Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
There is a lot further Nuke can go. He does not want to change, and as difficult as it may be for anybody connected, until a person wants to change... nothing matters.
I definitely agree with you there, if he doesn’t want to change then the Avs have to move on.

I’m kind of conflicted because I have some friends/family members going through something similar and I’m rooting them on and hoping that they figure a way out of it, but deep down I know that nothing will change until they truly want to stop and get better.

Reactions: henchman21

Golden Foppa

Nov 13, 2002
Littleton, CO
Perhaps the Avs could make a case for termination based on what happened in the hotel room last year but that's only valid if they told the truth to the league and didn't hide anything.

Addiction alone may not be ground for termination but being caught with a prostitute that sounded like a victim of human trafficking might be.

That's far worse than what Corey Perry did.
Don't forget the woman in his room punched the team doctor. If contract termination ends up being fought in court the Avs have plenty of ammunition to prove that his conduct was disruptive to their place of work. Illegal drug use, excessive drinking in a hotel room that the employer paid for and bringing people around who punch team personnel... contract termination should absolutely be on the table.

And that's just the stuff that made its way into the media. With his history there is most likely a lot more that would allow the Avs to terminate his contract for cause.

Reactions: Balthazar

Snow Arc

Genetically engineered to want to be eaten
Aug 14, 2020
Doggo has been taken behind building and shot.

RIP, Nichushkin Apologist Dog!

***IN MEMORIAM***
cosmo2.jpg

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Don't forget the woman in his room punched the team doctor. If contract termination ends up being fought in court the Avs have plenty of ammunition to prove that his conduct was disruptive to their place of work. Illegal drug use, excessive drinking in a hotel room that the employer paid for and bringing people around who punch team personnel... contract termination should absolutely be on the table.

And that's just the stuff that made its way into the media. With his history there is most likely a lot more that would allow the Avs to terminate his contract for cause.
Don't forget that the doctor isn't with the team anymore. Was he fired because he called 911?

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
I mean... there's no way this guy could f*** his team 3 years in a row. Impossible.

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
Can someone elaborate on the ability to terminate the contract? That is the main question.

If you can, its option A IMO. If not, you need to ship him and a couple of picks for nothing to someone trying to reach the cap floor.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Can someone elaborate on the ability to terminate the contract? That is the main question.

If you can, its option A IMO. If not, you need to ship him and a couple of picks for nothing to someone trying to reach the cap floor.
LeBrun said in his article (and some other insiders mentioned this as well) that at this stage the Avs don't have a base to terminate the deal. And this was from a league source.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
There is a lot further Nuke can go. He does not want to change, and as difficult as it may be for anybody connected, until a person wants to change... nothing matters.
This is true.

I'll share a bit about myself personally.

Near the end of July 2017, the woman I was in a relationship with for 9 years, that I was engaged to be marred to, left me. The lease we had on our apartment was ending, we had been looking for a bigger space, I thought we'd found something good and I thought we were going to sign and move there.

Upon telling me she wasn't, and my asking why, she answered "Because I don't want to live with you anymore..." and she proceeded to open our closet, grab a suitcase that she had already packed, and then collected a few other items and left.

At that point, I weighed somewhere in the neighborhood of 350+ pounds. I was grossly overweight, I was depressed, I openly talked about how my life would end at such a young age and I was "fine with it" (basically that I would have a heart attack). I'd already experienced an episode of random fainting due to not having enough blood pumped to my heart.

I had hit rock bottom, I just didn't realize it yet. In fact, it was 3 months later when I was seeing Arcade Fire in concert, their last song of their encore "Wake Up", helped me realize that I needed to do just that. Futhermore, the Joe Walsh song "One Day at a Time" cemented that belief. Starting in January 2018, I committed myself to changing. I went from 350lbs on 1/4/18, to 184lbs on my wedding day, 12/31/18 (yes, in the span of a year I met my now-wife, we started dating, got engaged 3 months later, and then got married later that year, and now have 4 total children, two of which are my biological kids).

The lowest I ever got was 161, I now hover in the 200 range, so I've slipped and relapsed a bit (I do suffer from a Food Addiction), but am trying to right my own ship and have to fight my battles every day...unfortunately for me, I've been losing them a lot more than winning them lately.

But at the end of the day your bolded is right--until someone wants to change, nothing will change.

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
LeBrun said in his article (and some other insiders mentioned this as well) that at this stage the Avs don't have a base to terminate the deal. And this was from a league source.
The media has said this in a couple places (perhaps similar sources).... but the mood in here is terminate the contract. So I am trying see what angle there is for termination or if its just spite speaking at this stage

The window has a cannonball size hole in it and I am trying to envision a way to salvage it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

The NHL SPC's all have this (pardon the formatting):

CBA_Cover_Front_FINAL_r1_OL

Games, International Hockey Games and Exhibition Games to the best of his ability under thedirection and control of the Club in accordance with the provisions hereof.

The Player further agrees,

(a) to report to his Club's Training Camp at the time and place fixed by the Club, ingood physical condition,

1. (b) to keep himself in good physical condition at all times during the season,

2. (c) to give his best services to the Club and to play hockey only for the Club unless

his SPC is Assigned, Loaned or terminated by the Club,

(d) to co-operate with the Club and participate in any and all reasonable promotionalactivities of the Club which will in the opinion of the Club promote the welfare of the Club andto cooperate in the promotion of the League and professional hockey generally,

(e) to conduct himself on and off the rink according to the highest standards ofhonesty, morality, fair play and sportsmanship, and to refrain from conduct detrimental to thebest interest of the Club, the League or professional hockey generally.

3. In order that the Player shall be fit and in proper condition for the performance of hisduties as required by this SPC and the Agreement, the Player agrees to report for practice at suchtime and place as the Club may reasonably designate and participate in such Exhibition Gamesas may be arranged by the Club.

CBA_Cover_Front_FINAL_r1_OL

14. The Club may also terminate this SPC upon written notice to the Player (but only afterobtaining Waivers from all other Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:

(a) fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct ofPlayers, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC.

EXHIBIT 1

(b) fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other mannermaterially breach this SPC.

In the event of termination under Paragraph 14(a) or (b) the Player shall only be entitledto compensation due to him to the earlier of the date such notice is personally delivered to him orthe date such notice is e-mailed to him.

In the event this SPC is terminated by the Club while the Player is "away" with the Clubfor the purpose of playing games the installment then falling due shall be paid on the first week-day after the return "home" of the Club.

Contracts have been terminated for less. What always happens is the NHLPA appeals, it ends up in mediation, and there is a settlement.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
G was for booze and he was the one who decided to get help.

Yes, cocaine use is insanely common in the NHL. MDMA is the other big one. Why? They give a big high, enjoyable to use, flush out of the system quickly, and they don't typically have the downsides of alcohol the next day. In the whole negotiations on PEDs, the NHLPA specifically worked to carve cocaine out of the banned substances. In international hockey (and most sports) it is considered a PED. You can connect the dots on why that was specifically carved out.

On this, Nuke was likely piss tested. It takes only 2 days (sometimes less) to be undetectable for coke. Which means Nuke has been choo choo'ing it all the way through.
Then there's probably no-way he'll get through the 6-months and come out clean. He'll void his own contract.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
If you guys know anything about hard drugs it's that they aren't something you do now and again or just occasionally. You do or you don't. He's likely been off the wagon for a while or never really clean other than his two prior strikes if he's been doing it in the playoffs. As stated, to test positive means he did it likely in the last 48 hours. Means he's been doing it non stop imo. Crazy given how well he was playing.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If you guys know anything about hard drugs it's that they aren't something you do now and again or just occasionally. You do or you don't. He's likely been off the wagon for a while or never really clean other than his two prior strikes if he's been doing it in the playoffs. As stated, to test positive means he did it likely in the last 48 hours. Means he's been doing it non stop imo. Crazy given how well he was playing.
Well that's just not true on the face of it, unless we are talking about IV-use of opioids or amphetamines or something like that. Plenty of people do recreational use of "hard drugs" and can keep it at that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

My joke earlier about letting him hammer 8 balls and bang hookers was too true... but I'll make the case that Nuke is likely at his best when his off the ice antic are at his worst.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
My joke earlier about letting him hammer 8 balls and bang hookers was too true... but I'll make the case that Nuke is likely at his best when his off the ice antic are at his worst.
you thought Vegas might be an issue! Where there's a will there's a way

Well that's just not true on the face of it, unless we are talking about IV-use of opioids or amphetamines or something like that. Plenty of people do recreational use of "hard drugs" and can keep it at that.
If you've never done let me enlighten you:

Day 1 (Friday or Saturday) - drug use
Day 2 - never again
Day 3 - sleep all day
Day 4 - starting to feel better
Day 5 - wild mood swings
Day 6 - feeling even better maybe good enough to forget the past 5 days
Day 7 - rinse and repeat

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm a fan of the Avs and I won't stop being a fan... but the Avs' actions off the is are dispicable. Only the tip of the iceberg.

To be fair, this pretty much applies to all teams across all sports.

There guys are in their 20s with pretty much all the money in the world to do what they want with it. They're going to get themselves into trouble and teams have employees on the payroll for the purpose of covering these things up.

Reactions: The Moops

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

This isn't totally true.

There's tons of NHLers who partake in some of the harder stuff during the offseason but drop it ~2 weeks before training camp.

Motivation of making millions of dollars and playing the sport they love is usually strong enough to get them off the shit when it's go time.

For guys like Nuke, again... coke, hookers, guns... it's his entire lifestyle. He's a piece of trash and wants to live life accordingly.

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
I need to put in on my conspiracy theory hat for a second.... The timing of this whole things smells. Last year was obvious with what went down in Seattle.

This year, Val is leading the playoffs in scoring and generally playing quite well. So now he gets tested?? Yes, he is in stage 2 which means he is subject to random testing... but I wouldn't put it past that whiney a$$ DeBoer to make a call to Bettman to insist Val needs a test.

Reactions: Alienblood

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I need to put in on my conspiracy theory hat for a second.... The timing of this whole things smells. Last year was obvious with what went down in Seattle.

This year, Val is leading the playoffs in scoring and generally playing quite well. So now he gets tested?? Yes, he is in stage 2 which means he is subject to random testing... but I wouldn't put it past that whiney a$$ DeBoer to make a call to Bettman to insist Val needs a test.
Let's assume for a second that this is true, and DeBoer (or whoever the f*** from Stars) got the league to do testing on him...

They did the correct thing, because he failed the test.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad