Value of: Nick Schmaltz

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I really want to trade Schmaltz to Colorado for Martin Kaut and their 2019 1st. (they keep the Ottawa 1st)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think Nylander would mesh well with Toews because of the them he and Matthews had.
It's a pretty solid proposal tbh. I mean I'm sure people will be pouring in soon to rip into it, but it accommodates all the teams involved.

Toronto gets a roster top 4 dman AND a top prospect rhd. Colorado gets the 2C they need. Chicago gets the top line winger they're missing.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
After trying to fix their defense over the past 3 drafts, why would Chicago do this? Obviously Nylander is an upgrade over Schmaltz, but at the price of Boqvist also? C'mon now.
Well see it has to benefit both sides. I feel Nylander is worth a lot more than Boqvist. The Hawks would be dumb not to take this deal.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Well see it has to benefit both sides. I feel Nylander is worth a lot more than Boqvist. The Hawks would be dumb not to take this deal.
You’re wrong. They have wingers in Debrincat, Kane, and Saad. They don’t need another like they need defense. Trading their best D prospect AND an established top 6 player for a top 6 winger is terrible from an asset management perspective and a needs perspective. Makes no sense for the Hawks, and frankly, I’m not a fan of it value-wise either, especially considering Nylander’s contract demands.

Reactions: Crow and Pile

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
You’re wrong. They have wingers in Debrincat, Kane, and Saad. They don’t need another like they need defense. Trading their best D prospect AND an established top 6 player for a top 6 winger is terrible from an asset management perspective and a needs perspective. Makes no sense for the Hawks, and frankly, I’m not a fan of it value-wise either, especially considering Nylander’s contract demands.
Nylander could be the guy to rejuvenate Toews as he had unreal chemistry with Matthews who plays similarly to Toews. Saad is nowhere near as good as Nylander, I don't care what he's done the last 10 games. Using you're logic trading Draisaitl for Hyman is essentially just swapping top 6 forwards. Theres a big difference in talent between Schmaltz and Nylander. Nylander drives offence and can carry a line. Neither Schmaltz nor Saad can do that.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Schmaltz is just a throw in? The Hawks would be moronic to do this deal.
Nylander is an established 60 point player with a lot of potential. Schmaltz is a 2/3 centre who will likely top out as a 40-50 point guy. Nylander would add another driver to the Hawks. Schmaltz is just a passenger.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I doubt he puts up that much away from Kane. Hows he doing this year on another line?

He put up the same ppg with Toews the year before.

He has had a slow start this season but is still a on a mid-40 point pace.

You don't seem to have any idea what you are talking about with Schmaltz considering you said he was a passenger...

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
He put up the same ppg with Toews the year before.

He has had a slow start this season but is still a on a mid-40 point pace.

You don't seem to have any idea what you are talking about with Schmaltz considering you said he was a passenger...
He most definitely is a passenger. If he's the best guy on the line in a top 6, it probably isn't a great line. If he's driving a 3rd line, I don't know how you cant consider him a passenger.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
He most definitely is a passenger. If he's the best guy on the line in a top 6, it probably isn't a great line. If he's driving a 3rd line, I don't know how you cant consider him a passenger.

So he’s the playmaking version of Patrick sharp. Awful player.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Nylander is an established 60 point player with a lot of potential. Schmaltz is a 2/3 centre who will likely top out as a 40-50 point guy. Nylander would add another driver to the Hawks. Schmaltz is just a passenger.
Lol Nylander is an established 60 pt player yet schmaltz put up 52 pts in his first full NHL season so he's a passenger who will likely top out as a 2/3C in the 40-50 pt range

Take a step back and realize how idiotic and biased this sounds

Now go to bed and feel shame

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Nylander could be the guy to rejuvenate Toews as he had unreal chemistry with Matthews who plays similarly to Toews. Saad is nowhere near as good as Nylander, I don't care what he's done the last 10 games. Using you're logic trading Draisaitl for Hyman is essentially just swapping top 6 forwards. Theres a big difference in talent between Schmaltz and Nylander. Nylander drives offence and can carry a line. Neither Schmaltz nor Saad can do that.
You're arguing a point I didn't make and doing a pretty poor job of it. We have Toews and Kane to drive our top two lines. We need to surround them with players that help them do that, not acquire more guys to do it. If one of those guys can drive a line, then great, that's just a bonus. (Saad absolutely can drive a line and has several times throughout his career by the way. Now maybe he can't do it consistently, but that's fine, we don't need him to.) Considering Schmaltz scored 52 points to Nylander's 61 on a much worse team last year, I'm going to go ahead and say no on sending one the league's top D prospects to swap them. Schmaltz has been pretty successful thus far despite the fact that the Hawks have sucked and that they haven't decided whether they want him to be a center or a wing. He's got the ability to be a very good top forward on this team for a long time. I think he will be once those questions are answered.

I was trying to be delicate before, but since you can't seem to offer the same courtesy: This proposal is horrific. Nylander is not worth Schmaltz and Boqvist.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
You're arguing a point I didn't make and doing a pretty poor job of it. We have Toews and Kane to drive our top two lines. We need to surround them with players that help them do that, not acquire more guys to do it. If one of those guys can drive a line, then great, that's just a bonus. (Saad absolutely can drive a line and has several times throughout his career by the way. Now maybe he can't do it consistently, but that's fine, we don't need him to.) Considering Schmaltz scored 52 points to Nylander's 61 on a much worse team last year, I'm going to go ahead and say no on sending one the league's top D prospects to swap them. Schmaltz has been pretty successful thus far despite the fact that the Hawks have sucked and that they haven't decided whether they want him to be a center or a wing. He's got the ability to be a very good top forward on this team for a long time. I think he will be once those questions are answered.

I was trying to be delicate before, but since you can't seem to offer the same courtesy: This proposal is horrific. Nylander is not worth Schmaltz and Boqvist.
I dont know who you think Boqvist is but hes not some stud in the making. If your lucky he turns into a #3 guy. Schmaltz is a 2/3 center. Nylander is definitely worth a 2nd/3rd liner and a #3dman. Also I dont think you understand what driving a line is. Driving a line means you create offence by yourself as well as make the people around you better. Saad doesnt do that. The only player on the Hawks capable of that is Kane and Partially Toews. Schmaltz, DeBrincat, Saad etc are all passengers meaning they are only good when riding shot gun.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I dont know who you think Boqvist is but hes not some stud in the making. If your lucky he turns into a #3 guy. Schmaltz is a 2/3 center. Nylander is definitely worth a 2nd/3rd liner and a #3dman. Also I dont think you understand what driving a line is. Driving a line means you create offence by yourself as well as make the people around you better. Saad doesnt do that. The only player on the Hawks capable of that is Kane and Partially Toews. Schmaltz, DeBrincat, Saad etc are all passengers meaning they are only good when riding shot gun.

Stopped reading after first sentence.

You really don’t know how much upside Boqvist has if you are saying that. Ans that’s fine, he may never pan out.

But he has the highest ceiling of Hawks D prospects and highest ceiling of last summer D prospects after Dahlin. He just turned 18, is physically still a little boy but oh well, I guess you havent seen him with the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad