Nichushkin leads new-look Dallas Stars Top 20 prospects ranking

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Dallas Stars, now under the new management of long time Red Wings assistant General Manager Jim Nill, continue to augment their stellar prospect group. Adding blue-chip prospect Valeri Nichushkin really helps to push the Stars further into the elite category among league-wide cupboards. Between Joe Nieuwendyk’s trade deadline coups and Nill’s drafting, the Stars have really supplied a good amount of depth to the list as well that should serve them well sooner rather than later in a lot of cases.
read more

More...

MetalGodAOD*

Man, Oleksiak at #6 is just a crazy indictment of how good our top 5 is.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Great read. Oleksiak at 6 is surprising, but with Dillon in there, the top 6 is rather interchangeable the lower you go.

Find me another organization as deep as ours. I know it's just HF rankings, but we have twenty-two prospects with a 7.0D ranking or better. That's absurd.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Great read. Oleksiak at 6 is surprising, but with Dillon in there, the top 6 is rather interchangeable the lower you go.

Find me another organization as deep as ours. I know it's just HF rankings, but we have twenty-two prospects with a 7.0D ranking or better. That's absurd.

Anaheim is close with 19 in that range. I personally think theirs is better with high end prospects but ours has better variety and a larger number that have a high chance of making the jump to the NHL

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I like the Guptill love. Not sure that Shore should be ahead of Faksa, though.

Who was #21 on the list, Mike?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd like to think it's Sinitsyn. :nod:

I'd bet on Ully, though.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
What's the reason for Dillon ahead of Oleksiak? I assume it's not upside based, and more that Dillon is older and more advanced having played half an NHL season?

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Don't think Dillon needs to be on prospect lists anymore. To say he doesn't excel at anything is also a bit of stretch. He can bash faces DAMN well.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Don't think Dillon needs to be on prospect lists anymore. To say he doesn't excel at anything is also a bit of stretch. He can bash faces DAMN well.

We know, we don't want him on this list and we don't have him on the poster voted list.

Honestly I think Dillon has a higher ceiling than what's commonly touted and has proven a bit more at the pro level than Oleksiak. Oleksiak should turn the corner in 1-2 years tops.

MetalGodAOD*

What's the reason for Dillon ahead of Oleksiak? I assume it's not upside based, and more that Dillon is older and more advanced having played half an NHL season?

I'd imagine it's because Dillon didn't look out of place on the first pairing as a rookie. Oleksiak hasn't proven he can be a top pairing D-man quite yet.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
First, let me apologize for the little bit of a delay in this. Work has been a beast recently. Additionally, the writing was a little bit rushed, admittedly. Normally I can do a little more homework than I did here. And about a fifth of it was written with some sort of weird migraine/headache/body apocalypse thing I had going...so it's probably barely coherent at points. I'll try to do better than the next time...

I'll just handle some comments as best I can in order here...

- It didn't originally fall like that (re: Oleksiak at 6), found the Chiasson/Ritchie/Oleksiak triumvirate to be nearly inseparable. Oleksiak, at first, won out because he's the closest to being ready. But he's also my least favorite of all of the three (I know, I know...blasphemy). So after some internal discussion, I went with this setup. It's not truly an indictment of Oleksiak - a fine prospect certainly - it really is a product of this terrific stable of players.

- Re: 7.0 ratings. And I'm pretty conservative with ratings too...that's where the smart money is, after all. The only thing is that I'll give a little leeway especially near their draft year because that upside is less certain. Those boom or bust top-six players will probably get a 7.0D from me. In retrospect, I should have knocked Glennie down a point, but then he wouldn't have made the list at all and you all would have been so, so heartbroken...

- Re: Prospect #21. It's not very fun, but based on proximity and the grading he carried over from Colorado - it was potential waiver wire fodder Cameron Gaunce. Some mentioned Cole Ully and Niklas Hansson, they were also strongly considered. Sinitsyn was not considered, as this list is not worthy of his name.

- Start to get cautiously optimistic about Devin Shore. As a coach myself, I can't stress that "good things happen when he's out there" thing...semi-bold prediction: huge year, signs his entry-level deal after the season. One step at a time though, he's now a top-10 prospect in this organization - at least, according to me.

Primetimey*

- Re: Prospect #21. It's not very fun, but based on proximity and the grading he carried over from Colorado - it was potential waiver wire fodder Cameron Gaunce. Some mentioned Cole Ully and Niklas Hansson, they were also strongly considered. Sinitsyn was not considered, as this list is not worthy of his name.

LT is currently contacting Hockeys Future and having you removed from writing about Dallas prospects. Bye bye Mike :laugh:

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'm not sure if Mike wrote that Sinitsyn comment incorrectly, I'm reading it wrong, or he was making a joke about the ironic awesomess of the Russian kid.

"Sinitsyn was not considered, as this list is not worthy of his name."

As is, this means that the list is below Sinitsyn's worth.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
First, let me apologize for the little bit of a delay in this. Work has been a beast recently. Additionally, the writing was a little bit rushed, admittedly. Normally I can do a little more homework than I did here. And about a fifth of it was written with some sort of weird migraine/headache/body apocalypse thing I had going...so it's probably barely coherent at points. I'll try to do better than the next time...

I'll just handle some comments as best I can in order here...

- It didn't originally fall like that (re: Oleksiak at 6), found the Chiasson/Ritchie/Oleksiak triumvirate to be nearly inseparable. Oleksiak, at first, won out because he's the closest to being ready. But he's also my least favorite of all of the three (I know, I know...blasphemy). So after some internal discussion, I went with this setup. It's not truly an indictment of Oleksiak - a fine prospect certainly - it really is a product of this terrific stable of players.

- Re: 7.0 ratings. And I'm pretty conservative with ratings too...that's where the smart money is, after all. The only thing is that I'll give a little leeway especially near their draft year because that upside is less certain. Those boom or bust top-six players will probably get a 7.0D from me. In retrospect, I should have knocked Glennie down a point, but then he wouldn't have made the list at all and you all would have been so, so heartbroken...

- Start to get cautiously optimistic about Devin Shore. As a coach myself, I can't stress that "good things happen when he's out there" thing...semi-bold prediction: huge year, signs his entry-level deal after the season. One step at a time though, he's now a top-10 prospect in this organization - at least, according to me.

He's already been knocked down so many points, he's practically flatlined by now, I think. This needs to be an all-or-nothing year for him.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I'm not sure if Mike wrote that Sinitsyn comment incorrectly, I'm reading it wrong, or he was making a joke about the ironic awesomess of the Russian kid.

"Sinitsyn was not considered, as this list is not worthy of his name."

As is, this means that the list is below Sinitsyn's worth.

Yup. It was a compliment to the newly-elected King of Earth, Dmitry Sinitsyn. (Seriously though, I'm excited to see him play for Regina this year...)

I also think this is last call for Glennie, last year of his entry-level, last year of waiver exemption, right? He's got a lot of work to do, it will cost the Stars $850K to qualify him next season...

Ampersand

I hear Sinitsyn is pretty pathetic. He paid the goalies in his first 2 pre-season games to let the puck get behind them.

My good friend is color man for the Pats, he keeps reiterating that Sinitsyn's offense is good, and he can be quick, but his defense is abysmal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad