Nick Suzuki vs 2021 1st overall pick

Would you rather have Nick Suzuki or 2021 1st overall pick moving forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
There are 8 Habs fans out there just absolutely lying to themselves.

You know for an absolute fact that if lets say Detroit wins the 1st overall and then Yzerman is held at gunpoint and forced to trade the pick for Suzuki, those same Habs fans claiming to take Suzuki here would be absolutely loving it

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Bro what the f***. I know you typically have bad takes but jeez.
There are probably 9 guys I would comfortably take over Nick Suzuki. If Suzuki was eligible for this years' draft, he would probably be going in the 10-15 slot.

Beniers
Hughes
Eklund
Lysell
Johnson
Wallstedt
Clarke
Raty
Guenther

The only reason this years' draft class looks like shit is because we haven't had much CHL hockey this year. CHL dominates the first round and often ends up throwing out the most elite talent in every draft class. This draft class is heavily favoured by NCAA/ Euro players since they've played nearly full seasons and thus they are the safe picks, but I can guarantee you there are going to be NHL teams who will get steals later in the first and in the 2nd round onwards because guys who would've otherwise shot up the rankings (previously highly touted but struggled) haven't had a chance to showcase.

Reactions: surixon

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I love when poll's dont go the way the OP expected them to and get super salty lol

Im taking the #1 pick all day long.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Okay, his ceiling is a 60-70 point two-way center. Still doesn't change my post much. He's superior to Yakupov and maybe, if you really want to push things, RNH. Aside from the guys who are too early to tell (Hischier, Hughes, Lafreniere), which 1st overall picks since 2005 is he superior to?

He paced for 48 points last year, he's on pace for 53 points this year. He still hasn't reached the "60" portion of my projection. Yet you're talking about him being an 85 point center.

Do you even realize how few 85 point centers there are in the league?

Yeah but this is only his second season. If you're talking ceiling - saying ceiling as a ppg center is much more fair than ~60-70 point guy. Whether he ends up reaching it or not is another story.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post - i'd still pick the 1st overall pick too. And it's not too early to tell - Laf >> Suzuki, unless the sky comes crashing down somehow.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Is that what I said? Or are you creating a strawman because you're upset I don't think he'll be a 85 point guy?
I don’t typically get upset if a random person doesn’t agree with me on the internet. That’d be pretty weird. Below is the issue with that you’re claiming.

Cool, you're still comparing a guy that's still only pacing for 53 points to a potential elite player that goes 1st overall this year. Even "weak" drafts usually have 1 or 2 guys who pan out as elite at the top of them.
You talk about Suzuki as if he has no room to grow at the age of 21, while only prospects from the draft do. In reality they both do.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah but this is only his second season. If you're talking ceiling - saying ceiling as a ppg center is much more fair than ~60-70 point guy. Whether he ends up reaching it or not is another story.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post - i'd still pick the 1st overall pick too. And it's not too early to tell - Laf >> Suzuki, unless the sky comes crashing down somehow.

Why is saying a guy has point per game ceiling more fair than saying he's got 60-70 point ceiling if the player doesn't have that kind of ceiling? Not all talented players have ceilings of 80+ points. A guy like Jonathan Toews, who was much better at the same age as Suzuki, I believe only ever hit 80 points once.

I don’t typically get upset if a random person doesn’t agree with me on the internet. That’d be pretty weird. Below is the issue with that you’re claiming.

You talk about Suzuki as if he has no room to grow at the age of 21, while only prospects from the draft do. In reality they both do.

Where did I say he's got no room to grow? I even said go ahead and push the projection to the 60-70 point range. He's currently around a 50 point guy, so that projection range sees him increase his totals by almost 20 points.

You're just upset because I don't think he'll put up 85 points, which would essentially make him a top 10 center in hockey.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Habs fan saying 1st OA.
Id take any of the top 15 or more picks over Suzuki of course, this poll has to be a dig at something a Habs fan said?
Why stop there? You should take a 7th round pick over him too.
Suzuki is a 50-60 point two-way center at 21.
Fixed it for you since you clearly have no clue what you are talking about, you are welcome.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Why is saying a guy has point per game ceiling more fair than saying he's got 60-70 point ceiling if the player doesn't have that kind of ceiling? Not all talented players have ceilings of 80+ points. A guy like Jonathan Toews, who was much better at the same age as Suzuki, I believe only ever hit 80 points once.

Where did I say he's got no room to grow? I even said go ahead and push the projection to the 60-70 point range. He's currently around a 50 point guy, so that projection range sees him increase his totals by almost 20 points.

You're just upset because I don't think he'll put up 85 points, which would essentially make him a top 10 center in hockey.
Again, I’m not upset. I can’t make you think what I think. I believe Suzuki will hit 85 points at some point in his career. You don’t. That’s fine. Have a good one.

Reactions: brakeyawself

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
A lot of players do worst than Suzuki in their first 2 years and end up ppg+. He looks really good last year, in playoffs, and again this year minus consistency issues.

He may or may not hit ppg - but I don't think it's wrong to say that's his potential ceiling.

ps - Joanthan Toew's ceiling was certainly ppg+ as well. He just didn't hit that ceiling offensively (not consistently at least)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Fixed it for you since you clearly have no clue what you are talking about, you are welcome.

Always fun when people throw in insults when you don't praise their player to their liking.

Irony being he hasn't actually proven me wrong yet. Might want to throw those "you have no clue" comments AFTER Suzuki demolishes my point projection range, not when he falls smack dab in the low end of it.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
If Hischier is too early to tell then how can you talk about Suzuki.

I’m comparing Nick Suzuki to the pool of prospects from the worst draft class in 9 years.

Do you understand the word project? The guy is 21.
This draft is very underrated bro maybe watch some of the players before you start talking about something you clearly have no clue (wth) you are talking about. Also unless Suzuki learns to skate he is not going to become a number one center. Suzuki had 12 points in his first 12 games, and since he has 8 points in his last 19 games while putting up decent average analytical numbers and 44% in the faceoff dot and he is almost 22. Doesn't say number one center come on.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
I only picked Suzuki because I misread the poll and thought it was a 2021 1st roundr and not 1st overall lol

I don't see how you can go against a #1 pick overall in any years

To OP: maybe make it the 5th pick overall or something and it should be a lot closer.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
This draft is very underrated bro maybe watch some of the players before you start talking about something you clearly have no clue (wth) you are talking about. Also unless Suzuki learns to skate he is not going to become a number one center. Suzuki had 12 points in his first 12 games, and since he has 8 points in his last 19 games while putting up decent average analytical numbers and 44% in the faceoff dot and he is almost 22. Doesn't say number one center come on.
I’ve been following the draft for a while now. Believe me, if the 2021 draft was the quality of the 2018, 2019, or 2020 drafts, I wouldn’t have made the poll. This poll isn’t about Suzuki being a 1st overall type player. In a good draft he isn’t. I just don’t believe the 2021 draft has any 1st overall type players so it was a fair comparison in my mind. Obviously most people disagree and that’s fine.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Come on now. Unless the 1OA is Yail Nakupov then Im sure its gonna be the better piece.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
No, but I would trade back from #1 for a player like Suzuki and an additional asset like Montreal's first. Straight up is selling low though.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
Cool. So you’re saying Suzuki will peak at 21? Bro I can’t with HF.

No, I think he's saying that making such ridiculous projections a few seasons in with absolutely no indication that he'll get there, on top of the fact that 85 point centers are very rare is a little silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad