Confirmed with Link: Nick Carrière named Assistant-Coach for IceCaps

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
http://www.stjohnsicecaps.com/article/nick-carriere-named-assistant-coach/

MONTREAL, QUEBEC (July 6, 2015) – The Montreal Canadiens announced today they have hired Nick Carrière as an assistant coach for their AHL affiliate, the St. John’s IceCaps.

The appointment rounds out the IceCaps coaching staff that includes head coach Sylvain Lefebrve and assistant Donald Dufresne.

He's Larry Carrière's son.

His career resume:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=78854

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
This stinks of nepotism.

Yes it does. At least he has 10 years of coaching experience and not of partying experience.

That being said, our farm team is becoming a joke. Rather than an extension of the big clubs philosophy, the Dogs/Caps need to be better run especially now with so many solid youngsters coming in. The entire staff needs to be replaced with some experienced head coach from the Q or similar that we can groom to be the next head coach is possible a la Guy Boucher.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
This suggests to me that it is not Bergevin who actually GMs the IceCaps, but instead, Larry Carriere. The hiring of his own son as an assistant coach does provide a direct link to the players and the room, and I imagine he does know his hockey; but a 35 year-old coach who was coaching an exclusively New York division III hockey league?

Ouf.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Nobody knows him, stop hating. Best wishes, his dad probably enhanced his understanding of hockey, that's what Bergevin is banking on. If it doesn't work it's all right.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
This suggests to me that it is not Bergevin who actually GMs the IceCaps, but instead, Larry Carriere. The hiring of his own son as an assistant coach does provide a direct link to the players and the room, and I imagine he does know his hockey; but a 35 year-old coach who was coaching an exclusively New York division III hockey league?

Ouf.

To his defense though,

D III hockey, in some cases isn't that much of a step off from lower tier D I hockey. D1 hockey coaches step into NHL head coaching. This guy is becoming an assistant of an AHL team.

He may have family ties but it doesn't mean he isn't qualified. Just like Dubas in Toronto and his past with the Greyhounds.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Its not that I think he isnt a smart hockey person, its more that there are very likely more qualified other good hockey people out there to hire.

Well sure but Therrien is our HC and there are better options out there.

It is what it is. He isn't IMO under qualified.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So they made the coaching staff in the AHL worse?

Awesome. Way to go management team.

Let's not try to promote someone of merit.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I'll judge this based on the result. Maybe Carriere wants someone he can touch to tell him how Lefevbre relates to the players.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Its not that I think he isnt a smart hockey person, its more that there are very likely more qualified other good hockey people out there to hire.

There probably are but how many of you could have honnestly named all the AHL assistants, without using google?.....The point is it won't really affect much, imo.

I agree the optics don't look good but he's been a head coach for 10 years, played the game at a competitive level. He'll probably be one of 3 coaches running the PP or PK and maybe he'll run a few pratices... and go from there. I doubt the job description was 'Make Mike Mccaron a 50 goal scorer by season's end...aaaanndddddd....go!'

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who did you want to promote for an assistant AHL job ?

An ECHL coach ?

Not someone's son.

Especially when the current coaching staff in place continues to churn out the worst AHL performances I've ever seen. The whole group needs an overhaul.

If you like Scherbak I assume you're into newness. We don't know the dude, why feel such declivity ?

Am I supposed to feel great that Lefebvre and his cronies are back, then we added someone's son to the mix? That says to me that Lefebvre and his staff will be here for as long as the Bergevin brain-trust is... which doesn't make me warm and fuzzy about Therrien's potential dismissal either.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Not someone's son.

Especially when the current coaching staff in place continues to churn out the worst AHL performances I've ever seen. The whole group needs an overhaul.

Am I supposed to feel great that Lefebvre and his cronies are back, then we added someone's son to the mix? That says to me that Lefebvre and his staff will be here for as long as the Bergevin brain-trust is... which doesn't make me warm and fuzzy about Therrien's potential dismissal either.

If he wasn't his son you would be fine with it though.. Correct ?

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Hopefully Lefebrve is close to the door....
Now, I don't know much about Carriere, Im eager to find out more and I wish him the best of luck with the IceCaps. What I do know is that Lefebrve hasn't been very good for our farm team ever since he took over.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Not someone's son.

I'm pro Bergevin, and his administration. All I read are oui-dires about Lefebvre. It's discriminatoire to hate the new AHL assistant coach because he's the son of Larry Carrière, the guy is only 35 years old and wasn't an NHL player, which means he had to overcome some odds. Let's give him a chance.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm pro Bergevin, and his administration. All I read are oui-dires about Lefebvre. It's discriminatoire to hate the new AHL assistant coach because he's the son of Larry Carrière, the guy is only 35 years old and wasn't an NHL player, which means he had to overcome some odds. Let's give him a chance.

Lol.. what odds? His dad just gave him a job. Ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00