Prospect Info: Nicklas Jensen

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Owning the affiliate does nothing if the prospects aren't insulated with good talent.

I would like to assume the Canucks would spend a lot more effort surrounding the rookies with proper veterans.

If they don't, then they're doing a **** job developing their prospects.

arsmaster*

I would like to assume the Canucks would spend a lot more effort surrounding the rookies with proper veterans.

If they don't, then they're doing a **** job developing their prospects.

Well the coach last year was hired by the Canucks. So I'm not ready to believe for the sake of believing the kids will get all the ice.

I think what we will see, that we didn't wit Arniel, is that ice time will be earned through good play. Crap play (see haydar and Ebbett to a lesser extent) will get you dropped down the lineup and good play will get you moved up. You know. Like a proper team.

Having watched at least 13 Portland games this year, I'm really excited to see how TG handles the bench.

The team is going to attack a lot. Should be fun to watch.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Well the coach last year was hired by the Canucks. So I'm not ready to believe for the sake of believing the kids will get all the ice.

I think what we will see, that we didn't wit Arniel, is that ice time will be earned through good play. Crap play (see haydar and Ebbett to a lesser extent) will get you dropped down the lineup and good play will get you moved up. You know. Like a proper team.

Having watched at least 13 Portland games this year, I'm really excited to see how TG handles the bench.

The team is going to attack a lot. Should be fun to watch.

Didn't like how Arniel handled the lineup decisions last year. While he's hired by the Canucks, is he not under the Wolves payroll and thus, working in the best interest of the Wolves? Please correct me if I'm wrong by the way.

This probably puts him in a tough spot in terms of deciding between prospect development and overall record.

Of course, I thought some decisions weren't that tough anyway seeing how Schroeder was clearly a better player than Ebbett.

arsmaster*

Didn't like how Arniel handled the lineup decisions last year. While he's hired by the Canucks, is he not under the Wolves payroll and thus, working in the best interest of the Wolves? Please correct me if I'm wrong by the way.

This probably puts him in a tough spot in terms of deciding between prospect development and overall record.

Of course, I thought some decisions weren't that tough anyway seeing how Schroeder was clearly a better player than Ebbett.

Can't correct you because I'm not sure who was cutting Arniel's cheque.

In my honest opinion (which is obviously more pro-prospect than pro-Arniel/Wolves) the decisions that were made impacted the team AND the prospects negatively.

Schoreder and Kassian were clearly the better players on the Wolves, yet somehow JS didn't get PK opportunity or 1st line/top PP minutes.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not sure I understand this. Are we demanding Jensen score 30 goals or be PPG? Unless any of us are leaving cryptic notes on his front door saying he must do it or we'll kill his dog, I assume what we are saying is that we EXPECT certain production in order to maintain our optimistic projections. You think we should just be happy and optimistic, no matter how he performs? I don't know about you, but I'll have a hard time being positive and optimistic if he scores 5 goals and gets benched numerous times. So perhaps it isn't the fact that expectations exist at all but the level of expectations that you have a problem with?
Not what I was implying at all. I think pessimism/disappointment is every bit as valid/reasonable/apt as optimism-- while not tooo many posters in this thread are guilty of this, I just feel like as the arguments get more heated, some of it is beginning to degrade into demand and entitled fist-shaking.

I'll be pessimistic and disappointed about Jensen's chances if he doesn't do well in the AHL, and I'll hope for the best, but it doesn't make sense to say that you demand such and such, considering he owes no obligation to you as a fan and it's something completely beyond our control.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'll be pessimistic and disappointed about Jensen's chances if he doesn't do well in the AHL, and I'll hope for the best, but it doesn't make sense to say that you demand such and such, considering he owes no obligation to you as a fan and it's something completely beyond our control.

I don't get this attitude.

It's no different than players on our NHL team.

We all expect the Sedins to be point-per-game players next year. Expect Edler to be improved defensively and earn his contract. Expect Kassian to take a step forward. And so on.

The organization has a lot sunk into a guy like Jensen, and if he's going to be an NHL player, there's a level (and a pretty high one) that he needs to be performing at as he goes along to make that happen. I don't think it's out-of-line to highlight what that level is and call it a reasonable expectation.

May 31, 2006
I don't consider Jensen a very good prospect, so if he has good numbers in the AHL this year I will be pleasantly surprised. There's simply not much to be optimistic about with Jensen.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

Yeah, but management was clearly worried to lose Ebbett to waivers so they just kept sending Schroeder down instead since he didn't have to go thru waivers. The same Ebbett that was so "important" to the club that we just let him walk at the end of the season. That guy. Ugh.

Hope Jensen has a good year in the A, and wins a few call-ups this year. He's got the tools. I believe he can put it together.

Var

Nov 10, 2007

We all expect the Sedins to be point-per-game players next year. Expect Edler to be improved defensively and earn his contract. Expect Kassian to take a step forward. And so on.

The organization has a lot sunk into a guy like Jensen, and if he's going to be an NHL player, there's a level (and a pretty high one) that he needs to be performing at as he goes along to make that happen. I don't think it's out-of-line to highlight what that level is and call it a reasonable expectation.

What's not to get? They don't owe you anything. If you create expectations, that's on nobody else but you. You can pretend he's accountable to you, pretend you're the one paying his cheques, pretend you're his boss - but all that pretending is on you.

All this expecting and whatnot just depends on how much you'd like to take their successes for granted. It's not productive and it sucks the enjoyment out of watching the Canucks find success.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What's not to get? They don't owe you anything. If you create expectations, that's on nobody else but you. You can pretend he's accountable to you, pretend you're the one paying his cheques, pretend you're his boss - but all that pretending is on you.

All this expecting and whatnot just depends on how much you'd like to take their successes for granted. It's not productive and it sucks the enjoyment out of watching the Canucks find success.

Seriously? What a bunch of airy-fairy BS.

I'm not pretending any of those things. But I'm also not pretending this is a pee-wee house league were everyone's a winner if they show up and try.

Jensen is a pretty highly-touted #1 pick. He's on a pretty substantial rookie contract that is paid for by revenue collected by the fans, so yes, we do have every right to have high (or at the very least, reasonable) expectations of him. There is a development curve that he needs to be at if he's going to make the NHL. I don't see how I'm out-of-line to have the reasonable expectation that he'll be following that development curve next season.

Again, am I out of Iine to expect the Sedins to be point-per-game players next year? Or if they score 40 points in first-line minutes and we miss the playoffs, should I just slap on my rose-coloured glasses and a big smile and be happy because I'm enjoying watching them 'try to find success'?

Obviously not all prospects will make it. But if I'm evaluating their play, I'm looking at where they need to be at if they're going to take the step to the next level. Of our top 10 prospects, hopefully 6-7 are succeeding at the level they need to succeed at next season. Being happy about a level of play that dooms a prospect to failure is just ... a bizarre thought pattern to me.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I don't consider Jensen a very good prospect, so if he has good numbers in the AHL this year I will be pleasantly surprised. There's simply not much to be optimistic about with Jensen.

How? His size and shot? He'll be a force on the pp in my opinion, and has 30+ goal potential.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Seriously? What a bunch of airy-fairy BS.

I'm not pretending any of those things. But I'm also not pretending this is a pee-wee house league were everyone's a winner if they show up and try.

Jensen is a pretty highly-touted #1 pick. He's on a pretty substantial rookie contract that is paid for by revenue collected by the fans, so yes, we do have every right to have high (or at the very least, reasonable) expectations of him. There is a development curve that he needs to be at if he's going to make the NHL. I don't see how I'm out-of-line to have the reasonable expectation that he'll be following that development curve next season.

Again, am I out of Iine to expect the Sedins to be point-per-game players next year? Or if they score 40 points in first-line minutes and we miss the playoffs, should I just slap on my rose-coloured glasses and a big smile and be happy because I'm enjoying watching them 'try to find success'?

Obviously not all prospects will make it. But if I'm evaluating their play, I'm looking at where they need to be at if they're going to take the step to the next level. Of our top 10 prospects, hopefully 6-7 are succeeding at the level they need to succeed at next season. Being happy about a level of play that dooms a prospect to failure is just ... a bizarre thought pattern to me.

Oh yes you are - knock it off. Cheer up for god sakes and stop all this complaining. Part of the reason why people get so weird on here is because they have taken so much of the success that the Canucks have had for granted. They take this load of expectation-baggage into every game they watch. They stop being honestly impressed by the Canucks/Sedins/etc that they instead fire up their pity-party at their first opportunity.

Obviously they'll be judged on their performance, but that's entirely different. Judging whether or not a player is playing well doesn't require that you have previous expectations of him - it's based off of how well he plays the game. All of this players-not-meeting-my-expectations is a bunch of "woe is me". Honestly - toughen up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Oh yes you are - knock it off. Cheer up for god sakes and stop all this complaining. Part of the reason why people get so weird on here is because they have taken so much of the success that the Canucks have had for granted. They take this load of expectation-baggage into every game they watch. They stop being honestly impressed by the Canucks/Sedins/etc that they instead fire up their pity-party at their first opportunity.

Obviously they'll be judged on their performance, but that's entirely different. Judging whether or not a player is playing well doesn't require that you have previous expectations of him - it's based off of how well he plays the game. All of this players-not-meeting-my-expectations is a bunch of "woe is me". Honestly - toughen up.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

1) Part of being a fan is being emotionally and financially invested in your team. And of course you have expectations - for the team as a whole, and of individual players, management, and of prospects. I don't know how you expect this to be any different.

2) How exactly have I been 'complaining'? I haven't said a single negative thing about Jensen (or anyone else) in this thread. All I said is that if he's going to be a quality NHL player, he should be expected to excel in the AHL this season.

3) I've been one of the biggest critics here of dumb spoiled fans - stuff like hearing that we 'stunk' during the second half of the 2011-12 season (where we had the best record in the NHL) drives me nuts. But saying that prospects have to excel at lower levels if they hope to make the NHL has absolutely nothing to do with that. It's just fact.

4) You then say they'll be 'judged on performance' ... but any judging of performance is going to be against a baseline - how a player of his age/skillset should be performing at that level at that age. I don't see how that's an iota different from what I'm saying.

May 31, 2006
How was his year in the SEL not something to be optimistic about?

Because he didn't have a great season.

He started off on a decent goal scoring streak but after that fizzled out and was even benched by his team. Finished the year with a bad stint in the AHL.

Jensen just isn't very good... Been saying it since the year after he was drafted.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I actually feel the same way about the players on our NHL team, although to a far lesser degree.

By all means, be skeptical, hopeful, call a spade a spade, and have expectations that you'll be disappointed if they don't hit, but once it veers into demand and fan entitlement, I hate it-- It's easily the thing I hate most about hockey fandom.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC

He started off on a decent goal scoring streak but after that fizzled out and was even benched by his team. Finished the year with a bad stint in the AHL.

Jensen just isn't very good... Been saying it since the year after he was drafted.

17 goals, 23 points and scoring at a nearly 0.5ppg pace in his first year pro on a terrible team is something to be pretty stoked about. His goals scored was IIRC 3rd or so on his team. Plus at the end of last year there were rumblings that he was demoted for reasons other than his on ice play that were beyond his control.

Here's a question about his AHL stint, who on the team was playing well last season? The answer, nobody outside of a few stints here and there. Something was majorly off last season with ice time for our prospects and the fact that the team wasn't getting results. Plus he hadn't had camp with his team mates, came in from a league that plays very differently, and didn't get the best ice time. What did you expect from him coming into that?

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
17 goals, 23 points and scoring at a nearly 0.5ppg pace in his first year pro on a terrible team is something to be pretty stoked about. His goals scored was IIRC 3rd or so on his team. Plus at the end of last year there were rumblings that he was demoted for reasons other than his on ice play that were beyond his control.

Here's a question about his AHL stint, who on the team was playing well last season? The answer, nobody outside of a few stints here and there. Something was majorly off last season with ice time for our prospects and the fact that the team wasn't getting results. Plus he hadn't had camp with his team mates, came in from a league that plays very differently, and didn't get the best ice time. What did you expect from him coming into that?

his stats in the SEL is pretty good for a rookie 19 year old.....there was a list somewhere that have him compare with Naslund, forsberg, Daniel sedin with similar junior/first year stats

In the AHL, a terrible coach so forget that and he probably was not 100%

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

This has to be the most utterly bizarre interpretation of the preceding thread that I've ever seen. How on earth do you get that these posters are saying any of these things - he owes them, accountable to them, his boss, sign his cheques, etc?? They are saying - and it really isn't all that hard to understand - that they EXPECT Jensen to start playing at a certain (higher) level next season in order to satisfy their expectations of him as a future top 6 forward. As a fan that is certainly anyones right to set their expectations of a player. It doesn't mean i think I own him or any of that weird crap, it simply means this is what I need to see in order to sustain my support for him as a prospect or player. How anyone can read this as anything else is mind boggling ...

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I expect Travis Green to turn him into a very good player and hopefully he can be part of the canucks in 2014-2015 season

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

So when he scored six goals in his first eight AHL games you were bashing him as a bad prospect? :sarcasm:

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey

Can you elaborate on how he isnt very good? Good size, great shot, needs seasoning but he has the tools.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad