Niclas Bäckström

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
TransportedUpstater said:
Agreed. I think whoever takes Staal needs to be very patient with him though; he has a LONG way to go yet.

Backstrom is a VERY solid player, and he plays at both ends.

It should be noted Backstrom is almost a full year older then Staal(Backstrom born Nov 87 while Staal born Sept 88)

Transported Upstater

Captain Conservative said:
The list I posted doesn't reflect my personal taste. If we end up drafting where we are in the standings right now(4th from bottom), i'd prefer Backstrom if none of Kessel, Johnson or Staal is available.

The thing that needs to be remembered about Staal is that he is pretty much the baby of this draft. His stats should be compared with his brother Erics 2001-2002 OHL stats, not the 2002-2003, because he will be almost a full year younger on draft day than his brother eric was. Also he is a full inch and a half taller right now than his brother. A bigger frame means more development time.

Basically, if Washington drafts Jordan Staal, i'll be doing backflips.

Lets go Blackhawks!!!!

Staal would be a nice pick for Washington as long as they give him plenty of time away from the NHL to mature.

He'd be murder next to Ovenchicken.

Transported Upstater

Legionnaire said:
Yeah, and he's also excelling in a men's league.

I actually think Backstrom is capable of playing in the NHL next year. I do NOT think that is the best place for him, though. Not by a long shot.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
I'm surprised to keep on seeing Backstrom compared to Zetterberg, Alfredsson or other players but not to the only one that clearly came to my mind when i saw him: Peter Forsberg.
I'm talking style wise (the way he carries the puck) but also skills wise.
Obviously that doesn't mean the guy will ever become as good as Forsberg, but actually for me it means that at the moment i can't rule that out either.
And that's enough for me to consider him in a first group together with kessel and Johnson, battling for the top spot. Any day i think of it , i come up with a different order for the top three; probably that's also due to my limited viewings..

while i am ai it, even if it's not the proper thread i will add that i have a following group of three made of Staal, Toews and Frolik.

Transported Upstater

helicecopter said:
I'm surprised to keep on seeing Backstrom compared to Zetterberg, Alfredsson or other players but not to the only one that clearly came to my mind when i saw him: Peter Forsberg.
I'm talking style wise (the way he carries the puck) but also skills wise.
Obviously that doesn't mean the guy will ever become as good as Forsberg, but actually for me it means that at the moment i can't rule that out either.
And that's enough for me to consider him in a first group together with kessel and Johnson, battling for the top spot. Any day i think of it , i come up with a different order for the top three; probably that's also due to my limited viewings..

while i am ai it, even if it's not the proper thread i will add that i have a following group of three made of Staal, Toews and Frolik.

It's because comparisons to Forsberg are recipes for dissapointment.

Forsberg is a completely dominant player when healthy and one of the Top 3 hockey players on Earth right now (when at 100%). Comparing Backstrom to a Stanley Cup champion that has been as good as Forsberg has is simply setting Backstrom up for dissapointment, especially when it's a Swede. Forsberg is a legend in Sweden.

An even more drastic variant would be comparing anyone to Lemieux, Gretzky or Orr. It is a meaningless, stupid comparison because those players were generational talents and among the 5 best hockey players EVER. Ever is a long time.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
TransportedUpstater said:
It's because comparisons to Forsberg are recipes for dissapointment.

Forsberg is a completely dominant player when healthy and one of the Top 3 hockey players on Earth right now (when at 100%). Comparing Backstrom to a Stanley Cup champion that has been as good as Forsberg has is simply setting Backstrom up for dissapointment, especially when it's a Swede. Forsberg is a legend in Sweden.

An even more drastic variant would be comparing anyone to Lemieux, Gretzky or Orr. It is a meaningless, stupid comparison because those players were generational talents and among the 5 best hockey players EVER. Ever is a long time.
Calling things with their names is stupid? I mean, it's probably right that calling him the next Forsberg would not be a good thing for him, but saying he reminds of Forsberg it's far from saying: he WILL BE the next Forsberg.

Also, any supposed next big thing out of Sweden in the next few years will be inevitably compared to Forsberg (value-wise) none the less.

Vic Rattlehead*

Prussian_Blue said:
More than Staal, probably not.

More than Toews, based on what I've seen of Toews in the NCAA tourney, definitely. I wasn't impressed with Toews at all in North Dakota's loss to BC. I was looking at that game as a chance to see if the Blues could possibly draft a one-two punch from North Dakota, with Toews and Oshie, but I wouldn't spend my top five pick on Toews at this point. I realize it's only one game, but that's my take...

P_B

:bow: :blues

Toews is going to be a top five pick. His offensive upside may not be as high as Kessel or Backstrom, but he has the best overall game out of any prospect in the top 10.

Vic Rattlehead*

Seph said:
and the other team to prefer the playmaking PF in the making in Mueller (Boston did just trade away Joe Thornton). Then voila, Backstrom's available at 7th.

Don't be so sure of that. The Bruins scouting has done an amazing job recently, picking up gems such as Toivonen, Bergeron, Stuart, Krejci(leading the QMJHL in playoff scoring) and Karsums who were picked right after each other, etc. If anything, they'll pick who they feel is the best prospect available, instead of basing the pick on a team need.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Style wise Backstrom reminds a lot of Forsberg but so does Zetterberg as well, even more so when he was at that age. But I think it is more fair to compare him to Zetterberg then Forsberg. We dont want to be like the Argentinians who compare every skilled yougsters in football (soccer) with Maradona. There is just no way any one can live up to being the new Maradona the same way as no one can live up to being the new Forsberg, Lemieux or Gretzky as already been said.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
I don´t know but i think this Zetterberg-comparision is a little bit off. Bäckström clearly reminds one of Forsberg much more in playingstyle with his nice set-ups in powerplays with great hands. Better offensive upside than Zetterberg has IMO(yea i know his stats this season). Those flip-passes with Forsberg are identical, His upside-potential is huge, but as a far as Forsberg would be going too far.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
An Ape called Yoko said:
I don´t know but i think this Zetterberg-comparision is a little bit off. Bäckström clearly reminds one of Forsberg much more in playingstyle with his nice set-ups in powerplays with great hands. Better offensive upside than Zetterberg has IMO(yea i know his stats this season). Those flip-passes with Forsberg are identical, His upside-potential is huge, but as a far as Forsberg would be going too far.
Now, this is a post where i recognize the player i saw!
:cheers:

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
An Ape called Yoko said:

I agree, he has Forsberg's vision and passing game. Though he lacks the physical game and he doesn't go to the net as often imo.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
An Ape called Yoko said:

Zetterberg in my opinion is the closest player I've seen similar to Forsberg in terms of style, but this season Z has passed Foppa in one department, and that would be goal scoring, but he still lacks the physical edge and his vision is not on par with Foppa (I don't think any Swedish player is on par with Foppa in that department).

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
johnny_rudeboy said:
We dont want to be like the Argentinians who compare every skilled yougsters in football (soccer) with Maradona.
I seem to recall Robert Nilsson being compared to Forsberg too.

Hawkhead

Jun 5, 2004
Canada
www.kiekko.tk
boredmale said:
As an Islanders fan most likely picking 7th, i hope he falls to us. Personally i rather have him then Staal, but that just my opinion(i put him 4th on my list).

MY guess though is he gets picked top 5.

No way this kid falls to 7

But at 7 you could take Brassard, Little or Frolik who are all very good.

Heres my list

1. Johnson
2. Kessel
3. Toews
4. Backstrom
5. Staal

Staal isnt impressing me at all and you have to admit that the name has a bit to do with his rating. Backstrom and Toews could change, I havent seen much of either.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
I think alot of you guys are forgetting that Backstrom is a late 87, not an 88 like most players in this draft, He is had one more year of developement than most players in this draft including, Staal, Johnson and Toews. I think Backstrom will get picked top 5, but I won't be suprised if he doesn't. Backstrom is the same age as Anze Kopitar, though Backstrom had a slightly better campaign, with 26pts to Kopitar's 20 pts. Backstrom had recieved a ton more icetime, because he was on a very weak team while Kopitar didn't recieve much icetime at all cause he was on a strong team. If you look at there stats in the J20 leagues last season, Backstrom had 34pts in 29 games while, Kopitar had 49pts in 30 games, a big difference.

So I am saying that Backstrom is a little overrated on these boards imo and some people I think are forgetting that he is a year older than a lot of people

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
Don't be so sure of that. The Bruins scouting has done an amazing job recently, picking up gems such as Toivonen, Bergeron, Stuart, Krejci(leading the QMJHL in playoff scoring) and Karsums who were picked right after each other, etc. If anything, they'll pick who they feel is the best prospect available, instead of basing the pick on a team need.
Didn't mean to imply that I was sure of anything, just throwing out possibilities. But even then, if a team doesn't think one is necessarily a better prospect than another, they usually break the tie with team need. Since we don't have access to the Bruins draft board, we have no idea how they view Mueller and Backstrom. I'm just saying, if they took Mueller over Backstrom, I wouldn't be shocked, even if I prefer Backstrom.

Also, I wouldn't be too sure of what the Bruins will do at the draft yourself, at least not until a new GM is named.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
golleafsgo_17 said:
I think alot of you guys are forgetting that Backstrom is a late 87, not an 88 like most players in this draft, He is had one more year of developement than most players in this draft including, Staal, Johnson and Toews. I think Backstrom will get picked top 5, but I won't be suprised if he doesn't. Backstrom is the same age as Anze Kopitar, though Backstrom had a slightly better campaign, with 26pts to Kopitar's 20 pts. Backstrom had recieved a ton more icetime, because he was on a very weak team while Kopitar didn't recieve much icetime at all cause he was on a strong team. If you look at there stats in the J20 leagues last season, Backstrom had 34pts in 29 games while, Kopitar had 49pts in 30 games, a big difference.

So I am saying that Backstrom is a little overrated on these boards imo and some people I think are forgetting that he is a year older than a lot of people
Actually Kopitars team Sodertalje finished 11th (out 12 teams) in the SEL and were bounced from the top league. Koptiar were there no 1 C playing with Zalesak. LA wanted Kopitar to play inthe AHL this year, so he aint far from the NHL.
Backstroms Brynas finished 8th in SEL, and was bounced in the first round of the playoffs so he was the no1 C on a playoff team no swedish 18 year old has been that since Henrik Sedin. Backstrom outplayed Kopitar this year

get your facts straight

AndersEriksson*

golleafsgo_17 said:

Hahaha I know it was already said but boy was this post ever the best of the day? The team that got demoted is a very strong one but the team Bäckström led to the playoffs was a very weak one. Which shows everyone how much better Kopitar is lol.

Nice work. When you study the SEL standings next time make sure you don't have it upside down :biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad