Player Discussion: Nick Paul

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Looking really good on the line with Point and Kucherov so far. Hasn't been overwhelmed by the pace and skill of those two at all.

It's still very premature, but if we can retain him at a reasonable cap hit it would be a lot easier to let Palat go. Luckily for us he hasn't put up the points yet to ask for a big contract either.

Reactions: Peacefool

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Definitely exceeded expectations so far. Big physical guy with a long reach, good puck retriever and forechecker, creating space for 21 and 86. I love it!

Reactions: Peacefool

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Scored on a couple of snapshot rockets too. May be an under appreciated part of his game.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This guy is just what the doctor ordered. Big, fairly physical, good hands. I think we're gonna love him even more in a month, if that's possible.

Reactions: More 2004

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
But buccigross assured us that Barkov was so reliable that if he were to play defense he’d win a Norris.
That was a really spicy take by him. Barkov just got "Caught off Gourde" by Hagel's burst of speed and I think he expected to have backup that he never got in Paul being covered. Barkov screwed up thinking this would never happen to him but (in his defense) all you see is 2 guys slowly striding back probably thinking the same thing as Paul goes between the legs.

It's not just the turning point because of the goal and how it happened. But WHY. The best thing the Cats can do is learn from it like we had to. If they do I love their chances against anyone. Including us

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Pay this man. I can't wait to watch him in the playoffs, what a steal.

giphy.gif

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
But buccigross assured us that Barkov was so reliable that if he were to play defense he’d win a Norris.

That was an unbelievable thing to say. I wonder how true it would've been for Fedorov and I can only wonder how unbelievable it is here. Basically saying Barkov could transition to a blueline role and be the best blueliner in the NHL, over other guys who have been defenseman for their entire hockey playing careers and know the ins-and-outs of the position like nobody else on earth.

Made me wish it was a former D and not Cally on the color so that they could immediately try to put an end to that nonsense.

Reactions: NatoGhost

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
That was an unbelievable thing to say. I wonder how true it would've been for Fedorov and I can only wonder how unbelievable it is here. Basically saying Barkov could transition to a blueline role and be the best blueliner in the NHL, over other guys who have been defenseman for their entire hockey playing careers and know the ins-and-outs of the position like nobody else on earth.

Made me wish it was a former D and not Cally on the color so that they could immediately try to put an end to that nonsense.
Would this be a bad time to mention Barkov was a -8 in the playoffs last year? Worst of the post season in only 6 games.

StammerHammer

Dec 23, 2021
Nick has been in the league since 2015-16 and this will be his first time in the playoffs. Have to feel bad for these players that get drafted by perennial losers.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
That was a really spicy take by him. Barkov just got "Caught off Gourde" by Hagel's burst of speed and I think he expected to have backup that he never got in Paul being covered. Barkov screwed up thinking this would never happen to him but (in his defense) all you see is 2 guys slowly striding back probably thinking the same thing as Paul goes between the legs.

It's not just the turning point because of the goal and how it happened. But WHY. The best thing the Cats can do is learn from it like we had to. If they do I love their chances against anyone. Including us
Bucci is also the Jim Rome of ESPNs new hockey coverage. It tries to be far more style than substance.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

People always forget the context of the Fedorov situation. When Scotty Bowman was asked why he was playing Fedorov on D, Bowman said it was because he "wasnt doing anything" at forward.

Fedorov was the most enigmatic player I ever saw.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
People always forget the context of the Fedorov situation. When Scotty Bowman was asked why he was playing Fedorov on D, Bowman said it was because he "wasnt doing anything" at forward.

Fedorov was the most enigmatic player I ever saw.
One of my all-time favorites though!

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Hypothetically if these offers were on the table for Paul, which would we be more comfortable with

Short term: 2 years 3.25m AAV w/o a NTC

Long term: 5 years 2.5m AAV w/M-NTC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad