Post-Game Talk: Nic Cage would be proud

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Granted and I agree. But he was valued early on and became more of a failed prospect/bust in the last couple of years.
Failed infers the player was granted sufficient chance to find their way. This was not the case in STL due to the roster they had.

Kostin only ever had 46GP up with the Blues. In that time he had 5G 6A and to me that sounds like a player. Thats the kind of production one expects from a player that hasn't even been afforded a rookie season. Further Kostin play and production in AHL was good. There hasn't been a segment where the player failed or bust. Kostins situation has specifically been about getting a chance. Now he's got that chance.

To wit he has 2G 1A in only 11 games here. Prorated to a full season he'd be around our leading scorer in bottomsix. He's had a couple close chances too that didn't go in. He's been around it a lot and finding ways to get shot attempts.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Just watched highlites from game

Drai has best back-hand in the game , hands down
Kostin is quickly becoming a favourite
Yama had a great game
Holloway gonna be a great forward
Ryan had a great game
Bouch looked good breaking up breakaway. Great hustle
Keep it up Nuge

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Always nice to win, especially in that fashion, but man was that ever a bad team we played. How does the NHL allow them to ice such garbage? Was anybody else pissed when we let in that 2nd goal on their PP? I know the game was out of hand already, but can we ever try to stop the bleeding PK? Woody?! Hello?!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I enjoyed playing Arizona.
What number were you?;)

And now, after being on the road for a month, the Yotes' get to go back home. To their wonderful 5000 seat high school/college rink and their adoring fans will be waiting for them en mass at the airport.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Failed infers the player was granted sufficient chance to find their way. This was not the case in STL due to the roster they had.

Kostin only ever had 46GP up with the Blues. In that time he had 5G 6A and to me that sounds like a player. Thats the kind of production one expects from a player that hasn't even been afforded a rookie season. Further Kostin play and production in AHL was good. There hasn't been a segment where the player failed or bust. Kostins situation has specifically been about getting a chance. Now he's got that chance.

To wit he has 2G 1A in only 11 games here. Prorated to a full season he'd be around our leading scorer in bottomsix. He's had a couple close chances to that didn't go in. He's been around it a lot and finding ways to get shot attempts.

To wit he has 2G 1A in only 11 games here. Prorated to a full season he'd be around our leading scorer in bottomsix. He's had a couple close chances too that didn't go in. He's been around it a lot and finding ways to get shot attempts.
Failed/bust was a bad choice of words on my part. But the Blues obviously felt his progression was stagnant and wanted to move on from him. I didn't mind Holland moving Samourukov to acquire him as we filled an area of need with a similar prospect (not trending the right way). So far Kostin looks great and is a breath of fresh air to our bottom 6.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Failed/bust was a bad choice of words on my part. But the Blues obviously felt his progression was stagnant and wanted to move on from him. I didn't mind Holland moving Samourukov to acquire him as we filled an area of need with a similar prospect (not trending the right way). So far Kostin looks great and is a breath of fresh air to our bottom 6.
Thanks for the reply. It seemed like you were supportive of the player so I didn't follow the wording used. Yeah, Kostin is a valid prospect and found gold as it were. An example where its possible just to find other clubs past drafted players that still show promise. For our cap situation this is exactly the type of recruiting we need. i far prefer it to contracts to players like Turris that never even wanted to be here.

Reactions: McTedi

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Thanks for the reply. It seemed like you were supportive of the player so I didn't follow the wording used. Yeah, Kostin is a valid prospect and found gold as it were. An example where its possible just to find other clubs past drafted players that still show promise. For our cap situation this is exactly the type of recruiting we need. i far prefer it to contracts to players like Turris that never even wanted to be here.
There is definitely a lot to like in this player. Sometimes all a player needs is a change of scenery and the opportunity to shine. Found gold is hopefully what we have.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Always nice to win, especially in that fashion, but man was that ever a bad team we played. How does the NHL allow them to ice such garbage? Was anybody else pissed when we let in that 2nd goal on their PP? I know the game was out of hand already, but can we ever try to stop the bleeding PK? Woody?! Hello?!

I was annoyed by the 2nd goal but it's rare for blowouts to not have a couple goals come back as it's natural for the team that's winning to lose focus a bit, particularly towards the end when the game is over. Not that they should have lost focus, but I get it.

It's a light skate, but I have a tinge of concern for Skinny Boy.

Probably a maintenance day, guy has been playing a ton of minutes. Campbell starting tomorrow is all but guaranteed, Skinner will get the other Minny game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was annoyed by the 2nd goal but it's rare for blowouts to not have a couple goals come back as it's natural for the team that's winning to lose focus a bit, particularly towards the end when the game is over. Not that they should have lost focus, but I get it.

Probably a maintenance day, guy has been playing a ton of minutes. Campbell starting tomorrow is all but guaranteed, Skinner will get the other Minny game.
Yeah, just a maintenance day probably. I think he did tweak something when his leg was squeezed into the post by Ryan but he played the rest. Might have flared up a bit but Skinner has had a lot of work. The Caps game was like playing two games for a goalie in itself.

Maybe they should have Pulju doing a lot of breakaways on Campbell. it might help the confidence of one or the other...;)

I'll be nice now. haha.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
He noticeably lacks strength right now. You can see flashes of his instincts for time and space even though the game hasn't quite slowed down for him yet, but he gets thrown off the puck a lot. It negates his attempt to make plays and hold onto the puck.

Once he fully develops his strength he'll be really good. Honestly, I think he'll be better than Hyman at his peak, he shows better hockey sense even if he struggles to be effective shift in, shift out right now.
I think he is easily going to be better than Hyman. You can see it. Guhle would have been a good pick too, but Holloway is going to be a beauty.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Ironically its MacT and Lowe who had the ego habit of devaluating current players in relation to what they felt about their own play. Even when the players were talented like Comrie, Smyth, Souray, Penner etc. The one challenge for older generations is giving younger people their due.
I vaguely recall hearing something about Jerry West coming to this conclusion.

It was tough being a coach, especially as a recently retired player, because he couldn't go out and help the team on the floor... and also he struggled to understand how some of the players couldn't see the things he was seeing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What a beauty Kostin is. Gonna be a favourite
How did you Learn English?

I just pick it up here and there, I wanted to be able to say Hi my Name is Klim and I'm hungry"

Are you a rink rat? "I dunno, what is that. Oh, I spend lots of time at rink because theres lots of food here and its bigger than my hotel room. but lots and lots of food"

Just some bits but that interview is hilarious. Must watch. He's really loving it here.

Did you play PP in STL "not in game, no in practice"

Did Bob hartley teach you pk, to block shots? ""no, in practice, you kiddng, no"

The guy is just funny throughout interview. The funniest Russian interview since Bryzgalov.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I vaguely recall hearing something about Jerry West coming to this conclusion.

It was tough being a coach, especially as a recently retired player, because he couldn't go out and help the team on the floor... and also he struggled to understand how some of the players couldn't see the things he was seeing.
The bolded tends to be a big reason why uber talented superstars rarely make good coaches. They have no idea why they do the incredible things they do. It is just an inate ability to do things others can only dream of. Which is likely why the plumbers and hard working lesser lights turn out to be the coaches, due to their diligence during their playing days, to pay attention to every detail to stay in the league.

Last edited:

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
The bolded tends to be a big reason why upber talented superstars rarely make good coaches. They have no idea why they do the incredible things they do. It is just an inate ability to do things others can only dream of. Which is likely why the plumbers and hard working lesser lights turn out to be the coaches, due to their diligence during their playing days, to pay attention to every detail to stay in the league.
lol for a second there I thought this was simpcity.su oop, I just leaked that. Well, have fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad