Movies: Nicolas Cage: Hayden Christensen in the Star Wars Prequels Was "Superb."

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Nicolas Cage made a movie with him. While promoting the movie he said nice things about him. Ridiculous the reaction it's getting.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Hayden was fine. The script was garbage.

I think that the fact that Ewan McGregor was rather good and was working from the same scripts disproves the notion that it's all on the quality of the script. The quality of the actor is as important, if not even more so.

Alec Guinness complained about the script for the original Star Wars (also written by Lucas) and the ridiculous lines that he had to speak, yet I can't think of a single cringe-worthy line from him. He managed to figure out how to deliver every line almost as though Shakespeare, himself, had written it.

Nicolas Cage made a movie with him. While promoting the movie he said nice things about him. Ridiculous the reaction it's getting.

Let people have their fun. It's much more entertaining all around this way.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I can certainly agree with many specific points about the script and acting issues with the prequels, but one thing does occur to me:

People always state that Hayden's acting was "wooden" but consider who he is portraying--the guy who becomes Vader. Is Vader vivacious and charismatic? No. He's a brooding, stoic half-machine who rarely speaks unless he needs to threaten or terrify someone. It wasn't fun to watch it on screen, but maybe this is how Hayden felt pre-Vader should be done.

That's the best excuse I can come up with, anyway.:laugh:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
There were moments where Hayden was very good, but mainly that was around the physical parts of the script. The scene where he slaughtered the seperatists was really well done.

His looks and facial expressions were very good.

The problem was that some of the script phrase wise was really clumsy, beyond the sand thing, the Sith deals in absolutes wasn't good. But I think part of the problem was that he didn't have the voice of Vader when he turned. The book was great in its description that when Anakin lost his temper in front of the council and was denied mastership that his voice became deeper and more menacing and oily.

We got so used to Vader with a mask that it was hard to imagine him without, but I expected more menace and vindictiveness.

It would have also been nice to see Anakin offering Obi-Wan a chance to flee and go into hiding, at that point in the duel he didn't have a real reason to hate Obi as much as the rest of the Jedi.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
I liked the part in Attack of the Clones where Natalie Portman is like "You're not all powerful!" and he goes "WELL I SHOULD BE" and throws something that sounds like an empty soda can into the background.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Cage is being a nice guy, and people can't wait to open up on him and Christensen? Like there's not enough in the world to get upset about.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Christensen was dealt a horrible hand by George "The hack" Lucas. You can't turn **** into gold.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I liked the part in Attack of the Clones where Natalie Portman is like "You're not all powerful!" and he goes "WELL I SHOULD BE" and throws something that sounds like an empty soda can into the background.

And when I saw that scene my gf at the time burst out laughing turned to me and said "He totally throws like a girl"

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Christensen was dealt a horrible hand by George "The hack" Lucas. You can't turn **** into gold.

This. I'm hard pressed to think of an actor who can make a George Lucas script sound like something a human being would say to another.

Mind you, I have yet to see any evidence Hayden Christensen can act. At all. In anything.

hocky

Apr 8, 2011
His delivery of the script was also garbage and made it worse

This.

I mean I'll give credit where it's due, he was good at emoting through his facial expressions but his line delivery was horrid. I don't claim to have any acting talent but I legitimately believe that I could deliver some of his lines better than he could and that most people could. There were times where he'd speak and wouldn't sound like a normal human being.

I thought Natalie Portman was equally terrible and she's typically a great actress. Sometimes the script just isn't salvageable.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Christensen was fine

All the actors were fine, it's the writing that was abysmal. Even Portman couldn't pull it off.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I thought Natalie Portman was equally terrible and she's typically a great actress. Sometimes the script just isn't salvageable.

Yeah I agree. As far as that trilogy goes, liam neeson was good, ewan mcgregor was okay, and most of the other actors were bad.

Portman in particular has always struct me as an actor who's as good as the script. She was fantastic in leon and black swan, but awful in star wars and thor.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Blame the writing.

I remember reading Ford made a lot of his lines up for Star Wars, Lucas asked him and Ford said "George, no body talks like this in real life."

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Blame the writing.

I remember reading Ford made a lot of his lines up for Star Wars, Lucas asked him and Ford said "George, no body talks like this in real life."

People telling George when he was wrong was pretty much the biggest difference between the originals and prequels.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Hayden Christensen is a fine actor. He's not amazing, but he's not bad. He was pretty fresh in Star Wars and the dialogue and direction was just awful. I'm not sure a good actor could have really changed that dialogue.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I think Portman is a notch above Christensen, but I believe both of them need the script and direction to be on point. They aren't actors that can salvage a role like Ewan McGregor did as Obi Wan.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I think Portman is a notch above Christensen, but I believe both of them need the script and direction to be on point. They aren't actors that can salvage a role like Ewan McGregor did as Obi Wan.

Eh, I don't think this is fair. Samuel L Jackson is an actor that imbues every bad role he has ever done with charisma and likability, but was terrible and bland in the prequel trilogy. Does he need the script and direction to be on point?

You can't tell actors to deliver the worst, lovey dialogue in existence, in front of a green screen, with AWFUL direction and expect it to come out well.

And I actually agree with the Nostalgia Critic's take on the Hayden Christensen performance. He actually delivers a pretty good physical performance in Sith, it just falls apart when he delivers the dialogue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad