Prospect Info: Niclas Almari | Defenseman | Jokerit U20 → HPK (Liiga) | 5th round, 151st overall

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I really think Riko couldve benefited from the Ahl....i think he's better than what we saw but could've used the minor leagues to get used to the NHL size rinks, and speed. But i guess we will see.
There wasn't glaring holes in Riikola's game they couldn't survive from playing him regularly.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Agree with giving Rikko more AHL time thing.
Yanking him in and out for good stretches didn't help + playing with the likes of the crappy depth alot we had didn't help.
It all culminated in Trotman coming up for that Columbus game(late in the season) where both played in their barn where Trots was comin' in fellin' good about his game from WB and he played better in that game than Riiko did.
Riiko was at the tail end of the being yanked in and out thing+playing with the likes of JJ/Olli/Rig etc.
From then on Sully/Martin preferred Trots over Riiko.

On to Almari, if he can get comfy early in the "A" which i believe he can coming from Liiga, he'll be a good LD anchor for an Addison/Riiko or Prow/Trotman/Wideman(if some of those guys are brought back).
At the moment he's only competing with the Taylor's, Kim's and Birk's.
Wilkes will probably bring in/back at least one vet FA LD.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Agree with giving Rikko more AHL time thing.
Yanking him in and out for good stretches didn't help + playing with the likes of the crappy depth alot we had didn't help.
It all culminated in Trotman coming up for that Columbus game(late in the season) where both played in their barn where Trots was comin' in fellin' good about his game from WB and he played better in that game than Riiko did.
Riiko was at the tail end of the being yanked in and out thing+playing with the likes of JJ/Olli/Rig etc.
From then on Sully/Martin preferred Trots over Riiko.

On to Almari, if he can get comfy early in the "A" which i believe he can coming from Liiga, he'll be a good LD anchor for an Addison/Riiko or Prow/Trotman/Wideman(if some of those guys are brought back).
At the moment he's only competing with the Taylor's, Kim's and Birk's.
Wilkes will probably bring in/back at least one vet FA LD.
Probably Summers, since he can also play RD if needed (and with injuries and call-ups it often is) and seems like captain material for the baby Pens. They’ll probably bring back Trotman too so there’s one lefty veteran and one righty veteran.

Addison goes back to juniors.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Probably Summers, since he can also play RD if needed (and with injuries and call-ups it often is) and seems like captain material for the baby Pens. They’ll probably bring back Trotman too so there’s one lefty veteran and one righty veteran.

Addison goes back to juniors.

Yea i meant when Addison comes.
I know he'll go back next season.
Seider/Broberg/Heinola to Robertson or Harley next season or the one after could be comin' too...
We'll see.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Who were Riko's d partners? I have to believe his troubles had to be a little due to who he played with too right?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Riikola was a mess last year. Like him because he’s free depth and there’s some upside to be a bottom pairing puck-mover, but he was not good.

It was weird. My impression was that he made a lot of plays defensively but got unlucky, I always thought he looked good, but his possession stats suggest he was horrible at getting the puck moving the other way too. He got better than a shot a game in not much time too so he was obviously letting up a LOT of shots. I think he's still worth having an extended look at to see if he can get over the hurdle, but he's not going to get much puck moving support on our bottom pairing.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It was weird. My impression was that he made a lot of plays defensively but got unlucky, I always thought he looked good, but his possession stats suggest he was horrible at getting the puck moving the other way too. He got better than a shot a game in not much time too so he was obviously letting up a LOT of shots. I think he's still worth having an extended look at to see if he can get over the hurdle, but he's not going to get much puck moving support on our bottom pairing.

Yeah, to me he showed flashes but constantly blew his gap and was out of position and just a messy player. Made some plays in both ends but ultimately didn’t provide enough offense or transition play to warrant ice-time. Agree he’s still worth a look though.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Who were Riko's d partners? I have to believe his troubles had to be a little due to who he played with too right?

Here you go:

c922023cce02c1769a9900b29ef6e269.png

Top of the list Olli...
Followed by JJ...

I know with Olli he played his offside.
JJ i forget but i think JJ was still playing his offside during the time they played together.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Here you go:

c922023cce02c1769a9900b29ef6e269.png

Top of the list Olli...
Followed by JJ...

I know with Olli he played his offside.
JJ i forget but i think JJ was still playing his offside during the time they played together.

I believe that is correct.

Personally my thing with Riikola is I think he tried to do too much; it looked great when it worked, but was part of general problems when it didn't. Understanding when to take the simple play would make him a lot better. I also think he'd look better in a more motivated team in general.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Well we all know Olli is the whipping boy on this forum ( not for me) but i really think him starting in the minors would have done him wonders.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Well we all know Olli is the whipping boy on this forum ( not for me) but i really think him starting in the minors would have done him wonders.
The minors would not unlock Olli’s locked hips. He’s a horrible skater, that’s it plain and simple.

Riikola was better than the stats suggests. I hope we see him up full time next season.

Almari... not expecting too much here but I’ve never seen him play so... meh?

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Oddly enough...when paired with the villian of hfboards(Maatta) Rikola looked steady and poised out there. Maybe due to a comfort level with Maatta.

And he also complimented Maatta well with his skating ability.

Reactions: JBose7

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Oddly enough...when paired with the villian of hfboards(Maatta) Rikola looked steady and poised out there. Maybe due to a comfort level with Maatta.

And he also complimented Maatta well with his skating ability.

I definitely thought their time together was the best either looked all season - looking at the stats, that's true of Riikola, but not of Maatta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad