Nick Bonino Appreciation Thread

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Too often this guy gets treated like the red-headed stepchild of the HBK line. He has been a key player for us these playoffs, and that great pass for Kessel's 2nd goal has been the rule rather than the exception.

12 points in 14 games, and leads all forwards in SHTOI. From a center making less than 2 mil per. I don't care what two wingers you're playing with a center, that's not only incredible value for money, that's a great playoff performance period.

Break up HBK? Trade him while his value's high? Put these crazy ideas to bed. Bonino was looking like a prime candidate to be moved in the off-season early this year, but he's been a textbook example of a player finding his niche.

Quality playmaker.

Playoff performer.

Smart.

Defensively sound.

Cheap.

We'd be stupid to do anything but let him play out his contract here.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sign. Me. Up.

I can't believe this guy right now. He's insane. Winning battles that he should lose. Sneaky quick. Smart. Whatever. Sign me teh **** up. :yo:

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
For Brandon Sutter.

And the Canucks threw in Clendening, who helped land Hagelin. AND they gave up a second rounder for the Pens' third.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Sheikh has been an absolute force. He was supposed to suck on faceoffs too, what happened there?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Very good playmaking 3C who apparently thrives with speedy wingers. Imagine Brandon Sutter trying to make heads or tails of anything while centering Hagelin and Kessel. I wasn't sold on Bonino until they tried him with his current linemates but I'm certainly glad to have him now.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
Yeah, Brandon Sutter isn't doing the stuff that Bonino has been doing with Kessel and Hagelin. Sutter wouldn't be anywhere near the same zipcode as them.

Bonino has been an outstanding piece for the last two months, and a much needed boost, too. We're nowhere near this point without HBK.

He's the least physically gifted of the three, but the dude is the glue that makes that line a goddamn force.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's a very smart player, he's like our Chris Drury right now and I am happy he's a Penguin. He looks creepy as **** with that beard and his balding hair, but I love watching that ugly ******* play.

Very good playmaking 3C who apparently thrives with speedy wingers. Imagine Brandon Sutter trying to make heads or tails of anything while centering Hagelin and Kessel. I wasn't sold on Bonino until they tried him with his current linemates but I'm certainly glad to have him now.

We talk about a lot of guys that were stifled by Johnston, Bones was one of them, he looked bad under Johnston but when Sullivan took over, Bones just started to look better even before the trio were put together.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, Brandon Sutter isn't doing the stuff that Bonino has been doing with Kessel and Hagelin. Sutter wouldn't be anywhere near the same zipcode as them.

Bonino has been an outstanding piece for the last two months, and a much needed boost, too. We're nowhere near this point without HBK.

He's the least physically gifted of the three, but the dude is the glue that makes that line a goddamn force.

The thing for Bones vs Sutter is that Bones is just as good defensively, but his offensive IQ is leagues above Sutter's. Sutter wouldn't know what the **** to do with Kessel and Hags, he'd probably just try to shoot every time instead of finding either guy. Sutter is a 3rd line C, Bones is a 2B Center.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It'll be interesting if they can replace him by the summer of 2017. He's definitely gonna be looking at Hagelin+ money.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
cut.jpeg

cut.jpeg

But that beard.

He likely gets pulled from the line for an individual scan and interview going through security on every flight that the Pens take.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Win win trade.

You guys get the dude who fits your playoff team like a glove. We get the injury prone softie who fits our tank like a glove.

Glad to see Bones doing well, I have a special place in my heart for playmakers like him.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Weird that Sutter was so injury prone this year. He was an iron man for the Pens. He seemed to be one of the few guys on our team that never got hurt. Although he was able to avoid injuries mostly by the fact he was so soft and always avoided contact.

Bones was pretty invisible much of the year but damn did he turn it on once they put him with Hags and Kessel. I guess he just needed more speed on his line and/or to play more of an offensive role to be effective. He's definitely a better offensive player than Sutter. We haven't had a 3rd center this good since Staal. Great trade by JR.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
He's a shockingly good playmaker for a bottom 6 center. His chemistry with Hagelin and Kessel is magical. He knows where to find Kessel and Hags digs pucks out for them. I feel they can score every time they are on the ice and a big part of that is Bonino.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Honestly I think his (broken?) hand still hurts him. He normally has a pretty sneaky quick release but I have barely seen him taken shots since he returned from his injury.

Guy is legit though. Exactly what you want in your 3rd center, if your first and second are quite a bit injury prone. Unlike Sutter he is great with skill on his wing.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
He's an ideal pivot with the added speed on the wings.
As Sully likes to say, "very cerebral".

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
He's a shockingly good playmaker for a bottom 6 center.

But is he really a bottom 6 center? VAN fans sold him as a borderline 2c and I think he's shown that if put in the right position he absolutely can produce like one. It's funny to me because we've basically perfected Shero's goal of strength down the middle. He just couldn't acquire the right wingers, JR did.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
It is hard to argue that he hasn't been our best C in the playoffs....Better than Crosby and Malkin.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Sign. Me. Up.

I can't believe this guy right now. He's insane. Winning battles that he should lose. Sneaky quick. Smart. Whatever. Sign me teh **** up. :yo:

Yep... He kind of reminds me of Robert Lang. Always around the puck and always making a sneaky play. His sense and instincts are really high end.

Im hoping the Pens catch on and see that with the way HBK is playing... They have Crosbys high end winger already on the team.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
When it come time next season you have to let this line stay together. They compliment each other to the point it gives them that X-factor.

Was really down on him earlier in the season, funny, how things can change at the drop of a dime.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
The thing for Bones vs Sutter is that Bones is just as good defensively, but his offensive IQ is leagues above Sutter's. Sutter wouldn't know what the **** to do with Kessel and Hags, he'd probably just try to shoot every time instead of finding either guy. Sutter is a 3rd line C, Bones is a 2B Center.

imo if sutter is your third line center your team sucks. every team i'm aware of that he's played that role for was garbage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad