Speculation: Nic Petan end game

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What is Dubas' plan with this guy?

Is he going to be our 4th line C next season?

Included in a trade sweetener?

I still can't for the life of me figure out why Dubas' traded for him.

What do you think will happen with Nic Petan?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Probably better suited to the wing. Doesn't hurt that he could slide over to centre if needed. Have to see who else will be in and out from the forward group starting tomorrow. There's going to be at least a temporary spot for a winger until Hyman is game ready. Realistically, someone is also going to have to be the spare forward.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It feels like a waste of resources for Dubas to go out and overstock 5'9" skill players. I get playing the percentages and having to look through guys like Carcone, Ennis, Petan to find that diamond in the rough a la Steve Sullivan or Marty St. Louis, but even if we find that guy, we still have all of our other problems. I dunno, it's an odd fixation with seemingly limited realistic upside.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
It feels like a waste of resources for Dubas to go out and overstock 5'9" skill players. I get playing the percentages and having to look through guys like Carcone, Ennis, Petan to find that diamond in the rough a la Steve Sullivan or Marty St. Louis, but even if we find that guy, we still have all of our other problems. I dunno, it's an odd fixation with seemingly limited realistic upside.
Is it really though? I mean, Petan is barely making a dent in our cap-hit, and all we had to do was give up an older player with even less upside and current skill in Lindholm, who definitely didn't pan out in Toronto.

I don't think that Dubas necessarily has some kind of fixation on overstocking with small, skilled players in that Petan/Ennis/Carcone mould...I think that it is more or less that other teams vastly undervalue these players because of their size, so Dubas is able to get his hands on a lot of good players that also happen to be on the smaller side. Maybe not though. Who knows?

Reactions: Eb and Marmoset

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
What's it cost to find out? Answer: not much. If it works, awesome. If not it's not like its a boat anchor of a contract.

and if it was, we'd just trade it to Ottawa.

Reactions: Eb

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver

We traded pars lindholm for him. What resources are we wasting? Time? It’s not like we’d get a rhd for pars. We did miss the boat on colin miller though.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006

Who do you think we could've gotten with Par Lindholm? Serious question.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Who do you think we could've gotten with Par Lindholm? Serious question.

I mean in general, cumulatively at all levels of player acquisition the Leafs and Dubas have been overstocking on a player type we already have too many of:

Johnsson, Moore, Carcone, Ennis, Petan, Timashov, Dzierkals, Bracco, Brooks, Der-Arguchintsev, the 2019 draft class of forwards.

Of course there's quality and potential in this group, but you're just doubling and tripling up on what you already have, and then going out and finding more of the same.

Meanwhile, it's not like the other positions are overflowing.

The Bruins stock up on a lot of big body defensemen and guys who fit in well in bottom six roles traditionally. They plug into the depth portions of the roster well. But when we talk about the Leafs, I don't see a lot of these depth pieces contributing to balance out the roster.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I mean in general, cumulatively at all levels of player acquisition the Leafs and Dubas have been overstocking on a player type we already have too many of:

Johnsson, Moore, Carcone, Ennis, Petan, Timashov, Dzierkals, Bracco, Brooks, Der-Arguchintsev, the 2019 draft class of forwards.

Of course there's quality and potential in this group, but you're just doubling and tripling up on what you already have, and then going out and finding more of the same.

The Bruins stock up on a lot of big body defensemen and guys who fit in well in bottom six roles traditionally. They plug into the depth portions of the roster well. But when we talk about the Leafs, I don't see a lot of these depth pieces contributing to balance out the roster.
We were a much bigger team than Boston last year (we were top 10, Boston was in the 5 smallest) and have been for a few years. I think people see Chara and Carlo and get a distorted view of their size.

Boston had 13 players on their playoff roster that were 6'0" or smaller.

So roughly half their team was made up of guys the same size as Johnsson, who was the only guy on your list that played in the top 6 regularily. Size isn't an issue for this team, and if it was Korshkov, Marchment, and Engvall should be pushing for jobs this year as well.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We were a much bigger team than Boston last year (we were top 10, Boston was in the 5 smallest) and have been for a few years. I think people see Chara and Carlo and get a distorted view of their size.

Boston had 13 players on their playoff roster that were 6'0" or smaller.

So roughly half their team was made up of guys the same size as Johnsson, who was the only guy on your list that played in the top 6 regularily. Size isn't an issue for this team, and if it was Korshkov, Marchment, and Engvall should be pushing for jobs this year as well.

Marchment maybe, I can't see any scenario where Korshkov is even considered. Engvall highly unlikely too imo.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Marchment maybe, I can't see any scenario where Korshkov is even considered. Engvall highly unlikely too imo.
Engvall could probably have a shot at the wing but if we want to develop him into a center he's probably at least a year away. Korshkov hopefully starts off well with the Marlies and by mid-year begins to really push for a job. Still these guys aren't THAT far away.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Engvall could probably have a shot at the wing but if we want to develop him into a center he's probably at least a year away. Korshkov hopefully starts off well with the Marlies and by mid-year begins to really push for a job. Still these guys aren't THAT far away.
I watched Korshkov with the Marlies and don't see him as that close at all. What did you see from him that makes you believe that he's only half a season away from a job in the NHL?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I watched Korshkov with the Marlies and don't see him as that close at all. What did you see from him that makes you believe that he's only half a season away from a job in the NHL?
The points weren't there but that Korshkov-Engvall-Timashov line reaoly managed the puck well and got a lot of chances on a nightly basis.

He jumped right into a playoff situation for his first experience on North American ice and I expected a bit of an adjustment. I think training camp will be huge for him and starting the year here will allow him to get settled and comfortable.

You'd see flashes of his skill but he didnt look overly comfortable in his first stretch here. I think he can push for a call up at some point next year if he has a big first half.

Reactions: smitty10

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
The points weren't there but that Korshkov-Engvall-Timashov line reaoly managed the puck well and got a lot of chances on a nightly basis.

He jumped right into a playoff situation for his first experience on North American ice and I expected a bit of an adjustment. I think training camp will be huge for him and starting the year here will allow him to get settled and comfortable.

You'd see flashes of his skill but he didnt look overly comfortable in his first stretch here. I think he can push for a call up at some point next year if he has a big first half.
That's fair. I felt he looked pretty uncomfortable on the small ice too. He's a big kid though. Hopefully he can grind out an NHL role.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006

You didn't answer the question. You said we "wasted resources" to get Petan. What did you think Par Lindolm was going to get us? A big bruising top 6 D? The guy sucks. We were going to get a player that sucks for him in return.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Dubas dealt out an asset we weren't keeping for one we had control over. Petan can slot into the lineup as a skilled winger or if he doesn't win a spot, can be a pressbox guy, return a late round pick, or help out the Marlies a ton if he clears waivers. This type of asset management isn't flashy but it gives Toronto options and another chance at finding a real player. Give yourself enough chances at a low percentage opportunity and you'll eventually find something.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
And at the time Petan was an early servicale minimum salary player for our 4th line...nobody knew Z would do us a favor and ask out of town.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I guess he gets a look again with Hyman injured and Brown now gone...at least in camp. If he doesn't impress I think they go with the bigger additions like Agostino and Mikheyev, maybe even Marchment or Korshkov if they impress. A lot of depth on the wings, Bracco would also make it over him I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad