Confirmed Signing with Link: Nick Spaling to Europe (Genève-Servette - NLA)

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
http://www.nzz.ch/sport/nhl-spieler-in-genf-spaling-soll-servette-verstaerken-ld.109821

Vier Wochen vor dem Saisonstart scheint Genf/Servette seinen vierten Ausländer gefunden zu haben. Der Angreifer Nick Spaling steht in Genf vor der Unterschrift.

Four weeks before the start of the season seems to have its fourth foreigner found Geneva / Servette. The attacker Nick Spaling is in Geneva before the signature

Another one most likely gone to Europe.

Now Official.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Must be hard in cases like this as he will drop from the $2.2M he made last year to a couple of hundred thousand likely. But I guess it's better than nothing.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Must be hard in cases like this as he will drop from the $2.2M he made last year to a couple of hundred thousand likely. But I guess it's better than nothing.

I'd be willing to bet he's making a little bit more than that. Plus he's playing in Switzerland now. That places is worth the discount.

ForSpareParts*

I liked him a lot in Toronto.

I can't believe he couldn't land a NHL contract.

Mad Brills*

He probably could, but I can't see teams offering him much. Could have only had two way offers as well.

I'd imagine he prefers guaranteed money over a PTO.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'd be willing to bet he's making a little bit more than that. Plus he's playing in Switzerland now. That places is worth the discount.

I'd say in the $400K range but hard to say. There are advantages to playing in Switzerland like short travel, you get to sleep in your own bed each night, and usually the team provides condo and car I believe. Making more than if in the AHL which has a vet max salary of about $275K I think.

The downside of course is no chance to get called up to the NHL and make NHL money. No chance to win the Cup. None of the other NHL perks if he did make an NHL roster.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I'd say in the $400K range but hard to say. There are advantages to playing in Switzerland like short travel, you get to sleep in your own bed each night, and usually the team provides condo and car I believe. Making more than if in the AHL which has a vet max salary of about $275K I think.

The downside of course is no chance to get called up to the NHL and make NHL money. No chance to win the Cup. None of the other NHL perks if he did make an NHL roster.

I was more thinking about living in one of the most beautiful spots in the world. Think of the cheap chocolate man. If im unemployed and someone offers me around half of what I was making with those perks to live in Switzerland. I'd be hard pressed to turn it down. TBH I don't really blame him to take that.

BTW If you're signed to an AHL only contract I think that's the max. However there are guys signed to One way deals they make 900k in the ahl or nhl.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Re bolded... To be honest, it is down to what the player and club negotiated. If there's an out clause of some sort, a player could leave.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nick, send me chocolate. I had to watch you on the Penguins, I deserve it. K, thanks, bye.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I really really liked him on the Sharks.

He got overused at points, but he's got some speed and jam in his game. He's an excellent PKer.

I'm surprised he hasn't been signed.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Probably the most average, vanilla player I've ever seen

Pretty much thought exactly this about him. Like, he doesn't do anything exceedingly well, is meh in all 3 zones, basically zero sum when he's on the ice. He'll probably do well in a lesser league though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He could make some decent money over there. Probably not 2.2 million, but he probably could still get over 1 million, and the cost of living could be lower than in some cities over in NA (especially Toronto), so it could go a lot further.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
He could make some decent money over there. Probably not 2.2 million, but he probably could still get over 1 million, and the cost of living could be lower than in some cities over in NA (especially Toronto), so it could go a lot further.

You say the cost of living in SWITZERLAND could be LOWER? Ahahah best joke I heard in a long time! :laugh:

PS: I am not sure that there's even one player above 1 million in Switzerland, btw...

Last edited:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
He's a solid, versatile bottom six forward, I'm also surprised he couldn't get a deal somewhere in the NHL. He's about as vanilla as it gets, but he's very reliable.

Maybe he gets a better offer next year after teams lose players to expansion.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

This is purely anecdotal but in my experience in both cities, eating out in toronto (No tax/tip/drinks) is about $20 canadian. It was hard to find a good meal there under 30 euro (40-45 bucks canadian)

He's likely doing it for the playing time and experience, not the financial cut backs of european living

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad