Nick Bjugstad upside

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I see he is leading Minnesota Uni in scoring. Pretty nice stat line:

13-10-8-18

He's listed as a 7.5C, I'd probably give him a 7.5B

What's the upside and NHL eta on Bjugstad?

He's the 6th ranked Panthers prospect on HF. He must be the best prospect that is ranked that low on their team.

Any insight on big Nick would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
I'm a big fan. I can see him being a solid two-way 60 point 2C for the Panthers.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
He's an extremely safe prospect despite having high potential. Lowest case great 3rd liner, best case 1st line C.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
What's the upside and NHL eta on Bjugstad?

Upside?

His upside is probably higher than any prospect already drafted not in the NHL. Immense talent that has every tool imaginable with a projectable frame at the NHL level. Has yet to truly put it altogether but this is a kid who should be a true freshman in college hockey but took care of Junior and Senior studies in high school to advance to the collegiate game a year early.

In my opinion watching him this season, he could play in the NHL right now. Of course it's best for his development that he's at the U this season, but I think it's pretty much a lock that he moves on after the year.

Panthers are Red

Why so sad?
Jun 27, 2011
By my computer
I'm a big fan. I can see him being a solid two-way 60 point 2C for the Panthers.

I could see this being the case. He has been doing really well so far this season and stepped up his production from last season. Was watching some short clips of him earlier and he looks really big, but pretty agile and with good hands. So seems to have all the tools required to make the move to the NHL

Interestingly he is also playing on the same line as another Panthers prospect Kyle Rau.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
He is the most dominating gopher in recent memory. Vanek and Kessel dominated becasue of special abilities. Vanek could snipe anything and Kessel was just blazing fast. Bjugstad dominates all aspects of the ice. PK, PP, forechecking, scores in all areas and in all ways corners 5 hole etc.. he is 54% on face offs and despite being physical only has 4 minors on the year. He is always moving. Of his minors at least one was an even roughing call, he will never be labled lazy on the ice. He is getting better as the year goes on. Really taking to a leader role.

With all college players, especially big guys. You want to see how they can handle the long haul. Playing hard for two games with 5 days off is nice. He is only seeing maybe 3-4 future NHLers a night and of those maybe 1-2 NHL regulars. Bjugstad was a tennis player so i am sure he has a lot of stamina built up. He is a man among boys at only 19 but the NHL is all men.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Upside?

His upside is probably higher than any prospect already drafted not in the NHL.
Immense talent that has every tool imaginable with a projectable frame at the NHL level. Has yet to truly put it altogether but this is a kid who should be a true freshman in college hockey but took care of Junior and Senior studies in high school to advance to the collegiate game a year early.

In my opinion watching him this season, he could play in the NHL right now. Of course it's best for his development that he's at the U this season, but I think it's pretty much a lock that he moves on after the year.

I can't deny it myself but that sounds a little unrealistic.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Upside?

His upside is probably higher than any prospect already drafted not in the NHL. Immense talent that has every tool imaginable with a projectable frame at the NHL level. Has yet to truly put it altogether but this is a kid who should be a true freshman in college hockey but took care of Junior and Senior studies in high school to advance to the collegiate game a year early.

I think Huberdeau, Tarasenko and Granlund are sort of in a class of their own.

I would definitely group Bjugstad in with guys like Strome, Brayden Schenn and Niediettier though.

He is an absolutely outstanding prospect.

CoolburnIsGone

He's already said he models his game after Joe Thornton. Is his ceiling quite that high? Dunno, but it isn't inconceivable. I think his rating is a little low (and where he's rated amongst Panther prospects) but thats all subjective. I'd love to see him playing center with Huberdeau in the not to distant future.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I think Huberdeau, Tarasenko and Granlund are sort of in a class of their own.

I don't think Huberdeau belongs in this/his class to be honest. Granted, I've only seen limited viewings of him but I believe if you were to place Bjugstad and the game he plays in the CHL, he looks utterly dominant. Right now he's going against men that should be able to hold up against his pure size/skill/quickness and he still plays a pretty clearly superior game. If he's in the CHL, it'd be pretty comical to watch in my opinion.

Tarasenko is certainly debatable but I would absolutely feel comfortable pitting those two head to head. Even as a Wild fan, I can't say that Granlund has the pure upside that Bjugstad brings to the table. He's likely the more advanced all-around player right now but he comes up lacking in terms of quickness and certainly frame.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I don't think Huberdeau belongs in this/his class to be honest. Granted, I've only seen limited viewings of him but I believe if you were to place Bjugstad and the game he plays in the CHL, he looks utterly dominant. Right now he's going against men that should be able to hold up against his pure size/skill/quickness and he still plays a pretty clearly superior game. If he's in the CHL, it'd be pretty comical to watch in my opinion.

Tarasenko is certainly debatable but I would absolutely feel comfortable pitting those two head to head. Even as a Wild fan, I can't say that Granlund has the pure upside that Bjugstad brings to the table. He's likely the more advanced all-around player right now but he comes up lacking in terms of quickness and certainly frame.

Define pure upside?

Bjugstad certainly has an array of impressive tools, and is certaimly underepped as a prospect on here. Re-rankings of the 2010 draft is a redundant process anyway, but Bjugstad seems not to feature on too many. Which seems odd. He's statistically on a highly encouraging trajectory and when you add this with the skill-set ; frame, physical play, ability in the Offensive zone and his two way play and you do have a serious NHL prospect.

However, i think it's a little dramatic to suggest offensively he has quite the ability of the elite of the elite prospects outside the NHL. Players like Huberdeau, Kuznetsov, Granlund and Tarasenko are all IMO dynamic offensive players. Bjugstad is a little different. No doubt he has the tools to be a dominant force in the NHL, but it will be through a cominbation of high class skills, rather than the gamebreaking offensive talent that i see in Huberdeau or Kuznetsov for example. Their more dynamic Offensively ; more flash.

Granlund will produce at an elite rate at any level. His skating and frame aren't high end, but the skills with the puck and more importantly his understand of the game is so exceptional that i can't see how he doesn't translate to the NHL in an eventual dominant fashion.

Either way, Bjugstad is the clear 2nd best Forward prospect in the Florida system and along with Huberdeau, will have the most long-term responsibility in how Florida develops as a team.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Define pure upside?

Bjugstad certainly has an array of impressive tools, and is certaimly underepped as a prospect on here. Re-rankings of the 2010 draft is a redundant process anyway, but Bjugstad seems not to feature on too many. Which seems odd. He's statistically on a highly encouraging trajectory and when you add this with the skill-set ; frame, physical play, ability in the Offensive zone and his two way play and you do have a serious NHL prospect.

However, i think it's a little dramatic to suggest offensively he has quite the ability of the elite of the elite prospects outside the NHL. Players like Huberdeau, Kuznetsov, Granlund and Tarasenko are all IMO dynamic offensive players. Bjugstad is a little different. No doubt he has the tools to be a dominant force in the NHL, but it will be through a cominbation of high class skills, rather than the gamebreaking offensive talent that i see in Huberdeau or Kuznetsov for example. Their more dynamic Offensively ; more flash.

Granlund will produce at an elite rate at any level. His skating and frame aren't high end, but the skills with the puck and more importantly his understand of the game is so exceptional that i can't see how he doesn't translate to the NHL in an eventual dominant fashion.

Either way, Bjugstad is the clear 2nd best Forward prospect in the Florida system and along with Huberdeau, will have the most long-term responsibility in how Florida develops as a team.

This is exactly right. Bjugstad may be a "man among boys" now, but soon he will be a man among men.

Hockey sense rules in the NHL. That is why players like Patrick Kane, Jeff Skinner and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins have been so successful despite physical limitations. Huberdeau, Tarasenko and Granlund all have elite hockey sense, even for the NHL level.

Bjugstad seems like a Ryan Kesler or David Backes type player.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Define pure upside

As I said above, pure upside is what I would define as absolute ceiling. The best possible outcome. And given very few have what he possesses, that's how I come to such a conclusion. Right now he's at the point where he's got everything going from him, he just needs to get in tune with his frame. He comes across as a bit awkward but it's all there in terms of offensive instincts, skating, two-way play, and physical play given his frame.

This is exactly right. Bjugstad may be a "man among boys" now, but soon he will be a man among men.

A bit of a humorous comment considering he's already playing against men. Especially so when you're throwing Huberdeau into the conversation who doesn't play at the competition level that Bjugstad (nor the other listed) do. That's a player playing amongst boys.

Hockey sense rules in the NHL. That is why players like Patrick Kane, Jeff Skinner and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins have been so successful despite physical limitations. Huberdeau, Tarasenko and Granlund all have elite hockey sense, even for the NHL level.

I wouldn't be concerned about Bjugstad's hockey sense.

Bjugstad seems like a Ryan Kesler or David Backes type player.

And that's where I would view his reasonable aim as a prospect.

The point I was trying to get across, and which was the question in the original post, was what his upside is. And in my opinion watching this kid come up every step of the way in Minnesota hockey, I'd say he certainly has the upside of any player not currently in the NHL.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
A bit of a humorous comment considering he's already playing against men. Especially so when you're throwing Huberdeau into the conversation who doesn't play at the competition level that Bjugstad (nor the other listed) do. That's a player playing amongst boys.

NHL Men are a different kettle of fish to NCAA Men though.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
As I said above, pure upside is what I would define as absolute ceiling. The best possible outcome. And given very few have what he possesses, that's how I come to such a conclusion. Right now he's at the point where he's got everything going from him, he just needs to get in tune with his frame. He comes across as a bit awkward but it's all there in terms of offensive instincts, skating, two-way play, and physical play given his frame.

What is an absolute ceiling? The understanding and meaning of a concept/idea/word cannot be answered by another concept/idea/word that you've not defined yourself.

I considering pure upside as Offensive production. I think a player like Kuznetsov, Huberdeau or Granlund possesses greater Offensive flash and dynamic qualities. That isn't to say Bjugstad can't outproduce them, or doesn't possess the abilities to be a big time producer at the NHL level (he absolutely does), rather it says that those given 3 possess technical attributes of a slightly higher quality. Obviously "technical attributes" are not solely responsible for production and worth. But then, pure upside is similar ; it actually doesn't mean that much.

Against other young men with no Pro experience. However, the argument that he is playing against older competion to justify an argument seems false to me. It doesn't matter really what the age of the compeition is, it simply matters about the quality of the competition and the quality of your competition against that league. Whilst i think European prospects should always develop within their own systems at home and hate how people think it's automatically right to go to the CHL, i also hate the argument used that because they are playing against men at ages 18/19 that it makes them better.

I wouldn't be concerned about Bjugstad's hockey sense.

Nobody is

And that's where I would view his reasonable aim as a prospect.

I'd be marginally disappointed if he turned into Backes who i view as one of the most overrated players in the entire NHL. I hope Bjugstad can become a high end offensive player and believe he can, thus Backes isn't what i hope for.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
NHL Men are a different kettle of fish to NCAA Men though.

Clearly, but then the original comment that was made in which I was responding to needs no mention as we're talking about prospects here and by definition, none should have any sort of meaningful competition against NHL-level "men."

What is an absolute ceiling? The understanding and meaning of a concept/idea/word cannot be answered by another concept/idea/word that you've not defined yourself.

I considering pure upside as Offensive production. I think a player like Kuznetsov, Huberdeau or Granlund possesses greater Offensive flash and dynamic qualities. That isn't to say Bjugstad can't outproduce them, or doesn't possess the abilities to be a big time producer at the NHL level (he absolutely does), rather it says that those given 3 possess technical attributes of a slightly higher quality. Obviously "technical attributes" are not solely responsible for production and worth. But then, pure upside is similar ; it actually doesn't mean that much.

I agree, it doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot and we're debating purely over semantics at this time in my opinion.

When I look over prospects and I how translate their game to the next level; I tend to look to what type of role they'll settle into. Which I would prefer to attribute to reasonable aim. Absolute ceiling is something I view a player could aspire to, however unlikely.

When someone is asking upside, I don't view that as something that has a high percentage of coming to fruition. When talking about these other prolific scorers in comparison to Bjugstad is it more likely that they have a higher "reasonable aim" than Bjugstad? In my opinion, I believe they do. But if Bjugstad were to develop to his potential, I believe he's every bit the prospect as any drafted player.

And that's what I was trying to get at. There's fundamental differences in how people perceive prospects and the word "upside."

I'd be marginally disappointed if he turned into Backes who i view as one of the most overrated players in the entire NHL. I hope Bjugstad can become a high end offensive player and believe he can, thus Backes isn't what i hope for.

Meh, Backes is a fine player and a leader. I do believe Bjugstad will be a more effective offensive force, though.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Have only seen a couple of his games (at the WJCs), but it was clear right away that he had impressive tools. Great size, smooth skater and nice puck skills. Putting up pretty impressive stats for a Sophomore at Minny right now (hockeydb says 13 goals, 21 points in 14 games), surprised he doesn't get more hype around here, although I suppose it's understandable since most of the posters here (myself included) really just follow the CHL, not the NCAA, and Florida prospects in general aren't gonna get talked about much.

Pretty surprised HF has Bjugstad ranked below Dadonov though, can any Panthers fans chime in on that one? I would have thought Bjugstad was more like Florida's 3rd-5th best prospect than their 6th best prospect (behind Huberdeau and Markstrom, arguable with Gudbranson and Howden, ahead of everyone else)? Regardless the Cats certainly seem to have quite the stacked pool of youngsters.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
There's not a prospect out there that has his set of tools and frame. Of course, all that must come together but if we're talking absolute ceiling instead of reasonable aim, ya, I'd feel perfectly comfortable with such a statement.

Eh, I disagree. I think Kreider's the best prospect out there in terms of tools. Bjugstad way outplays him in terms of hockey sense, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad