Signing(s): Nick Markakis back to the Braves (1 year, $6 million)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A 2.6 war player gets a 1 yr/4m deal with a 2m buyout for next season.

I can't not see a strike happening when this cba ends.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I know they don’t want a salary cap but at least with a cap you get a mandatory floor and the market is set for pretty much every player. Most big market teams avoid the luxury tax anyways, which ironically hurts players in free agency.

If he’s healthy it’s a steal for the Braves sadly, by he’s about 6 million underpaid.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Meh. I get that he's probably better than any combination of Duvall or Culberson in the outfield but I was hoping for more. Seems like the Nats, Mets and Phillies have improved this offseason while the Braves have stayed the same at best, if not got worse.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Meh. I get that he's probably better than any combination of Duvall or Culberson in the outfield but I was hoping for more. Seems like the Nats, Mets and Phillies have improved this offseason while the Braves have stayed the same at best, if not got worse.
Donaldson was a pretty big add

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
How did they get worse?? It’s the same team plus Donaldson. Losing Suzuki?? Nah.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
How did they get worse?? It’s the same team plus Donaldson. Losing Suzuki?? Nah.
Like it or not, Suzuki was our best hitting catcher. Tyler Flowers framing ability isn't enough to overcome hitting below average like he did last year. You can't really expect a lot out of McCann either. Markakis tailed off to end the year too.

Say what you want about Anibal Sanchez but he was one of our better starters last year. There is not a proven replacement. The bullpen also still seems mediocre at best.

We're banking on bounce back years from a few guys and our young players to keep taking the next step in their careers.

I don't think we're a better team as of now like a few of the teams in our division. There's no a lot of room for error if some of these moves don't work out.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Like it or not, Suzuki was our best hitting catcher. Tyler Flowers framing ability isn't enough to overcome hitting below average like he did last year. You can't really expect a lot out of McCann either. Markakis tailed off to end the year too.

Say what you want about Anibal Sanchez but he was one of our better starters last year. There is not a proven replacement. The bullpen also still seems mediocre at best.

We're banking on bounce back years from a few guys and our young players to keep taking the next step in their careers.

I don't think we're a better team as of now like a few of the teams in our division. There's no a lot of room for error if some of these moves don't work out.
Both Sanchez and Suzuki are vets that caught a good year. Suzuki had a terrible 2nd half as well. Getting Donaldson and having Camargo and Culberson as super-utility players is a great move. Plus, we're not done. I still think we're going to trade for either a 1 or 2 starter, and I believe that Realmuto isn't quite dead yet either.

I also believe we'll see first half Albies rather than 2nd half Albies (he admitted to exhaustion) and other young pitchers will take a step forward (Soroka, Touki, etc...).

That said...yes, I do believe the Mets have gotten better. Nats made a couple great deals, but still haven't landed Harper. Same for Phillies.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
We'll lose a season.

The NFL is heading for a strike after 2021. I think each league would like the others setup, atleast from MLB ownership. I'm not sure what league will have the easier resolution. The baseball strike has been a long time coming though if you ask me. I don't know how the MLB will resell this though. It took a few years after 94. As much as you hear steroid bashing, it saved the game. 1998 Big Mac and Sosa. Sure theres young talent but you now have just as many strikeours if not more than homers. Can strikeouts really sell?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2