Movies: Nicolas Cage: Hayden Christensen in the Star Wars Prequels Was "Superb."

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I tend to think that George has an easier time writing the villain and the dark side stuff then the light side stuff.

For most of the prequel trilogy, Ian McDarmid chewed up the screen both as the evil Sith Lord and the kindly chancellor

Christopher Lee was also very good in the movies as well.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Clone Wars Anakin is what we should have had in the prequels.

Yes, Hayden's perf wasn't the best, but his character was poorly written.

This. Anakin in the clone wars was extremely likeable and to me salvaged his story arc. Sucks it took a cartoon to make Anakin's story believable but whatever. Better than nothing I guess.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I thought he was bad in Attack of the clones. I thought he was really good in episode 3. I don't know if it was voluntary from him but it seemed to me that he was mimicking the play of the young Anakin actor. That made his character very realistic to me.

Oh and he was amazing in Return of the Jedi.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Eh, I don't think this is fair. Samuel L Jackson is an actor that imbues every bad role he has ever done with charisma and likability, but was terrible and bland in the prequel trilogy. Does he need the script and direction to be on point?

You can't tell actors to deliver the worst, lovey dialogue in existence, in front of a green screen, with AWFUL direction and expect it to come out well.

And I actually agree with the Nostalgia Critic's take on the Hayden Christensen performance. He actually delivers a pretty good physical performance in Sith, it just falls apart when he delivers the dialogue.

Maybe I emphasized my statement in a false manner. I am not saying Christensen or Portman are bad actors, merely that they are like most actors for me: at the mercy of the material and direction they are given.

For the record, I really like Sam Jackson for the reasons you mentioned, but I don't think he is a fantastic actor, not for me personally. In this instance, I think he was fighting a bigger hill than ever: terrible script and a role that essentially requires him to be uncharismatic and cold, two things I don't usually associate with Samuel L. Jackson. :laugh: I would argue he was outright miscast to begin with.

And for the record, I do think Hayden Christensen was actually good casting. Don't know if he has a great performance in him, but physically he looked the part, agreed on that.

On a side note, I think the casting of the main characters has mostly been on point throughout the entire series. I would have preferred Keira Knightley instead of Portman if I am being frank, but that is another matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad