposo, Bailey, but it seems as though those players always play their best with Nielsen. If any of them can play at a high level for the entire year (and I really think Bailey can) that would help Nielsen, a pass-first player, go from a 45 point player to a 55-60 point player.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I always been a big supporter and fan of Nielsen. He's easily one of the best forwards on our team at taking the puck into the offensive zone. He's got hands, good puck control, an underrated wrister, pretty good speed and he's a very good defensive forward.
He makes a lot of plays when out on the ice.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I bet you all thought it couldn't be done!

In the off season, I wanted Nielsen moved for help on defense, because he is not physical, can't win faceoffs, and is not much of scorer.

3 goals in the first six games. And something like a 54% FO percent.

Way to make me look bad, Frans! Keep it up, and make me look as bad as you can. :handclap:

Yeah, but what good is playing well during the actual hockey parts when he can't score in shootouts anymore? :sarcasm:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
While that is probably somewhat true, I think we are also seeing what he can do with better linemates.

Okposo has been a consistent linemate the past couple of years, but he has gotten off to horrible starts. Grabner has been inconsistent. Bailey didn't move to wing until the end of the 11-12 season. Last season, Bailey was injured early and Okposo didn't play during the lockout. Once those two got into game shape, Nielsen put up good numbers.

I think if you look at the Isles the past few years, they have had streaky play on the wings from Grabner, Okposo, Bailey, but it seems as though those players always play their best with Nielsen. If any of them can play at a high level for the entire year (and I really think Bailey can) that would help Nielsen, a pass-first player, go from a 45 point player to a 55-60 point player.

Really, whenever Nielsen has been paired with Bailey, the line has been pretty dynamite. It will/would be interesting to see what they can do if left together for an entire season.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
RDC is one of the last posters on this board you could accuse of just relying on stats and not actually watching players with a critical eye.

Which is why I didn't accuse him of anything. Just pointing out that every year he has been valuable, regardless of what his points were at the end of the year. He's not a guy like Moulson where if he doesn't net 30 he's a waste of space. Wasn't accusing RDC of anything....just adding to his comment.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Frans is to be loved.

When a guy brings the overall attributes he brings, one need not question the few times things don't go well with him, but simply love him further and rest assured that he'll be 'bringing it' again next time.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
So, anybody notice that Bouchard is suddenly looking like a decent player ever since being putting on Frans' line? 2 assists in 2 games and much more involved. Is there anybody that doesn't look good when paired with Nielsen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad