Nicklas Jensen keeps top spot in Vancouver Canucks mid-season Top 20

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

For the Vancouver Canucks organization, regular season success over the last half-decade has been a dual-edged sword. Winners of multiple President’s Trophies and continually atop the Northwest Division standings, any neutral hockey enthusiast might think it is crazy to label their success a bane. But on two levels, this success has presented challenges that few organizations would covet.

First, the fan base has grown restless with expectations rising each season after dominant regular season campaigns, not to mention coming within one win of a Stanley Cup. 

Secondly, success has dropped the Canucks to the bottom of each round for the entry draft’s order, where fewer and fewer quality players remain.… read more

More...

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
For the Vancouver Canucks organization, regular season success over the last half-decade has been a dual-edged sword. Winners of multiple President’s Trophies and continually atop the Northwest Division standings, any neutral hockey enthusiast might think it is crazy to label their success a bane. But on two levels, this success has presented challenges that few organizations would covet.

First, the fan base has grown restless with expectations rising each season after dominant regular season campaigns, not to mention coming within one win of a Stanley Cup.*

Secondly, success has dropped the Canucks to the bottom of each round for the entry draft’s order, where fewer and fewer quality players remain.… read more

More...

I don't have any big quarrels with this list. With a few players my first reaction was that they should be ranked much lower, but then I looked at the players below them ...

I'd put Schroeder first, since HF still considers him a prospect. It wouldn't be a shock if Lack or Jensen turned out to be better, but Schroeder has shown he can play in the NHL, and, though I'm optimistic, Lack and Jensen may never get there.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Better than usual but I do take an issue with the omission of Ludwig Blomstrand. He certainly cracks our Top 20 right now. His production in the Allsvenskan has been phenomenal for a junior-aged 4th round pick.

His 13 goals in 30 games ranks as a Top 10 GPG rate in the league. He scored 2 goals less than Filip Forsberg in 8 less games and 1 goal more than Pontus Aberg in 22 less games.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Better than usual but I do take an issue with the omission of Ludwig Blomstrand. He certainly cracks our Top 20 right now. His production in the Allsvenskan has been phenomenal for a junior-aged 4th round pick.

But who would you take out of the top twenty? They've all been showing such promise (refuses to use emoticon).

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Corrado is finally getting some respect. :p:

He doesn't have the highest upside, but, excepting Schroeder, he's the one player on the list who would really surprise me if he didn't make it all the way to the NHL.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
He doesn't have the highest upside, but, excepting Schroeder, he's the one player on the list who would really surprise me if he didn't make it all the way to the NHL.

I think he can be a #3 one day. He's as poised as Tanev with more offensive upside and more bite to his game.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I don't like this list. Its good up to #5, then some questionable picks throughout. How is Grenier still securely in the top 10? Rodin as well?

What about Cannata? He has shown extremely well at the AHL level.

Omission of Andersson? That's funny. Or did they think Sauve, Polasek, Tommernes, Price, and Hutton are all better than him?

Also, I think Hutton should be much higher, closer to the top 10 IMO.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
My gut says only Jensen, Gaunce, Corrado, and likely Lack will become regular NHLers from that list. Mallet may have a shot.

As for Jensen, pray like hell that that first impression carries over and he continues to be in AV's good graces and not go the way of Dimitra, Shirokov, Grabner, Hodgson, etc.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's a good list, but I'd probably make a few adjustments.

1) Schroeder should top the list. He's proven to be an NHL player whereas no one else on the list has,

2) I'd probably bump Cannata up a few spots as well as he's looked very good in the AHL.

3) Honzik would not be on the list at all, and should probably be replaced with Blomstrand.

momo

Jun 20, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't like this list. Its good up to #5, then some questionable picks throughout. How is Grenier still securely in the top 10? Rodin as well?

Omission of Andersson? That's funny. Or did they think Sauve, Polasek, Tommernes, Price, and Hutton are all better than him?

I agree with Hutton.

I'd be interested to see what you think the Canucks top 20 should look like feebster. Your opinions are always interesting. :)

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Yeah, let's put a diminutive little centre that can't score at the AHL or NHL level and has been invisible without Raymond at the top of our prospect list. If he is our top prospect we are in serious trouble.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Evan McEneny was signed by the Canucks last year after having his development devastated by injury, and has jumped back into the game on a very strong Kitchener team (who picked up Corrado earlier this year). Considering how he was injured last year, his numbers have been really solid.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=128100

I've asked around about McEneny, and the consensus seems to be that he's a steal as a FA signing.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Yeah, let's put a diminutive little centre that can't score at the AHL or NHL level and has been invisible without Raymond at the top of our prospect list. If he is our top prospect we are in serious trouble.

You realize Galchenyuk has been invisible for stretches with the Habs and no one doubts his ceiling is extraordinary high, yes? Schroeder does not have anywhere near his talent but a few quiet games doesn't mean anything but your typical rookie struggles. People expect too much from kids these days.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
He's short but he's hardly little. Schroeder's got a lot of strength for an undersized center. Points aren't important for him right now, he's playing a very solid rookie season concentrating on the defensive end of his game. The points will eventually come once he grows more comfortable with himself. He's not a defensive liability, he's driving play, putting up chances and doing fairly well on the faceoff dot for a rookie. I'd say that's a rock solid rookie season.

I'm really excited about Gaunce though. Everything about him screams an elite checking line center who can score.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

Good post feebs. Look at how Andersson is playing right now on the Wolves, and somebody tell me how he could be overlooked by the author of that list?

Andersson is at least one of the best D on the Wolves, while still being a very young player. By comparison, where is Sauve playing these days?

With Blomstrand matching the goal output of some hot first-round fellow Swedes, and having size and power to go along with the scoring, he's also a glaring Top 20 miss like Andersson.

Who to drop from the Top 20 then? Honzick, for the time being. He's not showing anything remotely like Andersson or Blomstrand. The Blomstrand drop is tougher, but maybe it's Friesen, again for the time being. Or else it's Sauve, whose NHL ship has apparently sailed and whose trajectory no longer seems upward. Who to drop for Blomstrand is a very debatable point; and the emergence of McEneny just gives me a headache since he's pushing his way into the picture as well. But to have Honzick on the list instead of Andersson is just plain wrong.

Wizeman*

I disagree only with 2 of the players.

even before the season began, I put Schroeder as a better prospect than Jensen. Its close but I really see good stuff out of the little guy.

Secondly, I still believe Yann Sauve to be a solid NHL defense man. I am floored as to how his stock fell so badly. I hope he gets the mental aspect of the game together.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Secondly, I still believe Yann Sauve to be a solid NHL defense man. I am floored as to how his stock fell so badly. I hope he gets the mental aspect of the game together.

He's an average ECHL defenseman at 23 years of age. There's no NHL future with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad