Nick Jensen stretchered off - reported to be conscious and alert

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Didn't see this posted yet, but Nick Jensen took a hit from Eyssimont and hit his head against the boards quite hard. He was knocked unconscious and stretchered off. I did see a report from WaPo that he is now conscious and alert, so that's good. No penalty on the play, and the last 1:31 of the first was carried over after the intermission (likely to ensure that Jensen was okay.)

Here's a link to the only video I could find.

Dowd fought Eyssimont later on.

• Wow
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Jensen should've gotten treatment. If you're completely out after slamming your head against the boards, the smart thing would be to take care of yourself, at least not refuse to stay overnight to check and see for complications. I really hope he's truly okay.

At the same time, though...I don't know what Eyssimont is supposed to do. He finished a hard check, and it was an unfortunate result. Wasn't a headshot, wasn't egregiously late, just...aside from Jensen hitting his head on the boards, it would've been a solid check.

I'd have given him two minutes. I don't get the non-call myself. But I don't view this as a malicious or reckless hit; just finishing a legal check with an unfortunate result.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Meh, good hit from Eyssimont, keep your head up buttercup!
Definition of Major and Game Misconduct for Boarding. Insane, but just add it the law suit that will bury the NHL

Jensen should've gotten treatment. If you're completely out after slamming your head against the boards, the smart thing would be to take care of yourself, at least not refuse to stay overnight to check and see for complications. I really hope he's truly okay.

At the same time, though...I don't know what Eyssimont is supposed to do. He finished a hard check, and it was an unfortunate result. Wasn't a headshot, wasn't egregiously late, just...aside from Jensen hitting his head on the boards, it would've been a solid check.

I'd have given him two minutes. I don't get the non-call myself. But I don't view this as a malicious or reckless hit; just finishing a legal check with an unfortunate result.
Literally can’t be called a minor by the rules Requires Major and GM by the rules.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Dude get real! What is any player supposed to do when they follow through with their stick like that to advance the puck forward?! I guess Jensen should have looked left as he's making his follow through?! It was a push/hit that wasn't necessary and a bit late. To make things worse Eyssimont pressed Jensen against the boards after pushing him off balance. Most hockey players know(almost at every type of level) when you push a player slightly off balance from a follow through with the puck, the player will have no control on their fall.

How about I try that on you in that moment! Are you gonna say to yourself, "I should have been looking for that"! Answer is no!

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Literally can’t be called a minor by the rules Requires Major and GM by the rules.

Then the refs screwed up the original call. It should've been two minutes for boarding. Nothing more. It wasn't a malicious check like I've seen in recent times. Eyssimont was finishing a legal hit. He didn't extend either elbow, he didn't make contact with Jensen's head, and I don't think it was even a reckless hit. I don't know what Eyssimont's supposed to do in this situation. If Jensen doesn't get knocked out, we regard that as a hell of a hit.

I just don't this is the fault of either player; just a legal hit with an unfortunate result.

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
Definition of Major and Game Misconduct for Boarding. Insane, but just add it the law suit that will bury the NHL

Dude get real! What is any player supposed to do when they follow through with their stick like that to advance the puck forward?! I guess Jensen should have looked left as he's making his follow through?! It was a push/hit that wasn't necessary and a bit late. To make things worse Eyssimont pressed Jensen against the boards after pushing him off balance. Most hockey players know(almost at every type of level) when you push a player slightly off balance from a follow through with the puck, the player will have no control on their fall.

How about I try that on you in that moment! Are you gonna say to yourself, "I should have been looking for that"! Answer is no!
Nah, it was a perfecty good, legitimate hit. Jensen walked out of the rink just fine right? Was probably faking it just like "tough guy" Wilson went down like a rag doll when Nick Nasty elbowed him in the face. This is ice hockey not ice skating, suck it up buttercup!

• Wow
Reactions: stampedingviking

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Then the refs screwed up the original call. It should've been two minutes for boarding. Nothing more. It wasn't a malicious check like I've seen in recent times. Eyssimont was finishing a legal hit. He didn't extend either elbow, he didn't make contact with Jensen's head, and I don't think it was even a reckless hit. I don't know what Eyssimont's supposed to do in this situation. If Jensen doesn't get knocked out, we regard that as a hell of a hit.

I just don't this is the fault of either player; just a legal hit with an unfortunate result.
He did extend his elbows in the form of a pushing motion on Jensen's body!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Nah, it was a perfecty good, legitimate hit. Jensen walked out of the rink just fine right? Was probably faking it just like "tough guy" Wilson went down like a rag doll when Nick Nasty elbowed him in the face. This is ice hockey not ice skating, suck it up buttercup!
Dude, to say Jensen was faking it is just disgusting. I see your only rebuttal is, "suck it up buttercup!"

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
He did extend his elbows in the form of a pushing motion on Jensen's body!

I thought it was more of his arms. What I meant was that his elbows weren't used as a hit, he didn't make the head a priciple point of contact at all. It was a bit late, but honestly, I've seen much worse that should get suspended (Oshie, whom I love as a Blues fan, should've gotten a long suspension or at least a max fine for kicking Jost in the groin).

It was a very unfortunate result for Jensen, but I don't see any malicious or reckless intent on Eyssimont's part. He has every right to finish a check if it's not egregiously late (which this wasn't), and he chose the wrong area.

It should've been a two minute minor for boarding. The no-call was a big screw-up because Eyssimont should've been penalized, but I don't see anything malicious or suspension-worthy.

But mostly, I just hope Jensen's okay. You don't fake being knocked out like a light. Not the way he reacted.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Anyone questioning Jensen going home with his family, players can't just go as they please. There is a protocol and there was ample time since this happened towards the end of the 1st period. Medical staff would perform tests for a concussion. Jensen lay still for a good bit because of the shock from impact.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Pretty sure I read the caps announcers said it wasn't a penalty after watching the replays.

Good hit with a bad result. Never want to see that.

Glad he is ok.

Reactions: Neil Racki

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Looked like he fell awkwardly leading to his head hitting the boards. Glad he is cleared by the medical staff and was able to go home.
Of course he fell awkwardly because he was pushed! It drives me nuts to how many ppl don't play ice hockey or don't understand the physics of it! Whether you shoot left-handed or right-handed, when your follow through with your stick on puck, you will have slight shift of weight to one side or another. When another player comes in skating motion towards you and even the slightest contact against the player on the follow through, that player is gonna fall off balance awkwardly because they had not even a slit sec to embrace the side impact.

Reactions: YippieKaey

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

The rulebook literally does not allow for anything less that 5+game when a player goes head first with an injury, but you have no clue because you’re pointing to things that have 0 to do with boarding.

Like the NHL, you need to read the rulebook because the hit has basically 0 to do with Boarding.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Looked like he fell awkwardly leading to his head hitting the boards. Glad he is cleared by the medical staff and was able to go home.
Sounds to me like exactly what boarding should be. Saw someone in the GDT say it wouldn't be right to call it boarding because of how far they were from the boards... makes no sense to me.

This sport is played on ice, so if you're going to clean a guy out in a way that he slams into the boards and knocks himself unconscious you should be getting a penalty and it's nuts to me that the league consistently refuses to rule it that way. Hell, Jensen doesn't even slide, he's just tossed into the low part of the boards with no give and not put in a situation where he can defend himself at all.

Should be more than 2, frankly.

The rulebook literally does not allow for anything less that 5+game when a player goes head first with an injury, but you have no clue because you’re pointing to things that have 0 to do with boarding.

Like the NHL, you need to read the rulebook because the hit has basically 0 to do with Boarding.
1713069476017.png

Was Jensen checked in a way that caused him to impact the boards violently and dangerously? It's not the main way you see boarding calls but it should still be a way, this is a pointless (and late) check where a guy got tossed through the air, hit the wall, and was knocked unconscious.

If that's not boarding the f*** are we doing here?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't applaud this, and I really don't understand the medical staff signing off on it. If you get stretchered off, you're not okay. Get checked out by a facility with the equipment to do it.

You realize that the doctors that work for teams are likely some of the best in their fields, hence why an NHL team would want them?

Someone gets potentially seriously injured, clean or not and this is your comment! SAD!

Reactions: Block

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Sounds to me like exactly what boarding should be. Saw someone in the GDT say it wouldn't be right to call it boarding because of how far they were from the boards... makes no sense to me.

This sport is played on ice, so if you're going to clean a guy out in a way that he slams into the boards and knocks himself unconscious you should be getting a penalty and it's nuts to me that the league consistently refuses to rule it that way. Hell, Jensen doesn't even slide, he's just tossed into the low part of the boards with no give and not put in a situation where he can defend himself at all.

Should be more than 2, frankly.

View attachment 851574

Was Jensen checked in a way that caused him to impact the boards violently and dangerously? It's not the main way you see boarding calls but it should still be a way, this is a pointless (and late) check where a guy got tossed through the air, hit the wall, and was knocked unconscious.

If that's not boarding the f*** are we doing here?

"defenseless opponent"..."dangerously"...."shall be at the discretion of the Referee". Nothing ambiguous there.....

1713075078030.png

1713075222133.png

Unfortunate outcome, not a penalty

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
My son is 11 and I didn't really like him seeing Jensen lay on the ice completely motionless for quite some time. Scary to watch.
When I was 11, I was watching people get mutilated and murdered on LiveLeak. I guess everyone is introduced to things at a different pace lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad