Nick Taylor Wins RBC Canadian Open - First Canadian to do so Since 1954

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Pretty dramatic win and event to be honest. Nick fell back quickly in round one with a string of bogies. But he recovered and slowly climbed back into contention, particularly his 63 on Saturday followed by a strong on Sunday. In a 4th playoff hole Taylor putted in a 72 footer for eagle and the win in front of a massive, elated crowd. Funny, fellow pga player and Canadian (friend of Nick's coming from Abbotsford too), was tackled by a security guard as he rushed the 18th green to spray champagne on the new champ - glad that Adam didn't seem injured afterward.

My personal take, is that I was somewhat astonished by co-leader Fleetwood's misses on hole 18 (a very birdiable - even eagleable - hole, one of the easier holes of the course). This after Fleetwood had been on a heater birdying holes 16 and 17, looking completely dialed in. Him parring the 18th taking the championship to playoff holes might be the first time I had my spider senses tingling that something didn't seem right. An older gentleman that I know says even golf is largely fixed nowadays. This might be the first time I actually sort of thought about it. It was still an amazing finale, but I don't know if Tommy's play on hole 18 will ever sit right in my memory of this event. I hope deals with the devil weren't made on this - don't laugh!

Still, the winning shot, a 72 foot put into the hole was spectacular to behold.

Congratulations Nick Taylor!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad