Player Discussion Nick Paul Appreciation Thread

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Really hope we resign him so we can haunt Toronto for years haha.

Maybe not tho, we need that cap space for Giroux heh.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Helluva player, glad to see him doing well in Tampa and proving he is a stud in the playoffs.

I'm sure the sens will be looking for a Nick Paul replacement shortly and have to overpay to get one.

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He’ll be remembered for this for forever. What a great series he had.

The standout player from both teams who hasn’t been to an All Star game - he was the series X factor

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He wasn't great in the series. He had a great last game which I am sure all Sens fans are thankful for.

In the 7 game series I watched Nick Paul was great. Maybe you think missing a PK breakaway is a failure instead of an accomplishment, so we see the game differently

Reactions: aragorn

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Atta boy Nick! The legend continues. Still in our hearts.

Awesome game. Wish you could have been clutch for us a playoff series, love watching you take down the leafs though!

I don’t want to cheer for Tampa anymore, but I do want to see you lift a cup…

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
He wasn't great in the series. He had a great last game which I am sure all Sens fans are thankful for.

I thought he played well all series, just couldn’t convert on his chances until game 7. Picked a great time.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
2020-21 :

1652623390859.png

Anyway you look at Nick Paul, advanced stats or eye test, should reveal you that he is a quality player. Nobody says he is McDavid but you're lucky if you have him in your bottom-6. Julien Brisebois is one of the best GMs, if not the best, and will find a way to re-sign him. Nick Paul will leave a bit of money on the table to be in Florida, pay less taxes and win.

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
2020-21 :

View attachment 547287

Anyway you look at Nick Paul, advanced stats or eye test, should reveal you that he is a quality player. Nobody says he is McDavid but you're lucky if you have him in your bottom-6. Julien Brisebois is one of the best GMs, if not the best, and will find a way to re-sign him. Nick Paul will leave a bit of money on the table to be in Florida, pay less taxes and win.
How much cash did he turned down from the Sens?

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Not sure, think I heard the Sens offer was maximum 2.7? You will to ask posters who follow that kind of stuff more closely
According to capfriendly's tax calculator, a $2.7m salary would work out to $1.283m in Ottawa and $1.620m in Tampa. In fact Ottawa could pay in $3.4m and he would still be earning a bit less after taxes than the $2.7m in Florida would yield.

Butchy Dakkar

Oct 3, 2020
According to capfriendly's tax calculator, a $2.7m salary would work out to $1.283m in Ottawa and $1.620m in Tampa. In fact Ottawa could pay in $3.4m and he would still be earning a bit less after taxes than the $2.7m in Florida would yield.
If this is true (I assume it is), brutal. Supports what Methot has said in his podcast, taxes matter.

NHL should equalize the playing field somehow. Adjust cap and transfer payments?

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Ashrum

Sep 22, 2006
It's worse for Canadian teams because there revenue is in cdn dollars so it's not equal. Attendance should be better in Canada on average vs US but still

It would be political suicide to drop taxes on athletes though with the avg income of Canadian's and the rise of cost of living.

Butchy Dakkar

Oct 3, 2020
Paul is from Toronto right? Some irony that he scored two and likely saved a goal in game 7.

I really hope he doesn’t want to come “home” a la John Tavares!

I’d still love him on our team though.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If this is true (I assume it is), brutal. Supports what Methot has said in his podcast, taxes matter.

NHL should equalize the playing field somehow. Adjust cap and transfer payments?
Of course it is true - it’s wonderful that cap friendly starts to publish this inequity -

So many here complain why our GM doesn’t sign or trade for the players they want. They don’t realize that players simply don’t want to give away their money and that’s before we deal with weather, restaurants, team management, and the usual points.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad