Nick Abruzzese or Sean Farrell

Who would you prefer to add to your prospect pool?

• Total voters

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Not gonna lie, I have no idea who these guys are.

Why not provide a bit more context other than “they’re producing similar this year”?

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
(also both Chicago Steel alum and now Harvard 1st liners)

I'd vote Farrell. Really creative player. Two years younger. Better run in USHL.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Farrell because he's younger, but Abruzzese is also very underrated. I believe he could be playing and producing on the Marlies right now.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I've watched a bunch of Harvard this year and they're probably the 2nd and 3rd best forwards on that team (after Coronato obviously). I think both of their playstyles might have a hard time translating to pro, but I think Abruzzese's ceiling, even being 2.5~ years older, is higher. I'd be a little afraid of Farrell because almost all his points are tied to either Coronato or Abruzzese, but I'd probably bet on Farrell if I wasn't bias due to age alone.

It's really close though especially with Farrell having to show he's capable of what Abruzzese did in his "freshman" season. I'll take the guy the Leafs drafted because I'm bias.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
One guy is a hopeful prospect for the Leafs meanwhile the other is about to be (if he isn't already) the top prospect forward for the Habs.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Not gonna lie, I have no idea who these guys are.

Why not provide a bit more context other than “they’re producing similar this year”?

Abruzzese is essentially the ~2 year older version of Farrell. Both played for Chicago Steel in their D0 and D1 and went to Harvard in their D2's for their "freshman" season. Both 5'9, with high-end playmaking skills and strong-ish skating skills. Neither overly physical players. Both were drafted in the 4th round.

Abruzzese wasn't drafted until he broke out in his D1 having 80 points in 62 games. Farrell was drafted in his D0 having 56 points in 44 games. Farrell then crushed Abruzzese's D1 season with 101 points in 53 games, but he was attached to guys like Coronato, Mackie, and Doan all season (he outproduced them all, but they were much better teammates than Abruzzese had). For instance, the 2nd highest scorer on the Steel that season had 60 points. Coronato had 85, Doan had 70.

This season is Farrell's first at Harvard, and he's obviously crushing it, similar to how Abruzzese crushed his "freshman" season and won Ivy League rookie of the year. Their D+2 PPG:

Farrell - 1.27 (so far)
Abruzzese - 1.42

If you're talking up to the end of D+2 it's pretty clear that Farrell is probably the better prospect due to his longer track record. I'm more wary of him due to the fact he's played with much better players every year than I am of Abruzzese, but I'd say at this point Farrell needs to keep up to Abruzzese. It's insanely close if you're going to rank them. Very recently (I think 2 games ago?) the two of them started playing together (Farrell has been playing with Coronato all year).

Also: It's funny that the Leafs essentially took the next Farrell/Abruzzese in Joe Miller. His path right now is trending almost identical to the two of them, and is crushing it on the Steel this season.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Abruzzese is essentially the ~2 year older version of Farrell. Both played for Chicago Steel in their D0 and D1 and went to Harvard in their D2's for their "freshman" season. Both 5'9, with high-end playmaking skills and strong-ish skating skills. Neither overly physical players. Both were drafted in the 4th round.

Abruzzese wasn't drafted until he broke out in his D1 having 80 points in 62 games. Farrell was drafted in his D0 having 56 points in 44 games. Farrell then crushed Abruzzese's D1 season with 101 points in 53 games, but he was attached to guys like Coronato, Mackie, and Doan all season (he outproduced them all, but they were much better teammates than Abruzzese had). For instance, the 2nd highest scorer on the Steel that season had 60 points. Coronato had 85, Doan had 70.

This season is Farrell's first at Harvard, and he's obviously crushing it, similar to how Abruzzese crushed his "freshman" season and won Ivy League rookie of the year. Their D+2 PPG:

Farrell - 1.27 (so far)
Abruzzese - 1.42

If you're talking up to the end of D+2 it's pretty clear that Farrell is probably the better prospect due to his longer track record. I'm more wary of him due to the fact he's played with much better players every year than I am of Abruzzese, but I'd say at this point Farrell needs to keep up to Abruzzese. It's insanely close if you're going to rank them. Very recently (I think 2 games ago?) the two of them started playing together (Farrell has been playing with Coronato all year).

Also: It's funny that the Leafs essentially took the next Farrell/Abruzzese in Joe Miller. His path right now is trending almost identical to the two of them, and is crushing it on the Steel this season.

thank you for this informative post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad